CA laws want to know. - South Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CA laws want to know.
Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:01 PM
Well im from MI and Moved to cali for the marine corp and have my j body with me now. What are the laws here i mean if my car doesnt have the gay little cali approved stamp on it will the @!#$ with me if i get polled over. My car is Registered in MI and the laws there are nothing like here. well so does and donts will help thanks.

Re: CA laws want to know.
Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:21 PM
Doesn't matter where the car is registered. If you are in CA you follow CA laws. Anything in between the intake and cat (including the cat) must have CARB numbers. Keep your stock performance parts so you can go back to stock if you get caught. The quieter your exhaust the less likely you are for getting pulled over.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:24 PM
well i know lts of marines that have @!#$ done to there car and they just pull the im registered in another state

Monday, January 19, 2009 12:39 PM
If the car is registered in another state and you are in the Marines, living on base with proof, you will be fine. If you make a permanent resident here or live off base, you will have to register in Calif. that is when you will have to switch it over
Monday, January 19, 2009 12:51 PM
Chef Dug wrote:If the car is registered in another state and you are in the Marines, living on base with proof, you will be fine. If you make a permanent resident here or live off base, you will have to register in Calif. that is when you will have to switch it over

This is not true. Being in the military makes you a visitor to whatever state you are living in at the time UNLESS you chose to get a DL from that state, or register the car there. I lived in cali for 6 years with my cars registered back in AZ and never once did a ticket for something that is against cali law (performance wise) hold up in court. I went to court 3 times for CARB related issues, and with proof of station and proof of registration for my car in AZ, and registration for the car on the base, the judge threw them all out.

On another note, if your base requires that you be registered in Cali, or pass Cali emiisions, to register on base, then you are in a bit of a bind.

Monday, January 19, 2009 1:06 PM
FstCavZ24 wrote:Doesn't matter where the car is registered. If you are in CA you follow CA laws. Anything in between the intake and cat (including the cat) must have CARB numbers. Keep your stock performance parts so you can go back to stock if you get caught. The quieter your exhaust the less likely you are for getting pulled over.

.... As far as I ever knew, a car only has to pass whatever is required in the state that it's registered in. If tint is legal where your car is registered, you cannot get a ticket for having tint in a state that restricts it.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Monday, January 19, 2009 2:20 PM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:
Chef Dug wrote:If the car is registered in another state and you are in the Marines, living on base with proof, you will be fine. If you make a permanent resident here or live off base, you will have to register in Calif. that is when you will have to switch it over

This is not true. Being in the military makes you a visitor to whatever state you are living in at the time UNLESS you chose to get a DL from that state, or register the car there. I lived in cali for 6 years with my cars registered back in AZ and never once did a ticket for something that is against cali law (performance wise) hold up in court. I went to court 3 times for CARB related issues, and with proof of station and proof of registration for my car in AZ, and registration for the car on the base, the judge threw them all out.

On another note, if your base requires that you be registered in Cali, or pass Cali emiisions, to register on base, then you are in a bit of a bind.

You just said what I said
If you do not PERMANENTLY LIVE HERE, you do not have to change.

Monday, January 19, 2009 2:35 PM
ya well michigan laws are weak. I only have to pass a emission test for my base stickers. but its not really that hard to pass they just plug in a computer to see if your throwing any codes but im going to get my stickers before i put my aftermarket parts so ill be good i just wanted to know if i got pulled over if i could fight it. so thanks for your guys info.

Monday, January 19, 2009 2:37 PM

Not really, you added this in there. I lived off base 4 of my 6 years..But either way its settled now and I think the marine knows what he needs to do.

Friday, January 23, 2009 9:57 AM
I personally know military guys w licenses and plates from out of state that have gotten popped for CARB violations.

Friday, April 03, 2009 6:26 PM
yeah im stationed in ventura ca and i have gotten pulled over in both cavaliers here and there. once for my "blinkers being to fast" being in the military (even more so going to iraq and afghan) i still yet to get one "fix it ticket" from this state. at the same time my wife drove the cav one day and WAS going to get a ticket for window tint if i didnt happen show up in uniform. bottom line is keep your car modified if you have a out of state license and plates thats perfect. you can dodge cops but there will be that one a$$ hole. i never let it get to me and keep my car modified. i did find a perofrmance exhaust that isnt to loud but yeah. trust me man being military you get away with alot.

"It's Only A Cavalier"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search