Disaster - North Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Disaster
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 12:51 AM
This has been one hectic week.

Last Tuesday I towed the coupe over to the house so I could get the Z24 front clip on my 91 coupe Sunbird. I finished up on that project Sunday night so Monday morning I was able to have enough time to wash it before the tow truck came to pick it up. So Monday morning it was off to the shop to get repairs done so I could finally drive the old beast again. WRONG. Appearently the car has a blown head gasket. That repair alone would cost around $1,800 to fix (milling, timing belt/chain, waterpump). So now the whole plan on getting it fixed is axed. GREAT. Now I want to do the v6 s/c swap (wheres my money).

The hatchback is falling apart at the seems and a new car is no where in sight. Brakes are going, transmission is about to go and I just replaced a blown radiator hose last week (which prompted me to try and get the coupe running). I am not sure how much longer this piece of crap is gonna last me. So I guess I'll be rolling the hatch for the Bash.

I am still planning on purchasing a 3rd gen in the near future (I hope - it seems as if it never is going to happen because my money is always being ripped out of my wallet). When I get it one of my cars has to be sold or junked. The problem with that is I want to keep both of my current cars for projects but my stepdad insists I need to get rid of one car before aquiring another. I really dont see what the problem is and I think he needs to butt out of my financial decisions, however, he believes that he is supporting my "hobby" as he calls it since I live rent free and I am doing stuff to both cars. I have detailed and ideas/plans for both of my current cars when I can afford to do them and he's assuming since I dont have enough money to do the things I want to them now that I should get rid of them. I am rather stressed out cause the hatch is failing on me and I desperately need reliable transportation, hence a new cavy. All in all, it only costs $20 per car to store and I'd love to keep both of my project cars but I dont think thats gonna fly really good with grumpy. I can't sell the coupe in complete form cause the dashboard is going in my hatch and the Z kit is actually for the hatch. I cant see selling the hatch cause I spent so long to find one, especially the model I have. So yeah, a big PAIN in the REAR.

1985 Sunbird Hatchback | 1991 Sunbird Coupe | 2002 Cavalier LS Sport

Re: Disaster
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 1:43 AM
Im sorry to hear this Damon, very sorry, I know all about the "Im supporting your lifestlye/ hobby" so I have a say in it, all too well. So i feel you my mini brotha from anotha Motha! My only idea would be to sell the Coupe (since they are easier to find), and use that money to fund some lovin for the hatch! Thats the only thing that seems logical to me...... but then again, i wouldnt want to have to pick 1 of my babies over the other like you have to......

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:36 AM
That sucks huge dude. Nobody wants to be put in this type of situation, but a lot of times it happens. Honeslty if it was me, I would do what I could to get the cars running myself, but I like working on cars mechanically, but in all reality, the timing chain would make me nervous as hell, because I've never messed with them. But then you have the situation with your step father, so it's time to choose.
I agree with scorpio. You can find a coupe anywhere. I could go to 5 car lots, and I could find at least 3 between them. Not trying to tell you which one to get rid of because either one, you put work into, so you'll be pissed at yourself for getting rid of it. (kinda like I am because I got rid of my 93, and that was damn 3 years ago!!!!)
It's a tough decision to make. If I lived out there, you know I would let you keep one at my place and help you do what I could. Hope everything get's good for ya bro. Take it easy!!
Rob

Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:13 AM
wtf u gotta replace all that @!#$ for just for a blown head gasket?

pull your head off, throw new gasket on, torque head down. Pretty freaking simple. Also if you've got oil in your coolant, you'll wanna flush that.

Chiltons gives a step by step tear down....

If you need a water pump / timing belt, might as well do that at the same time. Might cost you like $100 bux from napa.

Problem fixed...$200 bux and 4 hours of labor max.

-J

Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:43 AM
yeap I agree w/ josh!

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:12 PM
Quote:

4 hours of labor max

+an hour or 2 depending on beverage of choice

Thursday, July 20, 2006 4:41 PM
Kardain wrote:
Quote:

4 hours of labor max

+an hour or 2 depending on beverage of choice

ya but we're talking damon here

Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:51 PM
Good point.

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:00 AM
Joshua Huber wrote:wtf u gotta replace all that @!#$ for just for a blown head gasket?

pull your head off, throw new gasket on, torque head down. Pretty freaking simple. Also if you've got oil in your coolant, you'll wanna flush that.

If you need a water pump / timing belt, might as well do that at the same time. Might cost you like $100 bux from napa.

-J

The problem resides in the difference of metals which leads to warping. Not so simple as just slapping stuff on and calling it good. If you have a mechanic that can do it for cheap let me know cause I am not gonna spend out the rear for fixing the engine when I can go out and do an engine swap for the same ammount. The car also needs a new fuel filter which I have in stock plus some other easy stuff like cap&rotor, sparkys and wires, and a new battery.

1985 Sunbird Hatchback | 1991 Sunbird Coupe | 2002 Cavalier LS Sport
Friday, July 21, 2006 4:30 PM
Nomad wrote:
Joshua Huber wrote:wtf u gotta replace all that @!#$ for just for a blown head gasket?

-J

The problem resides in the difference of metals which leads to warping. Not so simple as just slapping stuff on and calling it good. If you have a mechanic that can do it for cheap let me know cause I am not gonna spend out the rear for fixing the engine when I can go out and do an engine swap for the same ammount. The car also needs a new fuel filter which I have in stock plus some other easy stuff like cap&rotor, sparkys and wires, and a new battery.

if the block / head is warped, then it's done and no mechanic is gonna fix that d00d.

other then that, it really is as simple as disassemble, clean gasket surfaces, insert gasket, torque to spec, reassemble everything else. Check coolant for oil, if oil is in coolant flush.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:19 AM
3800 S/C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fully built 2200-TO4E T3/T4-HP tuners-373hp @18psi

Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:00 PM
Depends on how bad.......i mean you can shave the surfaces (head/block)....but you gotta make up the difference in a certain head gasket or you'll just have a diff compression ratio

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Monday, July 24, 2006 12:35 AM
if the gasket went, and the car wasn't really driven, just replacing it should be fine. If it was driven, then get the head milled a little bit (which will lower compression a little which wouldn't hurt the hatch) throw it back together your done. Milling isn't too bad price wise, just pull the head your self and have them check it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search