RIP LACR - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RIP LACR
Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:49 PM
Quote:

Move over Riverside International Raceway, Ontario Motor Speedway, Lions Raceway, 605 Speedway, Saugus Speedway, El Cajon Speedway, and Mesa Marin Raceway: Los Angeles County Raceway will soon be added to the long list of tracks closed in Southern California.

The Antelope Valley drag strip, which opened in 1965, will host its final event this weekend. Shortly thereafter, the mining company that owns the material rights will wipe the strip off the map.

LACR has been a home to street legal drag racing in recent years and also hosted NHRA divisional meets. Until California Speedway opened its strip in 2001, LACR was the only quarter-mile drag strip available year-round to Southern California racers.

While I don't live in the area anymore, I do have quite a few memories of this track. It's sad to hear this news.

Au revoir.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: RIP LACR
Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:59 PM
i was there the 22nd for the last PDD(pontiac drag days)

ill miss it

Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Gone? Those @!#$s.

There needs to be more tracks opened up not closed down in this part of the country.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Friday, July 27, 2007 2:36 PM
got my competition license on that track. won my first round win on that track. met my wife at that track when i was all of 2 years old. i'll miss going there for sure, but it just wasn't safe anymore.

last i talked to bernie, he was going to try to open LACR up again in a different location....hopefully.

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, July 28, 2007 8:19 AM
there is a track under construction in Banning dragcity.net

Also Irwindale and Perris run 1/8 mile on Thurs and Fridays
Saturday, July 28, 2007 2:25 PM
banning has been "under construction" for about 6 years.

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, July 28, 2007 3:13 PM
7 years'ish according to the website. Also, it seems like they'll start building later this year.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:01 AM
The Redneck wrote:got my competition license on that track. won my first round win on that track. met my wife at that track when i was all of 2 years old. i'll miss going there for sure, but it just wasn't safe anymore.

last i talked to bernie, he was going to try to open LACR up again in a different location....hopefully.

yup he is opening a new location

in freakin alabama , he got tired of the crap from the city and county , and had issues with the quarry and renewing his lease , from what i understand during 1 of the meetings , he basicly got tired of their antics and said im done , you both get what you want , im outta here

Monday, July 30, 2007 6:25 PM
::Bows Head::

While it was a pretty @!#$ty track it was still a place to go race and close to me at that.

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:28 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(™)]
The Redneck wrote:got my competition license on that track. won my first round win on that track. met my wife at that track when i was all of 2 years old. i'll miss going there for sure, but it just wasn't safe anymore.

yup he is opening a new location

in freakin alabama , he got tired of the crap from the city and county , and had issues with the quarry and renewing his lease , from what i understand during 1 of the meetings , he basicly got tired of their antics and said im done , you both get what you want , im outta here

yep, i was in palmdale this weekend and swung by the track for its final race. didn't know bernie was moving...sucks. my family has known bernie and lacr since i was a little kid (24 years old now), we've been close with him and his family since my dad took over the Southern California Pro Gas Association. Got to spend a lot of time in the offices and up in the tower. It was cool to see how the track was run and stuff.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:08 AM
ive been going to LACR since the late 70's that i can remember , my dad and i used to help a good friend of his out at el mirage dry lake bed , where they do the top speed racing , and we would stop at lacr and flip the gears in the quick change and make a few passes

when i got my elco i used to drive out there to go racing , its fun going faster than car with huge slicks , parked on trailers , then driving home , LOL

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search