who can help me?pls - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
who can help me?pls
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:38 PM
i have a 96' fire gt and it acquired a bad rod knock over a year ago. i had been waiting to tear into it until i had the money to fix it. fnally in november i got a chance to pull the oil pan and there was some bearing mtl in it. then the rains came. then the holidays. then some more rain. and now i need it fixed. the plan is to in stall the new rod bearings but i am petrified to try it myself. help me and there is $200 in it and all the beverages an foods you want. also, for a side project i have a header to install if the engine runs again. $50 more for that. please help. thanks.

Re: who can help me?pls
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:49 PM
Happy birthday.

But if you already have the pan out just coat the bearings with assembly lube and put one in the rod and one in the rod cap, then assemble. If the crank is scored you will have to take it all apart.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:03 PM
i need to mention that the balance shaft assembly is still connected and i don't wish to deal with that myself. it includes securing the balance shafts and finding tdc and such. i need more experience b4 i try this stuff alone. so i can't put the bearings in yet. if the crank is scored. oh well. she goes together anyway. with good oil pressure it should be fine. thanks for the reply
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:29 PM
your better off finding a good motor to put in it

i know at;east 1 person on the org that tried just replacing the bearing only to cause more problems after it was put back together and running

unfortunatly this is 1 area you do not want to go cheap in , either do a full rebuild or geta different motor

the old bearing is spread through out the whole motor and will cause problems

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:32 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM cav sedan™)]your better off finding a good motor to put in it
i know at;east 1 person on the org that tried just replacing the bearing only to cause more problems after it was put back together and running
unfortunatly this is 1 area you do not want to go cheap in , either do a full rebuild or geta different motor
the old bearing is spread through out the whole motor and will cause problems
I concur. You can find decent motors for a good price. http://www.car-part.com

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 3:40 PM
well, is it going to be easier to put in a new engine than replacing bearings? if so, then i'll see if i can pay rent late and get a used engine from lenny's in santa ana. it is that a gm mechanic, of 20 years, said that he has seen engines go 60,000 miles and more on a scored crank. as long as there is good oil pressure. that is why i am taking the cheap approach. but who knows. thanks for the replies.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:02 PM
Our oil pressure is kind of screwy anyways, especially around the #3 bearing.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:03 PM
you did say it had a knock for over a year so I'm going to assume that cylinder wall is prob pretty gnarly looking by now. Just my opinion.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:18 PM
it has been sitting for a year. i stopped driving it the day it started knocking. occasionally i would start it up to move it and keep the engine oiled. but it has been parked and unused. i found one 2.4l in my area and it is $650 w/exch or $750 w/o exch. i am amazed at how few 2.4's there are in the huntington beach/santa ana/irvine area.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:21 PM
isn't titus selling a 2.4 in the cali region? not sure if it's running or not

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:25 PM
^^^ North cal.
Check the yellow pages for yards around where you live. I was surprised when I looked and found like 20 around my area.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search