movin on up - North Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
movin on up
Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:48 PM
well boys, im comin from california to washington. I joined the airforce and they stationed me at mcchord, 30 miles south of seattle tacoma. So ill be in ur neighborhood early next month. Im also going to buy the kit for the sunfire from rksport... Any good shops up there that could fit and paint the ish for me? Anyways... see yall around

-J

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Re: movin on up
Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:49 PM
p.s. whats the laws up there like? as far as exhausts, turbos, smog, inspections... neons.. what can u get away with up there that i couldnt do in cali

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:27 PM
Jared wrote:p.s. whats the laws up there like? as far as exhausts, turbos, smog, inspections... neons.. what can u get away with up there that i couldnt do in cali

Let me the first to welcome you to the PacNW

North Pacific on the JBO is pretty much dead. Its all (for the most part) migrated to www.jbnw.org.

I'll answer these to the best that I can...

Exhaust -- varies by city/county. Most aftermarket exhausts allowed. In some cities/counties, not tolerated.

Turbos -- Might be allowed, which ties into smog (visual inspection, as well as sniffer) -- varies by city/county if it's required. McChord area may require it (I'm a bit farther north where it isn't so, I'm not sure).

Inspections -- I'm assuming you mean annual safety inspections -- none that I am aware of. Only mention I can find is here, which pertains mainly to buses.

Neons -- definately not. See here, Item 16

Mainly all the governing laws over vehicles can be found here and here

Monday, February 06, 2006 4:22 PM
Yea so does washington have carb like california does? Like the whole sticker bit and all? Im wanting the pacesetter header and a custom exhaust, with the cat and a muffler still intact. Would that be a problem? In california i got a ticket and all i had was an exhaust.

Um, so no underbodys, got that

I cant think of what else... anything else yall can think of i might need to look for let me know

---

Um and any good body shops/paint out therE? exhaust shops?

and ill get on jbodynw soon enough

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Monday, February 06, 2006 5:58 PM
Jared wrote:Yea so does washington have carb like california does? Like the whole sticker bit and all? Im wanting the pacesetter header and a custom exhaust, with the cat and a muffler still intact. Would that be a problem? In california i got a ticket and all i had was an exhaust.

Um, so no underbodys, got that

I cant think of what else... anything else yall can think of i might need to look for let me know

---

Um and any good body shops/paint out therE? exhaust shops?

and ill get on jbodynw soon enough

Some areas have emmisions, but not as strict as Cali. Aftermarket parts are ok.

Underbodies are allowed, just cannot be on while travelling on a highway/city road.

Cat is required for the visual inspection, as well as the muffler.

Only place I know of for good exhaust is Randy's Custom Exhaust in Arlington, WA. They did the work on my dad's truck and it sounded nice before I blew a muffler up drag racing it.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:14 PM
im from oregon, so i dont know much about the laws and such up where you are, but in oregon we have a decibel limit on exhaust, but it isnt enforced unless you get caught for something else(ie. get pulled over for speeding,racing,exhibition of speed,ect). if you keep a resonater on your exhaust you should be fine..my eco was too loud with catback exhaust and a Borla straight through muffler, at wide open throttle it was above the limit, so i threw on a resonater. my last car, a 97 with a 2.2, had a pacesetter header, borla straight through,2.5" exhaust all the way back and a dynomax high flow cat, and it was as loud as my eco is with 2" piping and a 14" long 2" diameter resonater,LOL.

so, volume is a concern, other than that, just make sure it can pass a safety inspection and has a cat on it....not too much is illegal, other than driving with underbodies or strobes,ect.

emissions wise you will have to check locally to see if you have DEQ ect.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:37 AM
yeah make sure you join jbnw.org you will get alot of help there but spades coverd oregon and kardain coverd washington now join jbnw.org and youll be set were alot of help. but welcome to washington even though im in oregon. Basically welcome to the Pacific NW.
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:39 AM
Also make sure your pipe isnt to big coming out the back sometimes they get whiny about it but i dont have a big pipe cause it looks gay but my friend did and they pulled him over and warned him about it so make sure about that but this was in Oregon.
Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:04 AM
well, the pipe diameter out the back is not a actuall legal issue on the books, however before they decided on a decible limit for oregon i think a year ago? they used to have alot of flexibility as to what they could deem as illigal exhaust. if the officer decided that he didnt like you and you had a muffler on there that wasnt stock regardless of how loud it was, he could cite the little section that stated "Any exhaust that has been modified with the intention of increasing volume". i dont think those were the exact words, i cant remember how they phrased "volume"...but you get the idea...if your exhaust had been modified "i.e. coconut shooter" 6" tip, he could write you a ticket.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 11:14 AM
i havent bought anything else performance wise but ive dumped some more money into audio equip... sigh =)

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, May 05, 2006 4:01 PM
sorry i haven't been here...

Nope, no inpection needed--just a smog check every few years.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 8:21 PM
the biggest thing is emmissions and that damn sound ordance, turbos help clean up the exhausr quite nicely though

fully built 2200-TO4E T3/T4-HP tuners-373hp @18psi
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search