Installing a fuel filter - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installing a fuel filter
Friday, January 28, 2005 3:19 PM
I have an 03 cavalier coupe. I'm trying to change the fuel filter. Does anyone know where I can find it, I haven't looked yet, but if i have an idea where to go it will save me some time. Thanks for your help.

PS if you have any pointers or instructions on installation of the filter that would be appreciated too. <br>

Re: Installing a fuel filter
Friday, January 28, 2005 3:25 PM
sorry i cant help ya., but being curious, i have to ask, why do you need to change your fuel filter on an 03?
Friday, January 28, 2005 4:18 PM
i have a 03 and im having to change mine to the dealership told me HMM
<br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 4:29 PM
Shoule be in the back near Ur rear end of Ur car........If it's like mine Be Careful! They're about half a pain in the A$$.
Good Luck <br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 4:31 PM
BTW Ur Best Bet if Ur going to do ur own work would be to buy an Haynes Reapair manual if they have one out for it. <br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 9:21 PM
Just trace the Fuel lines back, it should be near the rear of the vehicle.. I have to change mine soon. (62,500....03') It should be a round cylindrical looking thing that are connected to the fuel lines.
-James <br>

http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user=03lssprtcavy&category=Cavy&file=stabbar.jpg
After downshifting into 3rd, and redlining, might as well find 4th and find the speed limiter....its therapeutic.
Friday, January 28, 2005 11:10 PM
Mine was $70 at the dealer, which is a rip, but , f-in with pressurized fuel is dangerous, and I don't know the CORRECT way to relieve fuel pressure on the ECO, a hack way is to use a rag around the fittings as you SLOWLY release the fittings.
Some cars you remove the fuel pump relay while the motor is running, let it stall, and do it, but I'm not sure if that will work in this case, maybe someone else can verify.
Saturday, January 29, 2005 8:30 AM
Would I be better off letting the car run out of fuel before I attempt it? That should help depressurize the fuel lines. And will the rag idea work? Custom97Sunfire did you change yours yourself? Let me know if you can help me any. Thanks. <br>

Saturday, January 29, 2005 5:25 PM
while the car is running, remove the fuel pump relay from the fuse box in the engine bay. its right next to the battery. your car should then cut out. mine does almost immediately. this is how you are supposed to depressurize the fuel system.

to remove the fuel filter, using two adjustable wrenches will be fine. the other end of the filter will be held together with a green tab lock. with a flat scew driver, open the tab on one side of the fuel line and then push through the whole green locking piece. this may sound vague but once you see it, you will know what to do.

make sure you have a bucket for any extra fuel that will be in the lines. an old rag will be good also if you dont want fuel to spray around and for clean up. installation of the new filter is the reverse of the removal process.

btw, a filter at autozone or your preferred auto parts place should be around $10-15.

<br>

Peace Out!!!
Sunday, January 30, 2005 8:07 AM
Thanks fuzzy, I'm waiting for a nice day and I'm gonna give it a shot. I purchased a FRAM filter for about $9. You make it seem pretty easy so I'm gonna try to do it myself. I'll be sure to make sure I have a gas can standing by just in case I lose too much fuel during the change lol.

Thanks. <br>

Sunday, January 30, 2005 9:16 AM
The filter is pretty easy to replace. Flip open the green plastic retainer and push it partially out. No need to completely remove it through the slot in the fuel line. Then just pull the filter out. Discard the little plastic clip on the new filter if it has one. The plastic clip is for the older models and is not used on yours. The other end of the filter you will need two wrenches to remove the flare nut. When I replaced the filter on my 2002 Cavalier I didn't depressurize or remove any fuses before I removed the filter. I just placed an oil drain pan under the filter to catch the gas that ran out of the filter and removed the flare nut end first. <br>

God bless America.

Sunday, January 30, 2005 9:21 AM
^^ good point about the plastic piece!!

<br>

Peace Out!!!
Sunday, January 30, 2005 12:40 PM
Here's a site with pictures and instructions Fuel Filter Instructions
Sunday, January 30, 2005 2:11 PM
That website is awesome, perfect instructions, thank you very much for that. I think a monkey could do this, it's amazing my dealership wants $90 for the job.

Thanks. <br>

Sunday, February 27, 2005 6:42 PM
no joke. I replaced mine today (2000 cavalier 2.2). peice of cake. the notes above had me freaked out, but no problems.

Crazy Ass Bob
Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:57 PM
im not sure about how to depressize the fuel line.

dont let it run out of fuel first.

get some flare wrenches and some rags, even thou depressizing the line will lose pressure, some gas will still be present. then just use two wrenches to unsrew it.

you should be able to find it easy, its not that hard to pick out, if you kno little knowledge about cars you should be able to find it no prob.

-Borsty
Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:17 PM
yeah, @!#$ 95-99 filter's are horrible to do, had to get a shop to cut mine off and put the new one in, took 2-3 hrs for everything, and they quoted me $20, suckers :p

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search