Takin the Fire autox-ing for the first time - Page 2 - North Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Takin the Fire autox-ing for the first time
Friday, September 08, 2006 4:03 AM
Kardain wrote:
Quote:

I dont think I could do it though (even in a setup car) cause it just looks too confusing

I'm surprised that I was able to pull it off... I get confused easily

As for the next vids, we'll see how the new mount holds up

Git R done!

Saturday, September 09, 2006 2:57 PM
Done!

^^Gen-u-wine imitation CF racin' numbers

2 pieces of angle stock, couple bolts and another sacrificial mini-tripod

Saturday, September 09, 2006 4:18 PM
Let's see some video from it. I'll bring both of my cameras, so you can have 2 on your car, and I can film with one if you want. What time are you going to be down there? I'll show up about the same time.

Saturday, September 09, 2006 5:02 PM
I have to be there @ 7:30am for tech and registration -- as for the vid.... let me go make one BBL
Quote:

Schedule:

AM Registration 7:00a-8:00a

AM Tech 7:30a-8:15a

AM Driver's Meeting 08:30a

First car on course 09:00a

Saturday, September 09, 2006 5:38 PM
Hmmm...well, I may show up around 8 or 830-ish.

Saturday, September 09, 2006 7:59 PM
Aight. I'll bring my folding chairs (got 2 of 'em). I'll also save a spot behind my car so you have somewhere to park

Here's a lo-res version of the test vid (maybe 56k friendly -- 5 mb)

The camera in that spot picks up a lot of wind noise even w/ some blue tape over the mic as a baffle, so I had to overlay some music... (BTW, I did not speed up any of the video... that's all I can really say)

Click here to watch Mirror-Mount-Test-Vid----Lo-Res

I'm having a bit of trouble w/ the wireless connection, so the hi-res version will have to wait

Both cameras would be tight. You talking about your digital cam and camcorder, right?

Monday, September 11, 2006 3:31 AM
Rob- pick up an external microphone and run it into the engine bay for some good engine sounds, and that will take care of the wind noise also because the camera will know you have an external mic plugged in and cut off the cameras mic, well at leat mine does, lol. JUSt FYI

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:36 AM
AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hey we should dub my engine sound on it jk man, everything is awesome but yeah do like James said and get a dual mic setup, one in the trunk and one in the engine!

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Monday, September 11, 2006 12:59 PM
I'll have to research and see if my JVC Mini-DV cam can accept an external mic

Monday, September 11, 2006 3:20 PM
Actually what you should do is have me bring some recording gear over and do an in car recording via a laptop. Then I can give you the sound file and you can match it to your vid file. Thatd be sweet.

Monday, September 11, 2006 6:30 PM
QuickZilverado wrote:Actually what you should do is have me bring some recording gear over and do an in car recording via a laptop. Then I can give you the sound file and you can match it to your vid file. Thatd be sweet.

My cam won't accept an external mic (JVC GR-250)

I have the laptop and can get USB mic's... then run the vid via firewire from the cam. However, this setup will not work for anything but driving around... I don't have a way to secure my laptop down for autocross (yet)

Next payday, I'll hit Office Depot or BestBuy and see what I can find... then got to find a new road to go down

Monday, September 11, 2006 7:40 PM
Good deal, can't wait to hear. I have a USB interface for recording music and it will accept two heavy duty mics (XLR inputs) and 1 high gain and 1 low gain instrument input (1/4" input but can be converted for a mic input). You can record a couple tracks at the same time. Pretty nifty and sounds sweet. Still needa test it out though.

Kardain wrote:
QuickZilverado wrote:Actually what you should do is have me bring some recording gear over and do an in car recording via a laptop. Then I can give you the sound file and you can match it to your vid file. Thatd be sweet.

My cam won't accept an external mic (JVC GR-250)

I have the laptop and can get USB mic's... then run the vid via firewire from the cam. However, this setup will not work for anything but driving around... I don't have a way to secure my laptop down for autocross (yet)

Next payday, I'll hit Office Depot or BestBuy and see what I can find... then got to find a new road to go down

Monday, September 11, 2006 8:02 PM
If you make it to Seattle for the post bash, can test it then... that'll give plenty of time to find a deserted place for another vid (and replace my header gasket, tighten up the downpipe joint and clamp... either that or its valve noise).

The thing I noticed when putting that mount together is I can run a round rubber grommet (or make one) to run the firewire cable through (where the rubber cork is) so it doesn't get pinched in the door

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 3:57 AM
Excelent desing, you better make a write up on that mount!! So it can go in the things i wanna build pile, hahaha, but we could make some good club rolling shots with that mount!! Imagine Wolfie, you, and I rolling around with various cam mounts in the club, we'd have tons of rolling footage for vids!! Yikes, now I just need a new camera, the little problems, *sigh*

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 7:13 AM
Write-up:

Remove mirror

Buy 1" angle stock (predrilled) from Home Depot, Lowes, wherever... only need 1 foot

The longer bit is about 4 - 5 inches with a 45* cut at one end (not sure off hand... if its too long, can always cut it down), the shorter bit is 1.5

Use 2 7/16" head bolts, 2" long, 4 3/4" flat washers to mount the longer bit to the car.

Use 2 7/16" head bolts, 1" long, 4 3/4" flat washers to mount the shorter bit to the longer bit. (I have to redo that part... I have some airplane machine screws and ghetto-rigged, homemade washers holding that part together)

Head on down to the local department store and get a mini-tripod... shouldn't spend more than $10 (maybe $12 with tax) on it -- the MiniD pod works well as it has a decent allen bolt holding the head to the legs.

Mount and aim camera and enjoy

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:29 AM
Well, here's the video I got from the sides. I know, I need to get a better camera that I can just plug into the computer without the RCA adapter...sorry about the quality guys. Next year will be better (new camcorder )

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:55 PM
Hey Robbie, do you still have the raw, uncompressed vid? I have a few DVD-R's if you can burn it for me

Thursday, September 14, 2006 2:26 AM
love the vids Rob.

once I get my Eco swap done, I think the Cav's gonna see some Auto-X

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search