Legal Power - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Legal Power
Saturday, March 05, 2005 11:36 PM
Ok, I'm thinking about doing some more work to my car, performance wise, but am wondering what I am allowed to get......and still be able to pass smog. My car is a daily driver, but I want to be able to give her a little more umph. I got my arse handed to me by a freakin Nissan Quest.......then the next night....a Honda Odyssey! How embarrasing is that! Anyways, any help would be great. I know turbo, NAWZ, etc is all illegal, but my intake header and exhuast are all legal and I want to keep the rest of my performance mods legal. What am I still able to do to my car?

Re: Legal Power
Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:02 AM
not embarrasing at all man. vans are freaking FAST. like older caravans where turbo and had ALOT of get up and go. there meant to have decent powere when packed with kids for soccer so when its empty watch out.

u can do anythign you can think of. pretty much EVERYTHING has to be carb legal. or it will fail. so headers, intake, supercharger etc...

turbo is not an option because there is no carb legal turbo kit for our cars.

i just checked your reg and see u already have most all bolt ons. so all i can think of is to go with a SC but remember if its not carb cert then it cant pass smog.

/:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::/:::J-BODY FEVER II VIDEO:::/
Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:51 AM
^^^yep^^^

nate is correct. all the bolt-ons youve allready have. the only thing i can think of is maybe some nice nology plugs and wires, run good fuel 91, purchase a light weight fly wheel, under drive pulley. really that is about it. you can maybe get the cobolt SS supercharger. it will be carb legal, it is made for our cars, so who knows. good luck, i dont think ive helped out so much. my car is trying to show and will never go.

oh, vans are hella fast...theyve got prety big v-8's.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Sunday, March 06, 2005 10:00 AM
you can also do the rocker arms , which are not seen

and a mild port and polish , and boring the block and larger pistons

Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:06 PM
RoNuS20 wrote:but am wondering what I am allowed to get

A 2.4

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:44 PM
Roller rockers are about the only thing you can do that'd add any real power at this point.

Joshua how do you put a LW FW on a automatic?

Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:32 PM
FstCavZ24 (Turbo ECO) wrote:

i didnt say i did. i was just answering his question. hell, ive got a 2200. putting more money into that trying to make it go faster while living in california is like putting track shoes on a one legged person...he might be able to go faster, but he will still be slow. (no offense to one legged people). ill just stick to cosmetics on my car.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:48 PM
Joshua Wirz wrote:
FstCavZ24 (Turbo ECO) wrote:

i didnt say i did. i was just answering his question. hell, ive got a 2200. putting more money into that trying to make it go faster while living in california is like putting track shoes on a one legged person...he might be able to go faster, but he will still be slow. (no offense to one legged people). ill just stick to cosmetics on my car.

He was meaning that I can't do the flywheel because I have an automatic.

Thanks for the help guys.

2.4 is interesting, but probably not gonna happen because then I gotta get a new header and a new intake! But I did do a quick search onto ebay on prices of the motors and was running in the $600's mostly, not bad at all. But then i'd have to find someone to pull my motor out and put the new one in because I don't have that kind of equipment at my house

Sunday, March 06, 2005 3:07 PM
make sure when you do your swap that the 2.4 you purchase is newer then your car. i looked up your car profile (finally) and you have a 2001 i believe i read. so you will have to purchase 2002 or newer to be legal. at least in cali. sorry i didnt take the time to look into all the info on your car. im on my girls pc and it is damn dial up....god i hate it. i have no patience!!!!!!!!!! good luck on your car.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Sunday, March 06, 2005 3:24 PM
Nitrous is legal in California, as long as you are not driving on public roads with it hooked up.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:30 PM
nitrous is leagal if you hide it well enough

Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:44 PM
really? u can engine swap in cali? SWEET! cough, cough, eco.... josh... lets swap ecos into our 2200... cough

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:54 PM
Joshua Wirz wrote:make sure when you do your swap that the 2.4 you purchase is newer then your car. i looked up your car profile (finally) and you have a 2001 i believe i read. so you will have to purchase 2002 or newer to be legal. at least in cali. sorry i didnt take the time to look into all the info on your car. im on my girls pc and it is damn dial up....god i hate it. i have no patience!!!!!!!!!! good luck on your car.

if his car is a 2001 then he can use a motor from a 2001 or later. sorta. mine is a 2002 2200. this means if i wanna put another 2200 or 2.4 in it i have to use a 2002 engine. on the other hand, ive heard that i can use any year engine, as long as that particular engine was available in my year, for example, i could use a 98 2200 in my car since that engine was available in my year. . not sure on everything though

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:21 PM
RoNuS20 wrote:Ok, I'm thinking about doing some more work to my car, performance wise, but am wondering what I am allowed to get......and still be able to pass smog. My car is a daily driver, but I want to be able to give her a little more umph. I got my arse handed to me by a freakin Nissan Quest.......then the next night....a Honda Odyssey! How embarrasing is that! Anyways, any help would be great. I know turbo, NAWZ, etc is all illegal, but my intake header and exhuast are all legal and I want to keep the rest of my performance mods legal. What am I still able to do to my car?

Yeah I feel ya.

Those vans are actually fast. I beat my friend's Quest by only like a fraction of an inch. It was indeed a sad day in the Camaro world.......

Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:56 PM
land pirates cavalier wrote:
Joshua Wirz wrote:make sure when you do your swap that the 2.4 you purchase is newer then your car. i looked up your car profile (finally) and you have a 2001 i believe i read. so you will have to purchase 2002 or newer to be legal. at least in cali. sorry i didnt take the time to look into all the info on your car. im on my girls pc and it is damn dial up....god i hate it. i have no patience!!!!!!!!!! good luck on your car.

if his car is a 2001 then he can use a motor from a 2001 or later. sorta. mine is a 2002 2200. this means if i wanna put another 2200 or 2.4 in it i have to use a 2002 engine. on the other hand, ive heard that i can use any year engine, as long as that particular engine was available in my year, for example, i could use a 98 2200 in my car since that engine was available in my year. . not sure on everything though

yea, im not too sure now. all ive heard from the referees is that the engine ALWAYS has to be newer than the car....but if you think about it, if you go to the dealership and you need an engine, wouldnt they give you the same year???? i dont know. i suppose someone will have to step up to the plate and find out for themselves. i know my information only from trying to do a swap in a celica.

Jared wrote:really? u can engine swap in cali? SWEET! cough, cough, eco.... josh... lets swap ecos into our 2200... cough

god that'd be nice...but i think id rather purchase a 2003 2.4 fire, and then put all my crap onto it.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:59 PM
lol, ill take either

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:44 PM
Same year or newer on engine swaps in cali.

And the 2003 + fires are 2.2 eco's.

To the original poster: shave a little off the head (raise compression ratio), roller rockers, underdrive pulley, and msd dis-II.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:59 PM
DIS2 isn't CARB legal

Monday, March 07, 2005 12:38 AM
i cna answer ANY questions on passing smog carb legality issues in CA

i did EXTENSIVE research when i was hardcore getting ready to swap redline engine and transmission into my car. id still love to do it and it can be done legally.

itd be VERY expensive tho since youd have to buy a brand new redline motor (gm seels it by itself as well as a crate motor for i believe $4000) plus new transmission (manual swap)

but yeah u got Q's on whats legal in CA i can most likely give u an answer. looks liek everyoen else is pretty knowledgable too

/:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::/:::J-BODY FEVER II VIDEO:::/
Monday, March 07, 2005 1:37 PM
You could get a high flow cat, you could re-install your car custom lower motor mount (why did you have it then take it off?), you could take out your amps and subs (heavy) You could get some lightweight rims and performance tires, carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber trunk lid, carbon fiber everything! You could lose some weight, you could pull the dynamat out cause that stuff isn't light, you could take out uneeded parts like the plastic cover in your engine bay just above your headlights, and other miscellanious parts in the car. You could get a diff alternator pulley, or i would just suggest doing the 2.4 swap and getting the GM s/c

Joshua Wirz wrote:

neither of those van's have v-8's

and please dont ever say hella again

Monday, March 07, 2005 1:53 PM
hella is a north-cal thing. lol

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:04 PM
and the dis-II is legal: http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_24_6211_6215.htm

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:13 PM
Sunfires rule! (Tom) wrote:and the dis-II is legal:

When I think DIS 2 I automatically think "programable" DIS 2. It's hella tyte y0!
http://www.msdignition.com/sci_2.htm

Monday, March 07, 2005 3:51 PM
i hate you guys

Monday, March 07, 2005 11:03 PM
Kyle aka MakeYourselfSD wrote:You could get a high flow cat, you could re-install your car custom lower motor mount (why did you have it then take it off?), you could take out your amps and subs (heavy) You could get some lightweight rims and performance tires, carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber trunk lid, carbon fiber everything! You could lose some weight, you could pull the dynamat out cause that stuff isn't light, you could take out uneeded parts like the plastic cover in your engine bay just above your headlights, and other miscellanious parts in the car. You could get a diff alternator pulley, or i would just suggest doing the 2.4 swap and getting the GM s/c

Joshua Wirz wrote:

neither of those van's have v-8's

and please dont ever say hella again

I thought putting a different cat on there was not CARB legal?

I took the lower mount off because I felt no difference when it was on, other than having my balls rattle like crazy when I was at a stoplight.

Amps and subs are staying in because it's my daily driver, I gotta listen to music!

The carbon fiber stuff is a good idea, I tried getting a hood but was a little too late, someone yanked it before I could.

Dynamat aint coming off, that tar stuff is like super glued onto my car

Anyone wanna volunteer to swap my engine?

I'm just hella slow right now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search