Riverside area trustworthy repair shop - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Riverside area trustworthy repair shop
Friday, January 20, 2006 8:02 PM
Hey guys, I have a 96 Z24 that needs a little work, but unfortunately my man isn't really into wrenching on cars and I need to find a decent shop to take it to. Can anyone recommend a place near Riverside (or IE area) that won't screw me over? I know I need a clutch. I would prefer to buy a Centerforce (if one's available for my car) and have someone else put it on for me, just paying for the labor. I also need my AC fixed. Those are just the necesities for daily driving.
Can anyone help? Also, can anyone direct me to a decent shop that sells performance parts for Cavi's? I'd like to put some small engine mods on as well as some cosmetic stuff. I used to own a Saturn (don't laugh, it WAS cool, until someone ripped it off) and had the hardest time finding parts for domestics then, too. Any help will be appreciated!

Re: Riverside area trustworthy repair shop
Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:32 AM
Tom/Trent Chelbana in Moreno Valley.

Guaranteed to be the best mechanic you ever took your car to. He never BS's you, is extremely cheap, and does a good job.

I highly recommend himn to anybody looking for anything being done to their car. I NEVERA take my car to a mechanic but now he changed my mind... he is the only mechanic I would ever take my car too.

If you're interested, I can give you his phone # and address.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:35 AM
He also does air conditioning..... cheap.

He repaired my whole system of R-12 and recharged it for only $80. And R-12 is like almost $50 a lb. now so thats saying alot.

I'm not kidding.... you have to check this place out. He does work at his house but he also builds sand rails for Glamis on the side, probably the best welder i've ever seen too.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:36 AM
as far as performance parts go, you'd be better off finding them online and putting them on yourself, cheaper and gets you around the hassle of finding someone. karo at carcustoms.net is a local guy that has decent prices.

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, January 21, 2006 10:41 PM
MiKeDiRnTRuLeZ wrote:He also does air conditioning..... cheap.

He repaired my whole system of R-12 and recharged it for only $80. And R-12 is like almost $50 a lb. now so thats saying alot.

I'm not kidding.... you have to check this place out. He does work at his house but he also builds sand rails for Glamis on the side, probably the best welder i've ever seen too.

He has an a/c refrigerant exchanger at his house? Strange.

Monday, January 23, 2006 8:24 AM
i don't know about people who do work from their garage...working on a friends car is one thing, but running a business??

GO PATS!!!
Monday, January 23, 2006 8:52 AM
eh, Sunfires... (Tom) wrote:

huh? My car takes R-12. Its a 1990.

Monday, January 23, 2006 8:53 AM
The Redneck wrote:i don't know about people who do work from their garage...working on a friends car is one thing, but running a business??

Thats what I said before I went there.
Once youve been there and had work done then you can form an opinion on him.. he's not like other mechanics youre thinking of.

Monday, January 23, 2006 9:54 AM
eh, i've known my mechanic since before i could drive. haha, his name is dad. anything i can't figure out, dad helps with. IF we both can't figure it out, we take it to A1 Automotive off of Perris and Alessandro. my dad has known the owner since before i was born.

GO PATS!!!
Monday, January 23, 2006 12:28 PM
The Redneck wrote:eh, i've known my mechanic since before i could drive. haha, his name is dad. anything i can't figure out, dad helps with. IF we both can't figure it out, we take it to A1 Automotive off of Perris and Alessandro. my dad has known the owner since before i was born.

I agree, I usually fix my stuff then go to my dad, then go to Chelbana for things that I cant do (like air conditioning and such). I'm glad you have found a mechanic you trust, there definitely are good mechanics out there, I just had VERY bad luck before. There was this old dude who installed a new steering rack in my g/f's Wrangler and the steering wheel was installed crooked. Weve taken her car everywhere and everything got so messed up until we found out the Career enrollment at my high school (Tom Chelbana) had a son that did side work. We were skeptics but we took our car there and he does outstanding work. Tom used to drag race back in the 70's and held the world record for the fastest 1/4 mile. He's had over 3 Camaros, 4 Z's (Ranging from 280 to a 300zx) and he taught his son everything.

I just recommend him to everybody now, but I wouldn't doubt your mechanic either.

Monday, January 23, 2006 2:34 PM
know anyone in the area that does good paint work for cheap?

i need to get my skirts painted and maaco wants 275...bastards!!

GO PATS!!!

Monday, January 23, 2006 6:15 PM
The Redneck wrote:know anyone in the area that does good paint work for cheap?

The guy right across the street from us used to paint cars......not sure if he does it anymore.

Monday, January 23, 2006 6:47 PM
MiKeDiRnTRuLeZ wrote:
eh, Sunfires... (Tom) wrote:

huh? My car takes R-12. Its a 1990.

You know one possibility that "r-12" was sooo cheap?

He could have put propane in you system. (they still do this in mexico)

You still need to evacuate the old refrigerant. (the epa needs to see how much you take out of cars, and put back into cars.) And then recharge the system. Unless he uses that autozone pressurized can crap.

I myself am epa 609 certified (can handle and work on a/c systems) But you still need to have the shops equiptment certified and a whole bunch of other stuff that the epa looks at.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:32 AM
RoNuS20 wrote:
The Redneck wrote:know anyone in the area that does good paint work for cheap?

The guy right across the street from us used to paint cars......not sure if he does it anymore.

The black dude? I wouldn't trust him with anything.

eh, Sunfires... (Tom) wrote:You know one possibility that "r-12" was sooo cheap?

He could have put propane in you system. (they still do this in mexico)

You still need to evacuate the old refrigerant. (the epa needs to see how much you take out of cars, and put back into cars.) And then recharge the system. Unless he uses that autozone pressurized can crap.

I myself am epa 609 certified (can handle and work on a/c systems) But you still need to have the shops equiptment certified and a whole bunch of other stuff that the epa looks at.

He's certified to do A/C repair.... so I doubt he filled my car with propane. Hasn't leaked or done anything for a year now so I dont really care if he did, as long as my A/C works i'm happy.

It was cheap because we know his dad extremely well.... he's the one that sets the prices. My g/f and I did alot of things for him in high school, so I think it's sort of a "I know you so you're cool" basis.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:28 PM
Cool.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search