ecotec interference engine - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec interference engine
Thursday, December 22, 2005 11:52 PM
I SEARCHED. THIS WAS THE ONLY POST I CAME UP WITH: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=47&i=31379&t=31379#31379

Now that we have that bullsh!t out of the way for all those who would rather bitch, is the ecotec engine an interference engine? also, has anyone broken a timing chain yet? Is it a timing chain or timing belt? Will excessive RPMs cause the timing system too much stress or is another part of the engine likely to die first?

Thanks. I know these seem like stupid questions, but i think the ecotec is too strong to break stock (or simple boltons), so there is not a lot of this information out there.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP

Re: ecotec interference engine
Friday, December 23, 2005 8:56 AM
I have rebuilt one Ecotec engine so far, for a class I took. Has a timing chain by the way.
Although it looks like a great engine it isnt tried and true yet.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Friday, December 23, 2005 9:06 AM
all the tensioners on the chain are derived with oil pressure. so if no pressure it will jump timing and break all the intake valves. the valves will touch the pistons enough to leave marks but not deep ones.

atleast its that way on the 2.0 motor

Friday, December 23, 2005 9:14 AM
WOW why the hate? It has a chain and so far I haven't heard anything about any breaking.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, December 23, 2005 9:56 AM
No hate at all man. I'm glad it has a chain, they are more reliable than belts are.

My Ecotec will hit 20,000 tonight, so far, so good.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Friday, December 23, 2005 10:23 AM
I've got 50k Km on mine and all I've had to do so far was replace the cooling fan... had a big blizzard followed by a big rain storm and the puddles of water on the road shorted it out...
It was under warranty so I don't really care too much.
I just recently switched to Mobil 1 and i find a noticeable diff in sound, performance, and fuel economy.
IMO...its a great motor, and has a descent amount of power to start with.
'Bout time Chevy came on line with a global engine... and got rid of the ol' push rod beast.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search