Tips on 2.4 alternator removal - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tips on 2.4 alternator removal
Saturday, February 26, 2005 8:38 PM
Not much room to work on this & wondered if anyone had some suggestions for taking out the alternator on the 2.4. I read that you first had to jack up the car to get to a bolt from the underside of the engine as the first thing to do. From there how is it as far as taking out the bolts on the top side when the bolts are so close to the engine?
I did a search but didn't find too much there.

Re: Tips on 2.4 alternator removal
Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:20 AM
when i took mine out i didn't even have to jack up my car i just squezed my hand back there and took them out but i do remember that putting one of the bolts back in was a really b@#tch. once all bolts are you turn the alternater every different way until it comes out. it may seem like it wont come out but it does.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:42 AM
I jacked up the car and don't even see the bolts because the air compressor is in the way. Anyone got any other ideas? I may have to try it from the top but not sure I can reach the bolts.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:53 AM
All I did was take the belt off..There are two bolts on top that have to come off and one on the side...u can get to it from the side under the intake manifold....I had it out in 10 minutes...O and there is also a electrical connector...Then it just slides right out from the top.

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!
Sunday, February 27, 2005 10:12 AM
Okay will give it a shot. I only see one nut on the top but will be feeling around for the other bolts on the side under the intake manifold.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:15 AM
IT'S A BIOTCH!! Jacob changed mine yesterday, and threw tools all over the yard. He has no patience. There are two bolts on top, and one on the bottom side. The bolt under the intake manifold does not need to be removed, just loosen it and the alt. mount is notched so it slides under that bolt, also easier to get it to line back up. We took the radiator hose off the resivor to make room. not too bad then, but the belt is a PITA to get back on. Good luck

Sunday, February 27, 2005 12:32 PM
have fun it sucks i'm a mechanic and i hate doing them ......

I AM the man from Nantucket
Sunday, February 27, 2005 4:54 PM
I am going to try and find a longer 13mm wrench before I get this done. Hey Crystal thanks for the finer points on the manifold bolt,,/!
Instead of getting the alternator done today I took off my TB to send it out to be bored. My problem with my alternator is the bearing making some noise.
So while I wait for the TB to be bored by Bolt on Horsepower I will tinker with this crazy alternator.
Thanks for the great tips and yes no matter how much you tell me, I am going to get upset and throw the serpintine belt around to get over the frustrations.....

Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:07 PM
Not a problem. Thats what my alternator was doing and it was very annoying especially when it was cold. The three mounting bolts are 15mm, and the power wire on the back of the alternator I think is a 13mm.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:48 PM
That helps to know all the bolts holding this monster to the engine are 15mm.
When the snow stops falling on Monday I will dig my Cav out & then play mechanic. Thanks for the info
Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:52 PM
When I did mine I kinda screwed up. I got the two bolts on the top but I couldn't find the third one. So I just pryed it out and it came out but, when I looked at the bracket I broke the lower one. I didn't really care cuz I got a new one, I just glued it back on and took it in to get my core charge back. Once you have it out you'll see where all three bolts go, just make a note as to where the lower one goes. It is a real bag to get it in and even bigger bag to tighten it up. Make sure you plug the connector in the right way. Oh and to get the belt off, turn the idle pully away fron the belt (towards the back of the car). When I did it it took my like 4 hours but thats cuz I have never done it, now I could get it done in like 1 hour.

Monday, February 28, 2005 7:08 AM
I know the feeling about taking forever to get that belt off and on. I also know about gorilla mechanics when you say the hell with it, I know this sucker comes off and I am going to prove it even it kills me.

TO get way off the subject my father told when I was a kid for me to change a tire on his car that had left handed lugnuts on the left side wheels of the car. It was my first tire change by myself and I was bound and determined to take off that tire one way or another.
All I could think about was how tight the dam nuts were as they didn't budge no matter how hard I pulled on the lug wrench to the left I was defeated each time I tried.
Well I got this brilliant idea that standing on the lug wrentch was a good way to get them loose.. After jumping onto the wrench five times I sheared off a few studs like they were butter.
When Dad got home he told me that he forgot to tell me they were left handed lugnuts on the left rear.

It showed me that metal can be ripped apart when you put your mind to it.
Kind of crazy when I think about it now.

Good story on not getting that one bolt off on the alternator and still getting the dam things out to replace it with another one........
Monday, February 28, 2005 10:49 AM
While it was snowing this morning I got off the two top bolts and the bottom on the side and found out taking out the alternator was pretty easy once you know where the bolts are. There were some aluminum fillings coming out of the alternator so I think I got it out to have it rebuilt at the right time.
I looked in the Clinton manual and it said jack up the car to get to the bottom bolts and that is totally the wrong way to do this job. Thank god there are some smart people on here to correct some of the manuals out there.
My Hayes manual didn't even list anything about the 2.4 only the 2.2. It seems like the 2 manuals I have couldn't figure it out or explain it correctly and that says a lot for the people on here for knowing a lot of good stuff.
Tuesday, September 08, 2009 1:27 PM
Jim wrote:While it was snowing this morning I got off the two top bolts and the bottom on the side and found out taking out the alternator was pretty easy once you know where the bolts are. There were some aluminum fillings coming out of the alternator so I think I got it out to have it rebuilt at the right time.
I looked in the Clinton manual and it said jack up the car to get to the bottom bolts and that is totally the wrong way to do this job. Thank god there are some smart people on here to correct some of the manuals out there.
My Hayes manual didn't even list anything about the 2.4 only the 2.2. It seems like the 2 manuals I have couldn't figure it out or explain it correctly and that says a lot for the people on here for knowing a lot of good stuff.

The Chilton's doesn't even have the 2.4 listed! Never buy Chilton's again, ever. If they are so 'un'thorough about things like this, they don't deserve my money. Garbage.
Tuesday, September 08, 2009 6:22 PM
my chiltons has it listed for my 2.4....

OLD THREAD.

nwuonline.com
Proud member on JBNW.org
JBO member since 2004
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 7:45 AM
The other question is. Can you remove the alternator from a 2.4L with the GM S/C kit on it withouth having to pull off the S/C.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search