shop suggestions to replace strut mount (nor-cal) - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
shop suggestions to replace strut mount (nor-cal)
Friday, August 05, 2005 10:34 AM
hey nor-cal folk. im still new to sacramento and i need my passenger strut mount replaced. anyone have a shop in mind that will do it for a good price? the one near me wants like 200.00. i dont think it needs to be that much. thanks for your help guys.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-

Re: shop suggestions to replace strut mount (nor-c
Friday, August 05, 2005 12:37 PM
It's pretty easy to do, I'd help you out if you were closer.

Friday, August 05, 2005 12:59 PM
thanks man. that would have been great and fun. how much and where should i purchase a strut mount?

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Friday, August 05, 2005 1:02 PM
Get the Monroe strut mates. Should be around $50. Can get them anywhere that sells Monroe struts. Parts Plus or Autozone.

Friday, August 05, 2005 1:15 PM
i hate how expensive they are... get me 2 lolol

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, August 05, 2005 4:48 PM
which strut mounts are you replacing?

Friday, August 05, 2005 4:56 PM
Hey Josh, I'll help you out. I'm only an hour away, and I have all the tools that are needed.

Friday, August 05, 2005 6:26 PM
i need air tools to take the top nut off and throw a washer in then remount the nut at 60 lbs or what ever

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, August 05, 2005 6:27 PM
kick azz gabe. ill let you know when i get them. thanks. of course ill supply BBQ and beer again.

ryan: i need the passenger front replaced. its making god awful noises when im driving.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Friday, August 05, 2005 6:30 PM
thats a really easy job with air tools. just make sure you have a spring compressor if you need one. you dont want to end up in the hospitol. i would help but it seems like cracker rocket is really close and has the tools you need. Good luck! and get a meet planed soon, i finally have the j kickin strong!

Friday, August 05, 2005 6:42 PM
what sort of noise is it making? my car was making a creaking noise after i replace my struts. i just tightened the strut rod nut and the noise is gone.

Peace Out!!!

Friday, August 05, 2005 7:18 PM
its making a grinding like noise at the same time a kind of knocking noise. you can see the strut nut and shaft tilting rather than facing straight up.
what had happened was i got those cheap ebay coil overs a few years back and the shop that put them on didnt tighten up the nut all the way. so after driving like that for a while, the shaft going up and down wore into the mount. i replaced the struts, got some springs, but did not replace the mount. so now i need to replace it. hell, if the tools are hear, ill maybe take care of that stupid knocking noise in the back from the rear struts. well thats what i hear its from anyway in the 3rd gen forums. i guess they need to be tightened or something of that sort.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Friday, August 05, 2005 10:28 PM
mine does the same thing!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED AIR TOOLS SO BAD! my friend with them josh has them unhooked because they just moved. His wont be avail for like 2 weeks

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Saturday, August 06, 2005 12:13 AM
I can do the job without airtools, at least I didn't have to use any when I installed my suspension a few weeks ago. It just takes a tad bit loger, thats all. Hey Josh, drop me an e-mail when you get your mount, and I'll see about coming up there and giving you a helping hand.

Saturday, August 06, 2005 3:14 AM
i cant get the mofo to budge... its impossible to use a socket, and the wrench doesnt fit well down in the "cup"...

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Saturday, August 06, 2005 3:29 AM
it seems very feasable to use a deep well socket and a nice beefy 1/2 drive wrench or tourque wrench (not the best for it but it works). remember and this is very important USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR!!! only reason you wouldnt use one is if your springs arent under and NONE AT ALL preload when the shock assemble is removed. if you have stock springs you have to but i dont know on aftermarket. just make sure your careful

Saturday, August 06, 2005 8:18 AM
use a larger wrench or a pipe to get some extra leverage. you'll definitely need it.

Peace Out!!!
Saturday, August 06, 2005 9:06 AM
the nut and mount will then spin guys... you cant turn the nut off without some counter force which is the reason for two wrenches or an impact air tool. And a spring compressor is somewhat nessasary. For lowering springs not really and for stock... well i got lazy and didnt use one. But i would recomend it to anyone else. and im not trying to take them off, im trying to replace that nut when they are on the car under a load so they dont shoot off.

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search