I have some problems - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I have some problems
Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:26 AM
Got pulled over last week..made me pop my hood...and the @!#$ wrote me a ticket for my AEM cold air intake...got home thinking he is full of @!#$ because I have a carb number on it...well the carb number on it was for the air bypass (which come to find out is only CARB approved up to an 2002 cavi) so here I paid alot of money for this @!#$ that was supposed to be legal and @!#$..and AEM says well the CARB #s are still pending!!!GRRRR...so out comes the CAI before I go to BAR with this ticket!

Elmer the wricer hunter..."Shhh be vewy vewy quiet...I'm huntin wrice"
Kill da wriiiicer...Kill da Wricerrrrr..kill daaa wriccceeerr!!!

Re: I have some problems
Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:46 AM
wow. sucks man. sell it and use the money towards an injen intake.
it is one piece so the carb number HAS to be for the whole component. good luck man.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:05 PM
Wow that sucks the 03 isn't CARB legal. I would of assumed it was.

Monday, March 20, 2006 9:51 AM
Yeah AEM will sell their intakes with CARB pending status. You really have to look closely. They will send you the CARB sticker once it's approved, tho'.

My question is did the cop check the carb # before writing you a ticket, or write it not caring about the sticker?

---

Monday, March 20, 2006 6:07 PM
AGuSTiN wrote:Yeah AEM will sell their intakes with CARB pending status. You really have to look closely. They will send you the CARB sticker once it's approved, tho'.

My question is did the cop check the carb # before writing you a ticket, or write it not caring about the sticker?

I tried to get away with it cuz the air bypass had its carb sticker in the pipe of the intake..the cop said I dont care about a CARB number its still a modified smog devise..and wrote it..I showed him the carb number on the intake but he didnt care.

But to update the situation..the place that put the CAI on is reinstalling my OEM intake for free and paying my BAR bill cuz they never advised me that is was NOT legal..and legaly shouldnt have ever put it on a car if it wasnt legal...I got lucky with that..so my advise watch the fine print...and also in California i found out exhaust tone has to be under 98 db...so I need to probably replace that one of these days too~LOL~ or get a silencer for it

Monday, March 20, 2006 6:33 PM
I could be wrong, but I swore exhaust noise is 95 dba.

Monday, March 20, 2006 10:35 PM
95 +- 1.5 to be exact.

Give or take depending.

Monday, March 20, 2006 11:31 PM
wut exactly do they write you up for? is it just a fix it ticket or wut? if it is just pay the 10 bucks and put it back in

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:14 PM
Ok i know that this is off the subject but i was wondering. does anyone have a turbo in cavi and been pulled over what happened do the cops know that it is not suppose to be boosted or what?

sorry did you not want me to pass you?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:22 PM
antonio mcintyre wrote:Ok i know that this is off the subject but i was wondering. does anyone have a turbo in cavi and been pulled over what happened do the cops know that it is not suppose to be boosted or what?

honestly it going to depend on the cop. most dont know @!#$ about cars, especially what they are suppose to look like under the hood. and i depends on how shiny it is, if you pop the hood and they see a polished turbo they think it wasnt there stock.

Also its illegal for them to pop the hood without a warrent. it would violate your rights if they forced you to open it or open it themselves without asking. but its one of those you might not want to push it just to save a headache or too, because cops will be an @!#$s if you tell them @!#$ like that.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:36 PM
When it comes to smog/emissions they don't need a warrant to pop your hood. If you refuse they will impound the car and take you to jail.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:33 PM
When I lived in IB I got pulled over on the Silver Strand near Coronado. A cop can legally ask you to pop your hood because the sky's blue and the grass is green. (When it comes to smog related items they do not need a warrant or even probable cause.) I popped my hood and he noted the illegal parts. I never did get popped on the turbo (he didn't see that) I had, but rather my intake and the FMU. You have to return your car back to stock ( or CARB legal) and go to the smog ref and have everything ok'd. You then have to go to court which depending on the court can fine you. Then you go home and put all your goodies back on until you get your hood popped again. And the fines increase everytime.

Out of the 3 or 4 times I got pulled over in Cali I only had the hood popped once.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:20 PM
out of 20+ times ive ever been pulled over he asked me to pop my hood. when he did i had a chrome intake he didnt say a damn thing about it. kinda stupid. but i have done alot of the same things twice and my tickets never get any higher..i use to get a ticket for blue neons everyweekend

Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:11 AM
-=Shadow=- wrote:
antonio mcintyre wrote:Ok i know that this is off the subject but i was wondering. does anyone have a turbo in cavi and been pulled over what happened do the cops know that it is not suppose to be boosted or what?

honestly it going to depend on the cop. most dont know @!#$ about cars, especially what they are suppose to look like under the hood. and i depends on how shiny it is, if you pop the hood and they see a polished turbo they think it wasnt there stock.

Also its illegal for them to pop the hood without a warrent. it would violate your rights if they forced you to open it or open it themselves without asking. but its one of those you might not want to push it just to save a headache or too, because cops will be an @!#$s if you tell them @!#$ like that.

A warrant is only required for searching somebody's property in which they reside in. A cop does not need a warrant to search your car.... anywhere on your car at that.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 4:21 PM
i just got pulled over this morning on my way to work. asked what kind of exhaust i had. i replied with "OBX DTM's". he had no idea as to what i was talking about (which is why i said it) and then asked if i had anything under my hood. i says, "sir, this is a sunfire. all i have under here is what cali lets me. i have carb numbers for the intake and header which are the only things i CAN put on here. check if you want". he said its ok and to put my front plate back on.
cool guy. im sure he'll recognize me next time he sees me.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:20 PM
the only reason i am asking is because as of right now i am starting to loose hope in my car. don't get me wrong my jbody has done great things for me but like the other day me and my boy came to a stop light and he wanted to test out his new car so i looked at him and backed up about half a car and when green came we went and he won. but the bad thing is it was a civic, 95 i am sorry but that really made me mad and i know i can shift with the best of them. but anyhow that is why i asked about the turbo because i can only see that as an answer on the track at the Q. is there any hope for my j?

sorry did you not want me to pass you?
Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:40 PM
^^^ I would'nt be so hard on your Cavy.You have to consider the fact that is civic(assuming it's a Hatch) weighs much less than a stock Cavy. And also is his car a V-TECH or maybe a twin cam b-16 engine. Because in that case there;s no way you could have won. But if his car 's just a single cam non-v-tech then you just don't know how to drive.

OBJECTS ON MIRROR ARE FORDS AND HONDAS
Friday, March 24, 2006 12:53 AM
antonio mcintyre wrote:the only reason i am asking is because as of right now i am starting to loose hope in my car. don't get me wrong my jbody has done great things for me but like the other day me and my boy came to a stop light and he wanted to test out his new car so i looked at him and backed up about half a car and when green came we went and he won. but the bad thing is it was a civic, 95 i am sorry but that really made me mad and i know i can shift with the best of them. but anyhow that is why i asked about the turbo because i can only see that as an answer on the track at the Q. is there any hope for my j?

see in my case. if i want to go fast i have the dsm, which is turbo goodness stock so i dont have to worry bout emmisions. otherwise put a gm charger on (if you have the LD9). if you have the 2.2 then there isnt any street legal boost for cali for the j platform yet.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 11:49 AM
Tricky Stylez wrote:
AGuSTiN wrote:Yeah AEM will sell their intakes with CARB pending status. You really have to look closely. They will send you the CARB sticker once it's approved, tho'.

I tried to get away with it cuz the air bypass had its carb sticker in the pipe of the intake..the cop said I dont care about a CARB number its still a modified smog devise..and wrote it..I showed him the carb number on the intake but he didnt care.

But to update the situation..the place that put the CAI on is reinstalling my OEM intake for free and paying my BAR bill cuz they never advised me that is was NOT legal..and legaly shouldnt have ever put it on a car if it wasnt legal...I got lucky with that..so my advise watch the fine print...and also in California i found out exhaust tone has to be under 98 db...so I need to probably replace that one of these days too~LOL~ or get a silencer for it

More bullcrap...AEM gave me a CARB# with the air bypass for the intake right?..well come to find out that yes its street legal for other cars..but guess what NOT my car yet..it is still pending even though AEM keeps telling me its legal and I have the CARB EO for it..CARB thenselves keep telling me (after hours of arguing with them) the CARB# is not valid for my car ..the part is legal in california for almost all cars except cavis. AEM still denys this even though I have told them that the parts are NOT legal for my car they still keep trying to tell me it IS legal for my car...so my aunt(a lawyer) is now getting involved in this and says we are going to take AEM to court I guess.....myself im getting too freakin stressed about this..BAR wont pass my car untill wither i have valid CARB#s or put my stock intake in....the company that sold me the intake( CNC Motorsports) said it was too long ago..and wont switch out intakes for me unless I pay there $60 shop fee for doing it even though I brought up about them intalling illegal parts on cars and telling people they are legal..so my aunt I guess wants to go after them also...I dont know what to do..Im tired of all this crap....thinking about selling my cavi after all this

Saturday, March 25, 2006 12:29 PM
IZN TRBL wrote:sell it and use the money towards an injen intake.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:12 PM
IZN TRBL wrote:

There Intakes are NOT legal for my 2003 Cavi either dude

Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:48 PM
Eh I fear that I will be screwed if I ever get pulled over.

Nevada registration for great justice!

Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:35 PM
Tricky Stylez wrote:
IZN TRBL wrote:

There Intakes are NOT legal for my 2003 Cavi either dude

well, going off of your cars profile, i found this in just a matter of minutes....

http://www.injen.com/application_intakes.html

00-04 Cavalier 2.2L
Ecotec only
Manual Trans. NEW

on the pipe where it has the injen logo in red, that is where the carb number is.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:54 PM
IZN that's an application guide not a CARB EO. http://www.injen.com/carb.html

03+ Isn't listed

Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:21 PM
Man... California laws are crap.

Everyone just get a GM SC.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search