Help with a clunk - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help with a clunk
Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:00 PM
We just took the transmission out of my buddy's 99z24. It is a 5spd. He had something comming apart. The transmission shop returned the thing, and we put it back in. After getting everything back together, on the maiden voyage, we heard a clunk. It isn't just any ole clunk, but only on decelleration, with the rotation of the tire. clutch, brake, gas speed, turn or not, weather, up or down hill, nothing seems to matter. I initially thought it a cv shaft comming apart. However I reasoned it out to possibly a bad outer tie rod end. The sound definately comes from the drivers side. The outer tie rod end does have a cracked boot, and needs to be replaced. However, it isn't wollered out and blatently bad. After consulting a mechanic he trusted other then me, he decided it was the cv shaft, and spent the 70 bucks on a new one. We replaced it, and... same damn thing. We cannot recreate the sound in a controlled circumstance, and in no way can you hear the sound outside of the car as it happens. I walked next to the car, he heard it loud and clear, and I just couldn't hear it. I even sat in the engine bay as he drove to try to hear it. But you just can't hear it. any ideals on that, or just replace the damn tie rod end and see what happens?

Re: Help with a clunk
Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:28 PM
I guess nobody has any suggestions.
Re: Help with a clunk
Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:28 AM
ck motor, trans mnts?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search