Bay Area Engine Help Needed - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bay Area Engine Help Needed
Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:33 PM
so im about 90% sure im going to be buying the SAAB ecotec turbo setup (this should be carb legal after all the saab one is carb legal) and I was wondering if anyone was willign to help me install this. Apparnetly everythign is cut and its a direct bolt on, but I would feel better with someone there who knows whats going on. Thanks!

Re: Bay Area Engine Help Needed
Saturday, May 06, 2006 11:16 PM
ummm you do have to drill a hole in the girdle in the back of the engine.....but its pretty easy.....btw im in az not cali

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Saturday, May 06, 2006 11:32 PM
DayUSeX (ws6+04cav= FTW) wrote:so im about 90% sure im going to be buying the SAAB ecotec turbo setup (this should be carb legal after all the saab one is carb legal) and I was wondering if anyone was willign to help me install this. Apparnetly everythign is cut and its a direct bolt on, but I would feel better with someone there who knows whats going on. Thanks!

I'll hopefully be doing the same thing before the end of the year.

You'll need to have charge pipes fabricated. Brandon here on the org is selling pre fabed charge pipes.

But the turbo will not be carb legal on a cav or sunfire. It'll look semi stock but not ca legal.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:18 PM
also , it will NOT BE carb legal

just cause it came from 1 car does not mean its legal on another car

Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:16 PM
wait wait wait wait, so if i put this in my cav, even though almost 90% of all the parts are from a carb legal car, it wont pass smog????!!!!!!!!

Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:22 PM
prolly pass smog but not visual test, depends what shop you take it too, even if it doesnt pass theres ways around it

Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:47 PM
can somone pm me these ways around it, or shops that might be willing to help out at all?? thanks

Monday, May 08, 2006 11:39 AM
DayUSeX (ws6+04cav= FTW) wrote:wait wait wait wait, so if i put this in my cav, even though almost 90% of all the parts are from a carb legal car, it wont pass smog????!!!!!!!!

yup you got it

parts are only tested and given approval for the cars tested on

factory parts do not have CARB approval , as they are factory parts for a specific car

Monday, May 08, 2006 8:51 PM
I think your best bet would be to save up and purchase the GM S/C kit for the Eco. It may cost a bit more than the turbo, but at least its warrantied and reliable from what I've heard.

Monday, May 08, 2006 8:52 PM
...and its CARB legal

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 7:44 PM
engine swaps ARE legal, if it comes from a same year or newer car, with factory california emissions packages intact, then taken to a referee station and recertified where you will be smogged as the car the engine came from.

see

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

scroll down to engine changes...also see

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm

also, I've posted before but on the side:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search