Smogging a Car B4 Buying? - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Smogging a Car B4 Buying?
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 6:32 PM
I finally reached an agreement with a private seller for this 1992 SC300 that ive been wanting. I got the owner to use his insurance deductable to fix a dent in the back. The painting should be finished in a day or two.

So heres my question. I live in California and what are the proper procedures for smogging a car purchased from a private party. The owner got it smogged this last Dec when he went to register it.

My System

Deck: Alpine IVA-D900 in-dash dvd

Amp #1: Xtant 604x

Amp #2: Xtant 1001dx

Front Speakers: Alpine Type-X SPX-177A 6-1/2" Component 2-Way

Rear Speakers: Alpine Type-R Coaxial 6" x 9" 2-Way Speaker

Subs: (2) Alpine Type-R SWR-1241 12"

Re: Smogging a Car B4 Buying?
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 6:49 PM
I think that if its been more than 90 days, then it has to be re-smogged. At least thats what i've heard.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 8:42 PM
As far as I know as long as it has current smog yer good to go. Now I think I'd pay some money out of pocket and have it smog checked b4 you actually buy it. Cheap insurance down the road being it's a little bit older car.

When I bought my 03 used current smog was good thank god.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 8:25 AM
ITs like 40 bucks to smog a car here in sacramento. I would tell the seller to smog the car and only after that will I buy the car.

Thursday, May 12, 2005 10:02 AM
i thought it was required that its the SLLERS responsibility to smog a car before selling.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Thursday, May 12, 2005 6:06 PM
Nathaniel wrote:i thought it was required that its the SLLERS responsibility to smog a car before selling.

Thursday, May 12, 2005 9:24 PM
I see used school district trucks listed on Ebay for parts. If they are selling it for parts they don't have to smog it. Usually they need to be hauled away.

If you are buying something to drive the seller should smog it -- or you should get it for a discount.

Grant Johnston, Chico, CA
Saturday, May 14, 2005 7:06 AM
a buddy of mine just sold his '91 camaro. it would not smog at all. infact, it was twice the legal limit. it was a real cherry, but he just couldnt sell it 'cause he couldnt get it to smog. this one guy drove down from redding and wanted to purchase it and said that you can sell a car to a family member even if it doesnt smog. when you go into the DMV you let them know that the person you are selling it to is your "brother in law". thats exactly what they did and it worked.
he was so afraid he was going to be stuck with car for ever just because it wouldnt smog. he had already spent 700.00 on trying. he didnt want to spend anymore money on it trying.
i hope this helps out someone and also i hope someone else has more information on this. good luck.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search