P0141 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
P0141
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 11:35 AM
i got the code just the other day, i cleared it but now its back again. the P0141 is the heater sensor not reading the correct temp within specs. is this the O2 sensor after the cat? if it is then i might not have either tightened the sensor in when i took it out, or 2 i lightly put some anti-seize/lube on just the bolt area-not on the sensor itself and somehow thats causing the check engine light. i really dont know exactly what the code is, im only assuming that since the O2 sensor was the only oxygen sensor i was tinkering around with. plz anoyone let me know what this code means, thanks in advance.

Re: P0141
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:05 PM
Usually, when winter hits alot of people get the HO2S codes come up for heater performance codes. This is because the PCM needs the see the O2 fully heated in under 1 minute on obdII cars for emmisions. if that heater lags a little it will throw that code. I doubt its because you took it out and put it back in inless it isnt tight. This is the sensor after the cat. So go see what a new sensor costs. You'll be happy you have a domestic car, newer toyota's are up around 200$ a piece and have 4 of them. Your's should be like 20$-40$. Check to see if its loose like finger tight though, if thats the case just tighten it to specs, which I dont know offhand. Goodluck -Phil

Speed costs... How fast ya wanna go??
<a href="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pj1987">My old cars</a>
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:13 PM
so the sensor is the bank 1 sensor 2 or known as the after-cat O2 sesnor? i did finger tight the bolt around it. i guess i gotta tighten it to specs then if thats the case. but what does the after-cat O2 sensor has to do with the heater inside my car?

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:23 PM
O2 sensors have to be around 800 deg. F to work properly. Your after cat O2 sensor should have 4 wires going to it. 2 wires being the internal heater(+) and (-). The other wire is volt. referance, and the other is the signal. The heater is inside the O2 sensor, not HVAC. They put the heater in so it gets up to about 800 deg. faster then just letting the car warm up for 5 minutes to run leaner earlier... for emmisions. So now thats its cold out it may be 50 deg colder out meaning it has to work alot hard to get to 800 deg. If its a little slow, the computer will put out a code for O2 heater perfomance. you could probley get away with putting it a little tighter then snug witha wrench.. good luck with that

Speed costs... How fast ya wanna go??
<a href="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pj1987">My old cars</a>
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search