Uh, oh. (rod bearing/timing chain) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Uh, oh. (rod bearing/timing chain)
Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:38 AM
Whats up people, my 99 Z24(in my reg.) has an issue. I will give you a little backstory,

Yesterday i was leaving work and a buddy of mine with a fiero GT were going for a ride around the parking lot in my car, I was being hard on the car as I was showing it off to him. well after we finished driving in my car, he took me for a ride in his fiero, when i went back to my car and left the parking lot .

I noticed a ticking sound that got louder and more frequent with my RPM's , getting loudest at 3000 rpm or so. it makes the sound loudest through 1st and 2nd gears. and it can be heard slightly in 3rd gear. the sound is also coming from the far right side of the engine when you are in the drivers seat.

However, sometimes it doesnt make the tick sound at all, also there is no loss in power or hesistation. the car has 78 thousand miles, so i was thinking maybe a rod bearing, but if it was a rod bearing wouldnt that noise be constant? another possiblity is maybe the timing chain or timing chain cover? the car is a quart low on oil right now, so as soon as i can im going to add some.

thx for any replies,

Re: Uh, oh. (rod bearing/timing chain)
Sunday, February 20, 2005 4:01 PM
anyone?????

Sunday, February 20, 2005 4:41 PM
PhoeniX --

If you have an old wooden broom handle, cut it....about 24" long....(or use anything

similar.)

Put it up against the different surfaces of your engine while it idles...

Listen with the wood also against your ear...

This cheap "stethascope" might get you some idea where and what's wrong....

Let us know...
Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:59 PM
if its a rod bearing, you'll know very shortly as it WILL start hammering like mad very soon...

Monday, February 21, 2005 1:29 PM
yea rod bearings are LOUD you cant miss them.... put some oil in it and everythng seems like it will be fine. it sounds like the lifters are low on oil because the car is.. who knows... put the proper amount of oil in it and let us know.. and if its the2200 ticking noise is normal for that motor...

Saturday, April 23, 2005 7:46 AM
i'm running into the same prob

if it sounds like a grinding sound, its the timing chain probably scraping against the timing cover, or you could have possibly broke/bent the timing chain guide.

I'm tearing into my 2200 this weekend to replace the timing gears, chain, and tensioner I'll let you know how it goes (if the weather ever clears)

if its a rod bearing, it'll sound more like a loud hammering... like, if you were to smash a sledgehammer onto a sheet of 1/4" thick aluminum in a giant empty room 4000 times a minute.

I'd say check the chain first... also if you spin a bearing, the car should feel noticably slower/ not running correctly... my car still runs pretty strong it just has this ungodly grinding noise from the damn chain...

Saturday, April 23, 2005 3:01 PM
phoenix, i have the EXACT same problem, i beat on my 99 sunfire gt, and like a hour after ticking started, was low on oil, filled up, same noise, only happens mostly 1st and 2nd gear, so if you find the problem give me a shout
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search