trunk latch - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
trunk latch
Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:19 AM
So i'm sitting in the middle of michigan, 300 miles from home, and suddenly without any reason whatsoever, my trunk refuses to close. I am probably going to just take it to the dealer to get it fixed but, has anyone else had this problem?

the kit on my car made it sometimes a little difficult to shut the trunk without a good push, but the latch just isnt taking.

Re: trunk latch
Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:02 PM
I had that problem.... ended up that I had to bend up the striker some. Haven't had a problem since.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:12 PM
same shiet happened to me i was getting madder each time i slammed it harder then it dawned on me bend the latch back up and walla no issue no more.. now for the dent i put in my fender from my fist is the next issue.. he he

beer is like a chick.. well not really its just beer, it be cool thou huh?

Friday, February 18, 2005 1:29 PM
make sure your trunk release is pushed all the way down, that happened to me once driving around town couldnt see out of my rear view and got confused

Ill get a pic of my car soon ;p
Team4
Friday, July 20, 2007 2:05 PM
damn..40,000k later..mine does the same...my dealer wanted 150 though and i said no thanks..
its tied down right now...they said i could replace the bracket myself which i think i might do..but would anyone have a part number?
Monday, July 23, 2007 4:58 AM
Ig the striker is attached by bolts, loosen them and adjust the hight.

walt
Monday, July 23, 2007 7:33 AM
I have/had this problem with my 04, been to the dealer twice and it was never fixed correctly

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 5:21 AM
About two years ago my manual trunk release next to the driver's seat stopped "resetting" on it's own. I need to push it back down before the trunk will latch. Could be related to your issue.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:09 PM
I took my wagon to the body shop and he adjusted the tailgate latch for $15. My electric remote wouldn't let go and the gate wouldn't always close tight. Yeah, nobody thinks of the body shop for trivial stuff like doors not closing. These guys have seen ALL the bent metal.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:55 PM
Geeky wrote:About two years ago my manual trunk release next to the driver's seat stopped "resetting" on it's own. I need to push it back down before the trunk will latch. Could be related to your issue.

Pull the plastic cover off the manual trunk release and see if the return spring is broken/unhooked.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:06 AM
Greg Z. wrote:
Geeky wrote:About two years ago my manual trunk release next to the driver's seat stopped "resetting" on it's own. I need to push it back down before the trunk will latch. Could be related to your issue.

Pull the plastic cover off the manual trunk release and see if the return spring is broken/unhooked.

Quite possible, and even if it isn't, I know the cable or trunk latch is probably too stiff for the spring to return properly anyways. Seems like lubricating only helps for a month or two. Plus, my key hasn't worked with the trunk lock for as long as I can remember -- goes in, but doen't budge the tumbler. I probably have more than a few issues with the whole setup.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 9:13 AM
wow..my problem was fixed...i guess after soo many times of closing the trunk..it moves the striker down..i had to unbolt the

striker and bring it up!!..then tighten bolts again..now the trunk needs no force to shut..it clicks in an instant
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search