BS TICKET TONIGHT!!!!!!! - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BS TICKET TONIGHT!!!!!!!
Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:40 AM
Well maybe its not totally bull @!#$ and maybe he let me off but in my mind its bull @!#$.

I was home and my friends called me up to tell me there was about 50-60 cars at ramco racing. This is like 2 mins max from my house so i decided to drive by and check it out. Keep in mind i race at the track, i have slips to prove that. Also keep in mind that the last one i went to i left within 5 mins of going. I planned to just drive past it to see if 60 people were actually dumb enough to race in a dead end street thats always been known to be hot. Well im on my way and come to the light where i need to make a left to come up on the races. The cop is in the left turnlane accross the street. They had already busted the race and i later learned there were like 15 cops. Anyways i make the turn not seeing him till the last min and i can tell hes creaping across the cross walk like he wants to folow me. I make the turn and he instantly comes up on me with his lights on. INSTANTLY! Pulls me over and i sit there for a couple mins. He comes up to me and asks do you have a certificate for the modified exhaust? I reply no sir i do not. He says well let me see your licence, registration, and insurance. I show him and he comes back with a ticket siting me for a modified exhaust. All it is is a muffler but anyways... He says its unlawfully modified. Its a code 27151 cvc (mod exhaust) and he marked it as an infraction. He also wrote code 24004 which puts an advisement out for my car stating that it cant be driven off my property until fixed. So basically its a fix it ticket that i cant fix. Ill technically have to tow my car, get a new muffler, and have it certified by the dmv.................................................. I have 21 days to do so. Anyways i know i wasnt supposed to be there, i know i was already home, yadayada.... Still tho im freakin pissed. Im gona get MY muffler certified, and im gona DRIVE it to the dmv. @!#$ that cop............. mr TWarooez or how ever he wrote it on my ticket with a serial number of 126.... Next time ill laugh is his face and dare him to pop my hood. Anyways... hope you enjoyed
-J

ps. just an update on the race... the cop verified that there was 60 cars and there was also a shooting and a stolen car within a block.

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Re: BS TICKET TONIGHT!!!!!!!
Saturday, April 02, 2005 2:06 PM
You can fight it if you wish to. Take it down to the police station and have them test the sound level with a db meter. I've heard your exhaust and it is in no way too loud or illegal.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 12:25 PM
think the station would test it? ill call them monday.... Ill even throw in the silencers.

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Sunday, April 03, 2005 12:37 PM
I think so, If the officer gave you a fix-it ticket. I would say at least call them and ask. I would think either the police station or an inspection station would do the test. Definitely throw in those silencers too.

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:16 PM
You need to do your homework son. Here let me help you...

Quote:

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

This says that you may not modify your exhaust to make it louder then a certain limit. It DOES NOT say that you can't modify your exhaust, only that it can't be too loud.

Quote:

24004. No person shall operate any vehicle or combination of
vehicles after notice by a peace officer, as defined in Section 830.1
or subdivision (a) of Section 830.2 of the Penal Code, that the
vehicle is in an unsafe condition or is not equipped as required by
this code, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle or
combination of vehicles to the residence or place of business of the
owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle and its equipment
have been made to conform with the requirements of this code.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to an employee who
does not know that such notice has been issued, and in such event the
provisions of Section 40001 shall be applicable.

This code can only apply if the vehicle is unsafe to drive. Because your car is actually NOT in violation of the previous code, this code simply can not apply. HOWEVER, if you get pulled over, the cop won't know that. So what you need to go is have your exhaust checked by the CHP or a licensed smog check center which is authorized BY THE STATE to check the noise level of your exhaust. Once you get that, just take the paperwork to court with you and tell the cop that pulled you over where he can stick it.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:19 PM
On one more thing. Go to your local DMV office and buy a California Vehicle Code book. It'll cost you $3. Put a tab in the page about exhaust so you can reference it easily, then keep the book in your car. Next time you get pulled over, and the cop starts talking about your exhaust, get the book out (make sure you tell him you are pulling out a book, not a gun, or he'll be asking you to get out of the car, with a gun to your head). You can argue all you want with a cop, but a cop can't argue against the CVC.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:35 PM
i understood it as i had to have a certificate certifying that it wasnt illegal as far as sound goes. The cop said they dont test for sound. So then he gave me the ticket and i figured it was my fault for not having it certified. Right? or am i wrong... and will the local police station test it or do i need to go to the highway patrol? And are u saying i CAN drive to the police station and school?

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:36 PM
I have a copy of the CVC in my glove compartment just for that, and I've gotten out of a few "modified exhaust" tickets because of it. After I finished my exhaust system, I went to an inspection station and had it tested to find out if it was too loud, and its about 10 db under the limit. If a cop senses that your not sure about something, like a modified exhaust system, he'll more than likely try to nail you for it. Also, I think that the cop wrote up a 24004 was complete BS. Obviously your car is still safe to drive, so I think he was being a dick.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:52 AM
yeah man total BS. completely legal to modify a exhaust just not past a certain sound limit just like dave said.

chp and some smog shops will test for sound. yoru exhaust will DEF pass

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:05 AM
thanks... well i guess ill stop by the chp today because the exhaust shops around here said they would test but they cant certify it? Anyways, maybe ill even go by the dmv. Thanks guys and nate, beautiful sig man!

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:19 AM
good luck

and thanx

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 12:12 PM
Jared wrote:And are u saying i CAN drive to the police station and school?

According to CVC 24004 you can drive the car as long as you are driving it to a garage to be repaired, or to have the vehicle inspected following the repair.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:45 PM
You can't have your exhaust certified until you get popped for it. Kind of BS if you ask me. It'd save so much time if you could just go certify it and have it handy when a cop tries to mess with you.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:59 PM
really? he asked me for it... the certification before he wrote the ticket

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:55 AM
The reason for that is there are not enough shops yet that are certified by the state to check the exhaust. They could potentially be very overworked if they let anyone go get their exhaust checked. Once more shops are certified, I think they will allow anyone to go get it checked even if they have not been cited for it. The thing about your case is since you have been cited, you can go get it checked and then hang on to the certificate in your glove box if you ever get pulled over again.

Sunday, May 01, 2005 8:48 PM
that sucks.. Just wondering.. what exhaust setup do you have?
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 4:49 PM
might be too late, but also know about this one as well...

Quote:

A new law (27150.2 VC) does not require police to use a sound meter to test for excessive noise. A citation is now based upon the officers judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at a smog referee station.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search