Accident opinions? - Page 2 - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Accident opinions?
Friday, October 28, 2005 5:09 PM
hey guys been outta the loop for a while now my car was in an accident 13 days ago, my car also looked like it was just the front bumper and a headlight and windshield. no core support damage or misalignment. car still ran and drove fine.
they totalled mine as well cuz of "subframe damage"
i guess that is what u get with a 5star front and 1 star side crash rating, lol.
any input on a new vehicle is greatly appreciated
oh yeah it wasnt my fault =(

Friday, October 28, 2005 5:59 PM
i have input...

BUY A TOYOTA/HONDA

GO PATS!!!
Friday, October 28, 2005 9:36 PM
MiKeDiRnTRuLeZ wrote:Look on the bright side, more motivation for that Mazda you wanted!

Just make sure you get a faster car than mine... stop being the slowest one in the house.

Me and dad were lookin at the Mazda 3's online......that may be my next car......

[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]how much was the estimate for the damage ??

maybe try another shop ??

seriously it doesnt look very bad , and i cant imagine its value is lower than the cost to fix it , plus if you owe anything on it

that sucks serious dookie that they want to total it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a side note , if there isnt any major damage to the intake , let me know 1 of my firends will buy it from you

The estimated cost of repairs was $5,176.34. This was including a $499.00 towing charge, and the shop "couldn't find" any used parts, so the parts that were quoted are all new OEM parts. $5,000+ is outrageous, there is no way there is $5,000 worth of damage, and I am getting burned out and don't want to go through the hassle of taking it to another shop, I'm ready to just throw in the towel.....

The value of it? Not too sure, I'm getting conflicting reports from KBB, TMV, Autotrader sales, etc. I'm hoping to get $5,000 from it (I owe $3,500 on my loan)

Fortunately, I have my stock intake, so removing the AEM one shouldn't be a problem. You can see a little bit of damage just before it angles down into the TB, but it's just cosmetic and the intake isn't actually damaged. I still have to remove my rear strut bar, navigation, lcd, amp, subs. Everything else is staying in the car. Oh and I'm taking my dashmat with me also.

Sparks wrote:

if you need a car, i always know people trying to get rid of vehicles for fairly cheap. and chris' best friends dad runs a "out of garage" dealership. he's always got a lot of cars.

kinda bad timing, but i just remembered i wanted to ask you...do you have an extra drivers side clear corner? after 2 years mine is starting to get moisture in it all the sudden.

I might take you up on that offer. I'm dying not having a car to get to/from work (without relying on my bro's car, which I owe him a lot because he's saved my ass)

Which clear corner do you want? The Toyota one that is on the car is actually the only one (driver side) that isn't damaged! lol. I also have a set of the APC ones chillin in my closet.

04silvercavy wrote:hey guys been outta the loop for a while now my car was in an accident 13 days ago, my car also looked like it was just the front bumper and a headlight and windshield. no core support damage or misalignment. car still ran and drove fine.
they totalled mine as well cuz of "subframe damage"
i guess that is what u get with a 5star front and 1 star side crash rating, lol.
any input on a new vehicle is greatly appreciated
oh yeah it wasnt my fault =(

No offense, but I've learned that Cavaliers are cheap to own, expensive to repair. I'm still in @!#$ awe and shock that they quoted me $5,000 to fix what minimal damage is done to my car. I seriously think it could all be fixed in 1 day. I don't have 1 day to fix it though, I've barely got a few hours to myself in a week.

Sparks wrote:i have input...

BUY A TOYOTA/HONDA

I've never been fond of Honda's. I like the interior of the new Civic, but I despise the exterior. The only Toyota I've considered buying is the Scion tC.

Friday, October 28, 2005 10:52 PM
Sorry to hear about your car. I just joined up myself. I've been a J Owner for awhile but am going to sell her for a Scion Tc with custom lights. They have better styling and looks and the most important thing right now if dependability. At least I won't have to haggle. They take advantage of girls like me =P Tell us what you plan to do Ron
Saturday, October 29, 2005 9:30 AM
i'll take the cheapy apc's off your hands. how much?

my mom was looking at the mazda 3's before she had her surgery. pretty good cars. rather quick, reliable (so far), and put together pretty well. if you watch the ads, you can pick one up for around 15k. its still a ford though.

as far as your car...if you find used parts you can EASILY knock a grand or so off their price. then take another grand off for labor fees. i say get your car back, buy all the parts used. i'll help you put it together and then pay someone to fix the cross member if its bent. let me know what you're gonna do.

i'll help out any way i can. and i'll get with chris' friend to see what kinda stuff his dad has in stock and what he's asking for it.

i'll get back to you. you gotta work today? gimme a call.

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, October 29, 2005 9:33 AM
...oh yea. if anything, get your car back. we'll put it back together. re-register it under a salvage title cuz its been called totalled. then sell it for 5 grand.

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:29 PM
Shawna Toolie wrote:Sorry to hear about your car. I just joined up myself. I've been a J Owner for awhile but am going to sell her for a Scion Tc with custom lights. They have better styling and looks and the most important thing right now if dependability. At least I won't have to haggle. They take advantage of girls like me =P Tell us what you plan to do Ron

I'll let ya know on Monday, lol. I don't know what I'm gonna do yet until my insurance company tells me how much I can get for the car.

Brian: That would be pretty fun to put the car back together again. Make it a project, give us something to do. Maybe my fiance and your wife can go shopping or something while we work on the car, haha. This would be a good time to put aftermarket hood and stuff on the car huh? Lol

Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:13 PM
lets do it dude. like i said in my PM. my labor fee is the apc clears in your closet and a 6 pack of bud select. you could probably get all the peices you need for under 2grand...let me know bro. i could use a project right now...tired of chillin by myself every day after work in AG forum

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:22 PM
when you get off work tonight, come over and we'll make up a parts list...see how much you'd be looking at to do it yourself

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:39 PM
i keep adding stuff i know...if your subframe is bent...we can cut it out and chris can weld in a new one...he's been welding for like 2 years now...

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:47 PM
Sparks (Puddin') wrote:when you get off work tonight, come over and we'll make up a parts list...see how much you'd be looking at to do it yourself

Can't come tonight, got a Halloween party that my girl wants me to go to. But I'll scan the paperwork I got from the body shop and e-mail it to you, so you can see what kinda damage we're lookin at.

Actually you know what nevermind, I forgot the body shop e-mailed the list to me, I'll shoot it over to you right now.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 2:00 PM
i think we can do it ourselves for less than that. i'd have to see the car to look at all the stuff they're talking about. then take a trip to pick a part or something like that. they're charging you for emblems, taping of the car for paint, hood latches and stuff. a lot of that you can (good citizens of america close your eyes) put in your pocket at pick a part. i'm good at getting little peices. the bigger stuff is still cheaper anywhere else. hell...we can go to pick a part and find a cav thats been rearended or something and just take the whole front end. i'd really have to look at it though...it doesn't seem to look like its THAT hurt. the big stuff is easy...the little stuff is annoying, but a lot of the stuff like the hoses and crap can probably be reused and just straightened. know what i mean. bail on the halloween party and let me take a look at the car.

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, October 29, 2005 3:42 PM
called the three local pick-a-parts. none of them have an inventory of whats in the yard so we'd just have to go look. but they all said if we can find it...hoods, fenders, head light assemblies are all 25-35 a piece. then we'd just have to worry about all the little stuff between the bumper and the radiator.

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, October 30, 2005 11:09 PM
Sparks (Puddin') wrote:called the three local pick-a-parts. none of them have an inventory of whats in the yard so we'd just have to go look. but they all said if we can find it...hoods, fenders, head light assemblies are all 25-35 a piece. then we'd just have to worry about all the little stuff between the bumper and the radiator.

They had a z24 at the riverside ecology that looked JUST like yours, only this one was a 2 door.

Monday, October 31, 2005 12:57 PM
hey ron, want a z24...? ha, here back from the insurance yet? let me know before i fall asleep!!

GO PATS!!!
Monday, October 31, 2005 2:39 PM
Sparks (Puddin') wrote:hey ron, want a z24...? ha, here back from the insurance yet? let me know before i fall asleep!!

Dude, that z24 was all messed up.......funny thing is that both of my headlights, and my passenger corner light are all broken......and the only one that was broken on the z24 was the driver corner light. So if I get the car back, I know where to pick up some headlights and corner lamp.

I called the insurance company, they advised that they wanted to pick the car up from the body shop and take it back to their location for an appraisal. My claim adjuster said that it takes about 2-3 days to hear back about the appraisal and I go from there. I should finally be able to find out by the end of this week. I'm so nervous, I'm afraid they are only going to offer me like $2,000 for the car.

Monday, October 31, 2005 5:03 PM
offer you 2k for the car to take it from you? or 2k for you to fix the car with?

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:40 AM
I'd say expect less than 3500 bucks. Do your self a favor and get something dependable tho. My boyfriend has a Mazda 3 and its falling apart @ 20k miles. Still handles nice but creaking noises everywhere. Solid when its new expect when the miles roll up. Sorry Ron, I love my cavy but when shes through I am gonna buy a new car and nt fix my baby up.
Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:20 PM
hey ron, you can have my cavailer for 8 grand and your car...

by the way, does the car still run or no?

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:43 PM
Sparks (Puddin') wrote:hey ron, you can have my cavailer for 8 grand and your car...

by the way, does the car still run or no?

Haha, you're nuts.

After the accident, the car ran (shaking horribly) and smoke was coming from the engine bay. I turned the car off, then about 10 minutes later I tried starting the car and it wouldn't start at all. My guess is because all the coolant leaked onto the ground and there wasn't any to start the car. I don't know for sure why the car doesn't run anymore though.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 1:57 PM
eh, you probably pissed it off

GO PATS!!!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:11 PM
you dont need coolant to start the car. you need fuel air and ignition. the engine will run just fine without coolant until it gets to the point of needing to cool down.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:18 PM
in the quote that ron sent me, the only thing they stated needing replaced that would effect the car starting is the battery. hey ron, wtf, respond!

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:59 PM
Battery was fine, all my electronics worked (hazards, alarm, brake lights, etc.) so I don't know why the car wont start........

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:15 PM
are you planning on scrapping the car or getting money from the insurance company to fix it yourself?

GO PATS!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search