Cali boosted - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cali boosted
Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:29 AM
ok...i know some of us are boosted and are in Cali...im getting ready to try to turbo my 03 cavi...how do you guys pass smog? it just wont pass visual right?

Elmer the wricer hunter..."Shhh be vewy vewy quiet...I'm huntin wrice"
Kill da wriiiicer...Kill da Wricerrrrr..kill daaa wriccceeerr!!!

Re: Cali boosted
Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:58 AM
If you can't pass visual you don't even get the opportunity to move onto the sniffer. I don't have to smog my car for another couple of years, but I'll either have to go back to stock, or CARB legal parts, or pay through the nose and find a shop that will "overlook" the mods.

But all that's a moot point if you get pulled over and have your hood popped. If they see something they don't like, legal or not, they can send you to the State run Smog Ref and you WILL have to be legal to pass them.

In the future you should post CARB related questions in the CA region so you don't get 300 replies from people far from CA that don't know what they are talking about.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:10 AM
FstCavZ24 wrote:If you can't pass visual you don't even get the opportunity to move onto the sniffer. I don't have to smog my car for another couple of years, but I'll either have to go back to stock, or CARB legal parts, or pay through the nose and find a shop that will "overlook" the mods.

But all that's a moot point if you get pulled over and have your hood popped. If they see something they don't like, legal or not, they can send you to the State run Smog Ref and you WILL have to be legal to pass them.

Bingo thats what happened to me and my car was registered tagged for IL where all my parts were legal. Good luck cops out here are dicks.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:36 AM
I did post in cali forum but noone would respond

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:40 AM
You posted 10 mins later in the CA forum. Give people some time to see it also don't post the same topic in multiple forums. It's against the rules.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:43 AM
calm down chad ..geesh

Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:16 AM
FstCavZ24 wrote:If you can't pass visual you don't even get the opportunity to move onto the sniffer. I don't have to smog my car for another couple of years, but I'll either have to go back to stock, or CARB legal parts, or pay through the nose and find a shop that will "overlook" the mods.

In the future you should post CARB related questions in the CA region so you don't get 300 replies from people far from CA that don't know what they are talking about.

you dont have to pass visual unless ur a "select" few that te dmv picks at random. If you dont have to go to a test only center - there is no visual. As long as u have no CEL's - and of course u pass the actually emission u would be good to go at a non-test only center
Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:10 PM
Jonathan shumacker wrote:

you dont have to pass visual unless ur a "select" few that te dmv picks at random. If you dont have to go to a test only center - there is no visual. As long as u have no CEL's - and of course u pass the actually emission u would be good to go at a non-test only center

Wrong, the visual inspection is required no matter what facility you go to or are sent to. Down below is the order they are supposed to do the tests by law. Most smog places will do the visual first because if you don't pass that they don't want to waste their time doing the rest. Even when I was sent to the smog referee, which is the most strict AND gov't ran test (trumps test only facilities), he did the visual first.

The State of California requires smog technicians to perform the smog test in the following order:

1. Emissions (Tail Pipe) Inspection
2. Visual Inspection - Inspect for presence of Emissions Components
3. Functional Inspection - Inspect Check Engine Light, Ignition Timing, EGR valve operation, Gas Cap pressure test)

Snip it on Test only facilities.
Test-Only stations, as the name suggests, can only test vehicles and are not allowed to perform smog related automotive repairs. A Test Only station's main obligation is to insure a non-bias and accurate smog inspection. If your vehicle fails the smog inspection and requires repairs to pass, they must be conducted at a State Certified Test and Repair smog station.

The State of California uses the following three strategies to determine whether a vehicle is Test-Only designated or not:

1. Gross polluters (vehicles which have failed a previous smog inspection with very high emission readings)
2. High Emitter Profile vehicles. These are vehicle types designated by the Bureau of Automotive Repair as having high chances of failing the smog inspection.
3. A random sample of the vehicles on the road.

If your vehicle needs a Test-Only inspection don't be alarmed. Simply locate a convenient test center and proceed with the inspection. The smog technician conducting the test can inform you of any serious issues. There are several Test-Only centers throughout California.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:20 PM
FstCavZ24 wrote:
Jonathan shumacker wrote:

Wrong, the visual inspection is required no matter what facility you go to or are sent to. Down below is the order they are supposed to do the tests by law. Most smog places will do the visual first because if you don't pass that they don't want to waste their time doing the rest. Even when I was sent to the smog referee, which is the most strict AND gov't ran test (trumps test only facilities), he did the visual first.

The State of California requires smog technicians to perform the smog test in the following order:

1. Emissions (Tail Pipe) Inspection
2. Visual Inspection - Inspect for presence of Emissions Components
3. Functional Inspection - Inspect Check Engine Light, Ignition Timing, EGR valve operation, Gas Cap pressure test)

Snip it on Test only facilities.
Test-Only stations, as the name suggests, can only test vehicles and are not allowed to perform smog related automotive repairs. A Test Only station's main obligation is to insure a non-bias and accurate smog inspection. If your vehicle fails the smog inspection and requires repairs to pass, they must be conducted at a State Certified Test and Repair smog station.

The State of California uses the following three strategies to determine whether a vehicle is Test-Only designated or not:

1. Gross polluters (vehicles which have failed a previous smog inspection with very high emission readings)
2. High Emitter Profile vehicles. These are vehicle types designated by the Bureau of Automotive Repair as having high chances of failing the smog inspection.
3. A random sample of the vehicles on the road.

If your vehicle needs a Test-Only inspection don't be alarmed. Simply locate a convenient test center and proceed with the inspection. The smog technician conducting the test can inform you of any serious issues. There are several Test-Only centers throughout California.

So if I have a cat back with a round 4" exit muffler...as long as my cat is still there its good right? Ive never had to smog in cali before..so do i have to put the original muffler back on?

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:21 PM
CARB and smog end at the end of the cat. As long as yer OEM cat is there and it's in the original position you are ok. Bolt on catbacks do not affect smog.

Saturday, September 29, 2007 2:27 AM
when you know people who work at smog shops they seem to always overlook alot of things

if you really need a car smoged let me know....

Sunday, September 30, 2007 5:14 PM
here's another idea.. get a P.O.Box address in Jean, Nevada or another border town... :-)

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Sunday, September 30, 2007 5:49 PM
Not every county in Cali has emissions so it would throw less flags if you just did that here.

Monday, October 01, 2007 7:01 PM
Where are you located at. If you will pass the sniffer and not visual I know a few places that wont pop the hood. Being an 03 You should have til 08 to get smogged though

Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:48 PM
im in long beach

Friday, November 09, 2007 12:00 AM
just register the car in calaveras county the only smog they require is a transfer of ownership.
Its the closest place to you.

I just cant drive 55
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search