holy crap (motor mounts) - North Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
holy crap (motor mounts)
Saturday, October 07, 2006 8:59 PM
installed my mounts today, both from turbo tech, and holy crap, made a huge difference, no more wheel hop, stronger shifts. better acceleration. its great. if you don't have them already, get some, be 100 you'll ever spend

Re: holy crap (motor mounts)
Saturday, October 07, 2006 9:11 PM
I love mine (though my upper is RK, not turbo tech). I've noticed when I back off on the throttle, the rpms stay constant a little longer than before, then decelerate. I'm definitely happy

Saturday, October 07, 2006 10:00 PM
Both of mine are from Jason @ A+ (Prothane versions). Same as above, and the car holds speed a little longer when I take my foot off the gas.

Now just need to install the tranny bushings and once the GA control arm theory is sorted out, my control arm bushings.

Saturday, October 07, 2006 10:19 PM
yeah, i just ordered trans mounts. hopefully they stiffen things up anymore

anyone have a header they want to sell for an eco

Saturday, October 07, 2006 11:06 PM
Nothing I could find in the Classifieds.

Could see if Rodimus is willing to ship his (if he follows through with his "back to stock" plan)

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=25&i=77490&t=77490

Sunday, October 08, 2006 1:12 PM
Yeah i have both motor mounts and the tranny mounts. def a good mod. Ive also got my control arm bushing sitting around someplace uninstalled... i never got around to it, it looked like to much work at the time. But hey i just put on a smaller supercharger pulley yesterday.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 1:37 PM
I had both mounts in my 2.4.........i could only live with the upper because the lower made WAY too much vibration....it made it not fun to drive. My 1/4 mile times didnt change any either....so I think it might be a butt mod....but I could be wrong.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Sunday, October 08, 2006 3:07 PM
Quote:

ve also got my control arm bushing sitting around someplace uninstalled... i never got around to it, it looked like to much work at the time.

And it still looks like a lot of work today

Main reason I did my engine mounts was because I don't have a flex pipe in my exhaust, so didn't want a weld breaking or something like that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, October 08, 2006 3:08 PM

Sunday, October 08, 2006 4:50 PM
I have all the mounts sitting around waiting install. I hear the if you do all 4 mounts the vibs are less intense. I hope I can live with it in my DD.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Monday, October 09, 2006 8:32 AM
Poly mounts are great if you drag a lot, because you tear up the rubber factory ones and would have to replace them a lot. This is why drag cars use solid mounts. Your motor also shifts around less, saving the other mounts like tranny brace etc. Your trade off is going to be a lot more vibration, especially on a straight 4 cycl.

Advice for people going to spend $ on this mod, it will only seem faster... if you trick your self into that. Your 1/4 mile time will not improve. They will look nicer, and some people like the vibration. Money better spent on cold air or exhaust, you will actually see hp from those.
Monday, October 09, 2006 12:18 PM
Yeah my stock upper rubber mount was toast, would make mad clunking noises when driving around. It would only go away when I put the poly insert in there....musta been from 3 years of racing!

Monday, October 09, 2006 1:08 PM
I don't mind the vibrations (and neither do certain female passengers )

Monday, October 09, 2006 2:26 PM
postal bunny, mounts do make a difference. think about it. when you accelerate hard your motor moves, if only slightly, thus causing a delay in power transfer. i put mounts in my old sentra and saw .2 gains in quarter times. they also help minimize wheel hop, which also slows down 1/4 times. so all in all, mounts do help in the quarter.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 12:11 PM
They didnt help mine and I got slips to prove it. My trap speed actually decreased. I don't know if you guys know how much I raced, although I know Keeper does haha. The thing that helped me was cold air intake (not a short ram or WAI) and a high flow cat. I would suggest changing out your cat every year if you can afford it and have access to a shop. They get plugged up very fast. Mount wise, in the 2.2 ohv and 2.4 i would probably get an upper insert because the top is so very spongey/rubbery and there is alot of play in the mounts. It didnt help 1/4 mile times but the car just felt better.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 8:23 PM
One word:

Synergy

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:42 PM
Yeah mounts wont make you any faster. But if you race a lot they are a damn good idea, especially if your pushing a lot of power. The more power you have the more your motor is going to jerk when you take off, and ive heard that with some aftermarket headers its possible to smash them up against the firewall without at least a lower mount.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:47 PM
^^Or pull something part in the exhaust if you have a front mounted header (2200 guys)

Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:21 AM
oh yeah. sorry i always forget about you 2200 guys

Friday, October 13, 2006 1:34 AM
Bigtemps wrote:oh yeah. sorry i always forget about you 2200 guys

It certainly is easy to forget them eh? hahahahaha

Friday, October 13, 2006 6:00 PM
Scorpio1 (blu03lambocavi) wrote:
Bigtemps wrote:oh yeah. sorry i always forget about you 2200 guys

It certainly is easy to forget them eh? hahahahaha

That it sure is

Friday, October 20, 2006 12:51 PM
Cody Vernon wrote:postal bunny, mounts do make a difference. think about it. when you accelerate hard your motor moves, if only slightly, thus causing a delay in power transfer. i put mounts in my old sentra and saw .2 gains in quarter times. they also help minimize wheel hop, which also slows down 1/4 times. so all in all, mounts do help in the quarter.

I think your old mounts might have just been shot. You wont stand to gain .2 on a quarter /w solid mounts. Espeically if it's an auto and you're power braking it. The motor is already pushing against it's mount and won't be thrown much. Mabey if you're dropping the clutch at 4k, and it's not going to get you .2 gains. Wheel hop isn't caused by bad motor mounts. It's a combination of a bad suspension. Get stiff shocks and some better suspension to help /w the wheel hop and you won't have to sacrifice and live /w a holygram rear viwe mirror form the vibrations.

Wheel hop is caused when it's easier for the wheel to hop upwards off the pavement rather than roll forward. You'll get wheel hop /w poly mounts if you don't fix the rest of the suspension too, if you have a soft suspension or bad choice of tires. You're factory mounts are contributing some, but I would better spend that $ on items that will have positive effects like new shocks and lowering springs. The motor may not be flexing back and forth as much but your transmission and rear driveline will still be pushing back and forth.

But that was exactly my point, unless you are drag racing a lot... the race mounts are going to cause unwanted vibrations. They will save you $ if you end up tearing the rubber ones up from constant 1/4 mi runs. Just a warning, if you like the color or don't the vibrations then go for it. I was just noticing one of the first mods' everyone seems to recommend on here is racing mounts... which may be some bad advice for newcomers.

Solid mounts are great for all out drag, poly if you drag your car on weekends... but if it's a daily I wouldn't do it. I drive my car on weekends, so it wouldn't bother me... but I hate vibrations so I've ordered vert mounts for my car as they have extra rubber on them and no poly

To each his own.

Friday, October 20, 2006 12:53 PM
QuickZilverado wrote:They didnt help mine and I got slips to prove it. My trap speed actually decreased. I don't know if you guys know how much I raced, although I know Keeper does haha. The thing that helped me was cold air intake (not a short ram or WAI) and a high flow cat. I would suggest changing out your cat every year if you can afford it and have access to a shop. They get plugged up very fast. Mount wise, in the 2.2 ohv and 2.4 i would probably get an upper insert because the top is so very spongey/rubbery and there is alot of play in the mounts. It didnt help 1/4 mile times but the car just felt better.

You could do what some guys do... get an off road mid pipe. Bolts up from the header to the muffler and has no cat. You can slip yours on to drive on the street and be able to pass emissions and then just unbolt it and put the off road on for the drag strip.
Saturday, October 21, 2006 12:54 AM
Thanks Postal Bunny, hope that helps some of these guys. I dont have my cavalier anymore but I can try that on my truck

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search