2.4L P&P head for sale - Canadian North Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4L P&P head for sale
Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:10 PM
Ok, it's all cleaned up now ready for install..

This head, originally from my 2.4L engine... had 108,000 kms on it when I pulled it off to do some upgrades... I installed the following:

1mm oversize stainless steel swirl-polished sodium-filled valves (from Karo @ Car Customs)
Porting & Polishing (done by me, over 20 hours spent on it) - Intake side is un-touched, exhaust side opened up quite a bit to match gasket (matches Bill's header, and stock manifold as well)
3-way valve grind (by Pacific Parts machine shop, 5th Ave Vancouver)
Pressure test (also Pacific Parts machine shop)
New cup plugs
New OEM valve springs, intake valve rotators
Re-used stock exhaust valve spring seats, retainers and keys
New Fel-Pro valve stem seals

The head was re-installed on the motor, then driven roughly 15,000 kms. Then the #3 piston chipped (due to running the GM S/C without a S/C reflash... ), so I parted it out. Since the piston chunks damaged the head a bit, I decided to take it apart and see if it was repairable.. and it was. It's since had the following:

Milled 0.006" to clean up mating surface
Valves cleaned and re-installed (none were bent, blued (valve face concentricity) ok)
Valve guides checked, within specs
Damaged combustion chambers cleaned up (there are no sharp points to cause problems... everything is nice and smooth, any nicks will fill in with carbon as soon as you run the car... so no worries about using it as it is...)
Exhaust ports re-polished
Thorough cleaning
Re-assembled, all parts coated in Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic during assembly

Closer shot of combustion chamber #1
Has a couple of nicks, and a bit of carbon build-up still

Closer shot of combustion chamber #2
Mint shape!

Closer shot of combustion chamber #3
A few more nicks in this one... not horrible tho.

Closer shot of combustion chamber #4
More nicks in #4... this is the piston that decided to take a dump... everything is smoothed out though and shouldn't cause any problems.

Example of the porting job (exhaust port #1)

Close-up of exhaust port #1 (sorry, my macro picture-taking ability SUCKS!!)

Close-up of exhaust port #2

Close-up of exhaust port #3

Close-up of exhaust port #4

So yeah, price... I'm asking $1000 OBO for it, now that I've spent the time to clean it up and have everythig repaired. The only other 2.4L head on the market right now is from J-Body Performance and runs around $3800... but unlike JBP... I have this one in stock and you know I'll send it to you right away.. with JBP, you might wait for a long time to get it... Plus, I'm open to offers!

...j

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search