Radio install - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Radio install
Sunday, February 05, 2006 2:23 PM
ok i got a new radio for my cavi. Now i also everything i needed for it. Also the cord to put the factory radio in the trunk. My problem is that now the only thing that works is the factory radio and one speaker. The aftermarket radio doesn't come on at all i don't know what to do can anyone help thanks.

Re: Radio install
Sunday, February 05, 2006 4:38 PM
Why do you still have the old factory headunit? I would ditch that and install the new one. You might have some wires crossed as far as the speakers not working....

Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:52 PM
Why don't you post this in the audio electronics forums? Or even search them....I would believe there is info there for installing an aftermarket deck....Check here There is way more in that forum I just gotta get ready for work......

www.team-koketsu.com

www.okwerdz.com
Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:36 PM
You keep the oe head unit to keep the cars chimes when you open the door and various other things.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:06 PM
I thought you could get the harness that lets you keep the chimes and stuff. I bought a cheap 7.00 one of ebay and still have mine.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:12 PM
ok well sorry for posting it here also i found out how to do it but there is one problem there is too black wires i don't know witch one to cut help me please

Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:13 PM
Yeah i had to get the dang harness from best buy that was a 116.00 but i dont have the factory unit. My friend went the cheap way and some things dont light up in the tach.

Oh kenny sign in to messenger need to talk to ya on well you know what

Hope you get the radio problem solved
Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:49 PM
ok now i am upset ok first i just found out why my deck isn't working the orange wire in my car is hooked up to the lights so when i turn my lights on the radio comes on. next. Now all i hear is rumbleing from my back speakers what in the hell is making that noice someone help

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:03 AM
Soory but that some funny stuff right there i would say you need a new wiring harness, if not take it to best buy and let them diagnoss the problem.
Monday, February 06, 2006 12:32 PM
ditch the wiring harness, ditch the factory cd player, go to best buy and get a harness for a 2000 tracker, plug and play.

GO PATS!!!
Monday, February 06, 2006 7:03 PM
Only difference with the "special" expensive harness is it takes your chimes and diverts them to a standalone chime speaker which you usually tuck away in your dash somewhere. Whereas the factory chimes, obviously come through the factory speakers. Also, don't quote me on this one, but I believe the factory harness also will keep the stereo on when you turn the car off until the front driver's door gets opened, but that may be a factory deck option only.

You've already done most of the work, I say re-check your wires and make sure you got the right harness. Obviously you tapped your power wire into your headlight wire, so you need to re-do that, and my guess is that the rest of your wires are not spliced together correctly.

That's my best guess, hope it helps you out.

Monday, February 06, 2006 8:05 PM
ok well i got the harness that everyone told me to get. the one for the s-10 02 now i get power but the radio doesn't come on at all i can push the eject button and it will make a sound like it is ejecting a cd but the radio still doesn't turn on. what should i do?

Monday, February 06, 2006 8:36 PM
Interesting......

If the unit is getting power (motor noise when pushing eject button) then that is fine, my guess now is that the radio is dead.

I really can't think of any other scenario, the unit is getting power, just not turning on.

Monday, February 06, 2006 8:44 PM
I say...there is a real major problem here.....rewire everything and start from the beginning....post something in "audio" or research....something is crossed some way or another.....just start over.....I had to do this once before in my friends Sunfire....I just read something in audio to figure it out.....damn those GM techs and their technology....

www.team-koketsu.com

www.okwerdz.com
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:39 AM
Kenny Baldwin wrote:ok well i got the harness that everyone told me to get. the one for the s-10 02 now i get power but the radio doesn't come on at all i can push the eject button and it will make a sound like it is ejecting a cd but the radio still doesn't turn on. what should i do?

the harness only incorporates the 12V wire. you now need to take the ignition wire from the aftermarket deck and run it to the fuse box on the side of the dash. use a tester and find a fuse thats only on when the ignition is on. plug the ignition wire in to that fuse (most people use the wipers) and you SHOULD be good to go.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:30 PM
is that why when i hit the power button it doesn't come on?

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:53 PM
yep, it has the 12v from the harness to keep the time, presets, audio levels...but it needs the ignition wire to know that the car is on...

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:26 PM
another easy way is to look under the steering column and hook up your red wire from the stereo to the fat PINK wire. That's the accessorie wire

OBJECTS ON MIRROR ARE FORDS AND HONDAS
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:41 AM
i woulda said splice into a wire under the dash, but a lot of people are scared to cut in to factory wires...

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 12:08 PM
so cutting the pink wire and hook up the red wire to it should make it work correctly right?

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 12:26 PM
yep, or if you're not comfortable cutting wires, it works just the same if you plug it in to the fuse box...thats how i've had mine for 4 years.

GO PATS!!!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:28 PM
just curious, you get it yet?

GO PATS!!!
Monday, February 13, 2006 11:40 AM
yea it is all good thanks for the help everyone

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:30 PM
Now only if you could fix the problem that we are having kenny, i would really appriciate it very much
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:02 AM
^^^Whats your prob? My guy might be able to help.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search