Takin the Fire autox-ing for the first time - North Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Takin the Fire autox-ing for the first time
Friday, August 25, 2006 7:00 PM
Got everything together and Sunday I'm headed down to Everett bright and shiny at 7:30 am

Not sure if I can use my camera mount, which I am making one change to... but I'll try. Don't see why not, it's pretty secure.

And damn, my sub box is heavy.

Re: Takin the Fire autox-ing for the first time
Friday, August 25, 2006 7:48 PM
most clubs allow camera mounts as long as they are secure....did i mention i won a local autocross championship in 2003 in my cavvy in STS? muahahaha

Friday, August 25, 2006 8:21 PM
I'm prolly gonna do a bit of "club hopping" to get some seat time in. There's 2 AX courses nearby, and a third in Bremerton (still debating if I want to hit that one -- ferry will get expensive @ $29 round trip). Next year, looking at starting the championship from the get go w/ the smaller of the 2 clubs. That'll mean some lightweight 16's w/ R-Compounds and a trailer this winter.

Saturday, August 26, 2006 3:40 PM
Good luck bro, and yeha ask Josh if you have any questions, he'd know the answer!

Saturday, August 26, 2006 3:42 PM
Here's the full line-up (w00t -- I'm a n00b and I have no ties to how the city was named... just coincidental... I'm originally a California boy)

http://www.autocrossscorekeeper.com/register/wwscc/viewentries.asp

No other J's are registered.

And the upcoming autox schedule:

http://www.wwscc.org/calendar.html

Quote:

did i mention i won a local autocross championship in 2003 in my cavvy in STS?

Actually, I don't think that you did. 'grats on the win

Sunday, August 27, 2006 4:14 PM
It was 4 runs. Got to chase cones on the first run (work first, run second). They had a rule - no handheld cameras on the track, since I was out on the track, no pics.

My in car cam was allowed Got a couple interesting looks followed by compliments -- the all "Look at that, he's got an in-car cam, why don't you do that" (a couple wives/gf's said to their SO's)

Got 4 runs in, but 3 vid clips. Forgot to start it on the third. That's OK. Dude at the start line said "OK, Go", so I went... then he went all ape-%$@! saying "What are you doing?!? Get back here!!!" So I had to back up and start again... fortunately I wasn't too far off the start line (and didn't trigger the start sensor )

First run, they didn't call me on 2 missed gates, so I only ended up with 3 missed gates... I took them in reverse (instead of R-L-R, I went L-R-L)

Had a 51 and change with my crappy ass street tires, which was just 2 seconds off a Vette and a tricked-out Solstice (both was the result of driver error).

Second run, slowed down just a little bit, made the gates this time, but killed the cones that marked them. Made the gates that they didn't call me on the first run, and missed one later. 54 and change.

3rd run was clean. 56.

4th run, surprisingly was clean. I was going balls out (as much as my tired ol' 2.2 could handle)

54 and change.

I'll edit in the vids in a bit -- need to go to a hotspot to upload them.

Gotta install my control arm bushings, get a bigger front sway bar and rear strut bar. That should help some of the body roll (even with the rear sway, there was a lot of roll).

During tech, the guy that was inspecting cars and me got in a convo about engine swaps. He was driving an Olds 442 w/ the W41 HO, but not competing. Told him I thought about stuffing one in my car... Long story short, he agrees, Mantapart is about the equiv to donkey nuts. Had to cut that convo short cause we were holding up the tech line.

Bremerton is off my list. Even though it looks like it might be an actual course instead of a bunch of cones, the ferry cost is what I don't want to pay.

I had a blast. Can't wait to do it again.

Edit: Well the hotspot has a hardware block on my laptop... so it'll be a bit for the vids (uploading via d/u)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 27, 2006 5:09 PM

Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:13 PM
Great job man. I was going to come down and see you run, but Eric came down and we started doing some fiberglass stuff (I have no trunk...Oh well)

Hey, if you want to come down here, I just hooked my wireless router back up, so you can upload the videos from my place. Just shoot me an e-mail or whatever. Peace out homey.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:35 PM
Hey, its all good bro. So... you got some other plan in the works or the one you were mentioning @ the car show?

Here's the first vid. Camera accidentally auto-censored for me (there's a small skip in the audio right when I swore cause I realized I f-ed up the 3 gates). The 2 that I missed are right after the "Missed gate x3 tag" (and I know, I forgot to take the bunny foot off my rear view).

Click here to watch First-Run---Autocross-Aug-27

I'm workin on the next one right now.

Actual time for the 4 runs (I didn't have the slip when I did the other post)

1) 51.095 + 3 gates (30 sec)
2) 55.798 + 3 cones, 1 gate (16 sec)
3) 54.845 (clean)
4) 53.256 (clean)

Sunday, August 27, 2006 10:20 PM
Here's the second vid... I'll post the last one tomorrow.

Click here to watch Second-Run----Autocross-Aug-27

Monday, August 28, 2006 3:13 AM
Looking good so far, man that course is well thought out and looking, the ones around here look like 4th graders designed them, hahaha

Monday, August 28, 2006 8:03 AM
I think I need to make a camera mount like that. Those videos turned out pimp.

Monday, August 28, 2006 10:21 AM
Punk Mobile (robmolloy) wrote:I think I need to make a camera mount like that. Those videos turned out pimp.

The change that I made was I took the head off my mini-tripod and bolted that to the aluminum bar that I had for my other design -- more stable that way. The swivel mount broke finally.

Monday, August 28, 2006 7:18 PM
Here's the last vid:

BTW -- none of these are 56k friendly

Click here to watch Fourth-Run----Autocross-Aug-27

James, here's the course map... I had to PS in a couple of the lines (cheap photocopy)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 28, 2006 7:22 PM

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:43 AM
Cool, good times bro! And tyeha that course is way better than most of the ones setup in our AutoX races....

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 4:24 AM
not bad for novice runs, you need to get more wild though. Never engine brake, you want to be either on the throttle or on the brake.

Also it looked like you could get alot closer to the cones as well.

Not bad at all. At least you didn't get lost! That the number 1 challenge.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 9:29 AM
i wanna take my car out there man, i think i would end up doing a tricked out roof slide across the parking lot though

fully built 2200-TO4E T3/T4-HP tuners-373hp @18psi
Thursday, August 31, 2006 9:55 AM
IDK, with your car being lower than mine is, you might handle a little better. That parking lot is fairly level, so shouldn't be too bumpy

Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:13 AM
Wow, thats a nice course layout, its almost 3 times the size that my city is able to use. Although I like tight courses, it proves to be interesting that way . By the looks of things though you seemed to do good. Congrats! I wish I could go out and do some racing but unfortunately the place that I usually AutoX is getting some renovations done and is occupying the space .

Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:46 PM
I think I figured a couple things out for the next run, which is at the same location (might be on another lot @ Boeing) on the 10th, they haven't posted details yet. Gonna drop the dampening on the front by 1 -- running 3f8r on the AGX's and drop 2 psi from the rear tires, add 2 to the front... that should help a little bit. The car did not want to grab at all.

http://www.wwscc.org/calendar.html

Then it's B-Ham on the 17th -- should be the same size course, smaller turnout. There's a guy I work with who's kid likes "watching the race cars go" (kid is 5 ) so I'm going to that one since he lives up in that area.

http://chuckanutscc.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:49 PM

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:09 PM
Ok, so I weaseled my way out of having to go out of town this weekend

Headed to Everett again for another autox event -- Enduro-style.

http://www.wwscc.org/evinfo/next.html

Quote:

This is a consecutive-laps event. You will leave the starting line once, take a practice lap, and then continue and take 3 more laps. Each of the 3 official laps will be individually timed and scored.

I'm signed up for the AM runs. Not that it gets that hot here, but out on the blacktop...

I'm working on an external cam mount that will replace the passenger side mirror.

It'll be secure, but this time, not sure if it will be legal

Schedule:

AM Registration 7:00a-8:00a

AM Tech 7:30a-8:15a

AM Driver's Meeting 08:30a

First car on course 09:00a

Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:57 AM
Kardain wrote:Ok, so I weaseled my way out of having to go out of town this weekend

Headed to Everett again for another autox event -- Enduro-style.

http://www.wwscc.org/evinfo/next.html

Quote:

This is a consecutive-laps event. You will leave the starting line once, take a practice lap, and then continue and take 3 more laps. Each of the 3 official laps will be individually timed and scored.

I'm signed up for the AM runs. Not that it gets that hot here, but out on the blacktop...

I'm working on an external cam mount that will replace the passenger side mirror.

It'll be secure, but this time, not sure if it will be legal

Schedule:

AM Registration 7:00a-8:00a

AM Tech 7:30a-8:15a

AM Driver's Meeting 08:30a

First car on course 09:00a

This is pretty much how they do all the events here, and you do multiple runs this way, and they give you the best 3 lap overall run for your official run time. I like it better than just runnning multiple 1 lap runs, lets you run faster each lap and be more consistent in my mind.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 7:12 AM
Hey man, I'll try and come out and bring my camcorder to record from the side if you want.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 7:21 AM
That would be f-in sweet, Robbie. Its on the west Boeing lot -- take the Receiving exit (just after the speed limit turns to 45 on that freeway (I think its 527 - the Evtt Mall/Ferry exit...) It'll be on the left once you take that exit.

Now, crossing fingers that the weather man is wrong and it doesn't rain on Sat......

Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:09 PM
That looks like a lot of fun and the vids turned out great might I add. I dont think I could do it though (even in a setup car) cause it just looks too confusing I'll stick to straight line cause I'm a little slow

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:30 PM
Quote:

I dont think I could do it though (even in a setup car) cause it just looks too confusing

I'm surprised that I was able to pull it off... I get confused easily

As for the next vids, we'll see how the new mount holds up

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search