Fuel Pump Reinstall - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel Pump Reinstall
Sunday, March 13, 2005 3:49 PM
Hello guys,

You may have read some of my other topics about the 2002 tank in a 98. I decided to drop that project considering the cost and issue obtaining a 2002 tank.

Anyways, I need to reinstall the new fuel tank and I'm done preping the thank for install.
The pump hoses are very stiff and hard to install. Is there a particular trick to installing these hoses?
Do I just keep working at them until they slide in?

Thanks!

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -

Re: Fuel Pump Reinstall
Sunday, March 13, 2005 7:08 PM
pump hoses......? please elaborate more

Monday, March 14, 2005 7:14 AM
There are 3 hoses that run to the pump.One is for fuel, one is for return and one is for whatever... I'm trying to slide them on the connection on the fuel pump side. They are hard to impossible to slide on. I was wondering if there's a trick to reinstalling the fuel, return and unknown hose connections?

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:18 PM
Anybody has a clue. Has anybody completelly disconnected their fuel pump. If so, how did you get those hoses back on the pump?

SoupMan

Monday, March 14, 2005 9:23 PM
if i am not misttaken, they have the HARD plasic lines, in wich case, soak them in boiling water, wich will soften them up, and then quickly slide them on! before they harden and cool! if i remember right, this should help emensly
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 4:32 AM
dude you just line up the clips and they slide right in. do you transfer your clips form your old pump to your new pump? If you cock the line you can mess up the o-rings in the lines, look in side the lines and if it looks cocked you messed it up, in that case you can buy new connnectors. I usually just pull out hte old o-rings and pull the new ones out and put them in the original line. If you have to replace hte connector you will have to do the boiling water thing. Put you should not have to soak the connectors in water just to put them on hte pump. Hope this helps.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Monday, March 28, 2005 5:40 PM
Thanks guys,

This weekend I finished the job. The weekend before I tried the boiling water thing and didn't seem to soften up the lines enough. I got fed up and purchased a heat gun. That worked very well. I believe the line are sealed well. I added clamp to ensure a tight and firm fit.

Thanks for your help.

SoupMan

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search