OBD2 CARB legal cat? - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OBD2 CARB legal cat?
Saturday, December 01, 2007 8:55 PM
im piecing together my 2.5" exhaust and i know theres other threads and someone mentioned pacesetter, but i've searched EVERYWHERE trying to find a LEGAL high-flow cat. magnaflow has a cat thats carb legal but it says nothing about performance.
or can i put two high flow 49-state legal cats in a row and pass in CA? the shop i go to doesnt do visuals

Listen F***ers. FASTERTHANAHONDA is a joke because I WORK FOR HONDA. I'll talk @!#$ about Fords to, that doesn't mean I can beat a 12 second mustang.

Re: OBD2 CARB legal cat?
Monday, December 03, 2007 2:06 AM
you'll get like +1 maybe 2hp for going to a fancy high flow cat.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Monday, December 03, 2007 4:54 PM
I posed the same question, but never received a definite answer. I know the CARB legal cat runs about $160 and is bigger than the OBD-2 magnaflow cat. My guess is that you'd still pass in Cali with the cheaper cat, no need to double them up. I may try it next year.
Monday, December 03, 2007 5:41 PM
I'm not sure if Mflow even has a CARB legal cat for the J's. Even though the cat itself is CARB legal, it's only legal for the certain cars it was tested on. So while it may have CARB EO #s it isn't technically legal for your car. That being said I haven't had any cops harass me for the hi flow cat must have looked just to see that I had one.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:13 PM
from what i understand you're not even allowed to change your cat unless if it is damaged.

- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:30 PM
Thursday, December 06, 2007 1:24 AM
Kardain wrote:^^ http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

See page 4

(6) When can I install an aftermarket converter?
Generally, there are only 3 situations when you can install an aftermarket converter.
They are:
(1) if the converter is missing from the vehicle when brought in for exhaust
system repair; or
(2) if a State or local inspection program has determined the existing converter
has been lead poisoned, damaged, or otherwise needs replacement; or
(3) if the vehicle is more than 5 years old or has more than 50,000 miles*
(8 years/80,000 miles for 1995 and newer vehicles) and a legitimate need for
replacement has been established and appropriately documented (e.g., a
plugged converter or unrepairable exhaust leaks).
Any other converter replacement must be with a 'certified' or new original equipment (OE)
or equivalent converter.
Aftermarket converters subject to the enforcement policy requirements cannot be used for
replacement if:
(1) the existing converter is present and functioning properly; or
(2) the replacement is under recall or warranty; or
(3) the vehicle is returning from overseas use.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 6:17 PM
im well aware of the legalities of replacing a cat. and i think the replace per vehicle is more of a visual thing im not sure.
SpyhunteR wrote:you'll get like +1 maybe 2hp for going to a fancy high flow cat.

my friend had his car impounded last month for not having a cat after ignoring several fix-it tickets for various reasons. at least i'll have one. besides, i dont like contributing (excessively) to orange sunsets.

i've had my header sitting in my garage for a while now, im doing the full exhaust at once to keep my stock in tact. if all else fails i'll bolt it up for inspection. i suppose there is no definate answer.

Listen F***ers. FASTERTHANAHONDA is a joke because I WORK FOR HONDA. I'll talk @!#$ about Fords to, that doesn't mean I can beat a 12 second mustang.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search