TRANSMISSION PROBLEM??HELP!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TRANSMISSION PROBLEM??HELP!!
Monday, February 14, 2005 1:37 PM
ok, i have a 97 z24 with 88000k on it. i have this annoying HIGH-pitched noise coming from the front left side of the engine bay between 30-40mph. it is a manual trans and is definitely in the drivetrain considering the noise varies with speed. if i am just cruisin (hardly on the gas) at about 35 mph the noise is the loudest. when i slow down and almost come to a complete stop, i can also here clicking noises coming from the same spot. the problem has not yet affected the drivability of my car but i would like to cure this annoying problem. i feel it is in the transmission (output shaft??) but would rather hear it's maybe a bad cv-joint or something less intensive.

let me also say that on colder days the high-pitched noise is louder than on warmer days. any ideas or diagnosis for this would be greatly appreciated. thanx

Nathan S. Nace

Re: TRANSMISSION PROBLEM??HELP!!
Monday, February 14, 2005 5:39 PM
Have you checked the wheel bearing? If you can make the noise change by applying the brakes lightly at the time, or by turning gently to the right or left (to change the load applied to the bearing), then it is likely the bearing. My neighbour's 95 Cav made quite a noise from the bearing around 30 mph, but I found I could easily make it vary by veering slightly right or left. Bearing changed, problem solved.
If that's not it, it could easily be in the output shaft as you have guessed. Is the car lowered at all? If so, it's possible that the CV joints are working overtime due to the different angle they are required to work at. Typically CVs make most of their noise when turning though, so it's rather unlikely. High pitched noises are more typical of bearings.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/2002sunfiresl/Modified%20sunfire2.jpg
Monday, February 14, 2005 5:51 PM
my car is not lowered yet, just purchased it. i did think of the wheel bearing and with that said it does need to be replaced but that is a totally different noise or feeling in the steering, this is more of a high-pitched whinning noise which is not affected by sway or steering of the car.
if it is the input-output shaft what kind of maintenance options do i have and what kind of money am i looking at?? would a rebuilt transmission be my best bet??

Nathan S. Nace
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 3:25 PM
i have a 96 cav, and ive been haveing the same problem, i think. once i get up to 35mph it makes a loud ass noise, but with my car, it revs really loud... like struggles to get in to 3rd gear, when i let off the gas it stops, and i have to keep doing that to get to the next gear. i got a tune up. got everything changed, also new tranny fluid and lucas tranny @!#$. and it didint help, the mecanic whitch ive known for years said my tranny is about to die. my car has 145,000mi on it. also i have a automatic, witch i hate. i dont know if this all helps you, only if you think your car is doing the same thing mine is
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search