Window Tint Laws - Canadian North Pacific Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Window Tint Laws
Monday, December 19, 2005 7:12 PM
I know you cant have the side windows tinted by law in BC but will the cops let you away with a tint in the front if its fairly light...say 50%

I have a 4-door and I don't like the way it looks with just the back windows done.
TIA

Re: Window Tint Laws
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:15 PM
I can honestly say don't do it.

"Nothing ahead of the driver's shoulder."

I was in Victoria a couple weeks ago and got stopped several times in three days. Not for speeding. I still laugh every time i get stopped.

Apparently I drive a "heat score."
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:26 AM
Well than that settles it i guess...
No tint for me than.
Wouldn't wanna be a "heat score" LMAO
Thanks
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:59 PM
i've had my front tinted %50 for over a month now and so far no problems. *knocks on wood*
tho i hear that they wont bug you that much in vancouver, but they will more in burnaby

-------------

Saturday, December 24, 2005 7:56 PM
Anything on the front doors is illegal. You may go years before getting caught... or maybe get caught the next day.

I've heard of some people paying to get it done, and having to rip it off the next day after being caught.

Generally though... if tinted windows are ALL you've got... you're probably less 'heaty' than the ones who go around with coilovers dialed all the way down, stereo cranked all the way up, neons flashing, Altezza taillights, etc. I find the cops will give you more leeway if the car is generally stock.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 7:14 PM
I had inquired at a local cop shop when I was living in Surrey and they also told me "no tint ahead of the shoulders". Apparently, it was mainly for security so the cops can see the driver, especially when approaching a stopped vehicle.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 6:57 PM
That's not the only reason.... Apparently in an accident, if the side windows break, they shatter and blow out.... Ever seen someone break into a car? Most of the glass ends out on the ground, not so much inside. With window tint, the glass doesn't shatter the same, and can injure the driver or passenger.

On top of that, several people have been killede walking in dark neighborhoods when someone with limo tints on the front windows couldn't see the pedestrian stepping off of the corner....
Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:43 AM
Well here is my two cents..

I ran them on my bmw 318is with 50% on the front windows and 20% on everything else and never got stopped by the police in 2.8 years. I have also had laser surgery on my eyes (Lasik) which brightens your eyes one photography f stop (everything is brighter) so when I look through the tint it is the same as anyone else looking through GM stock tint on their car. I cannot drive or walk around w/o sunglasses. My doctor would sign any paper for that so keep that in mind if you have ever had Lasik - I have 20 - 15 vision in both eyes now.. (had bad eyes since I was 5)

I think it is a law that should be changed. TInt should be allowed but not more than 50 percent on the fronts.

www.jimwww.com
1989 Z24, 5spd, 2.8.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 2:00 PM
Nytemare wrote:Well than that settles it i guess...
No tint for me than.
Wouldn't wanna be a "heat score" LMAO
Thanks

WTF is a 'heat score'? (I know I know... damn newbs, right? lol)

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:12 PM
I think a "heat score" is pretty much something that the police are going to focus on more than another car. Ex. if you're driving a stock jbody down the road speeding a little and someone else is driving a "sports" car and speeding the cop will be going after the sports car.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:54 PM
james whitley wrote:Well here is my two cents..

I have also had laser surgery on my eyes (Lasik) which brightens your eyes one photography f stop
i've had Lasik on my eyes and now have 20/25 in both eyes and none of what you speak of. i do know the condition that causes the eyes to require shade in brighter conditions but it has nothing to do with lasik surgery.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:01 PM
james whitley wrote: I cannot drive or walk around w/o sunglasses. My doctor would sign any paper for that so keep that in mind if you have ever had Lasik - I have 20 - 15 vision in both eyes now.. (had bad eyes since I was 5)

If you ever get pulled over I wouldn't use that as an excuse. You're telling police that you're unfit to drive according to BC regulations. I'd yank your vehicle off the road and have ICBC retest you for your license. Be careful.

15.69@86.670 - stock 99Z
Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:27 PM
Theres not a province in Canada that allows drivers door tint or windshield by law. A lot think its legal in Alberta because "well they dont do anything". Thats cause it gets more and more tedious to enforce. They used to enforce it around here A LOT but as the older members move on the younger are less likely to enforce. You can usually get away with the doors as long as your face can be clearly seen. The idea of no side tint is Eye contact for situations like when "right of way" is involved.
Friday, March 25, 2011 10:40 PM
Dude, if you're going to bump a four-year-old thread up, at least get your facts straight.

Alberta, yes, it's illegal but rarely enforced. Same with BC for the most part. Manitoba you can tint the front side windows up to 50%. Newfoundland and Ontario have vague laws that permit light tinting (up to 35%? It's up to the officer's discretion really) on the front side windows as well.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:13 AM
JoyRide wrote:
james whitley wrote: I cannot drive or walk around w/o sunglasses. My doctor would sign any paper for that so keep that in mind if you have ever had Lasik - I have 20 - 15 vision in both eyes now.. (had bad eyes since I was 5)

If you ever get pulled over I wouldn't use that as an excuse. You're telling police that you're unfit to drive according to BC regulations. I'd yank your vehicle off the road and have ICBC retest you for your license. Be careful.

True, I have had Lasik as well and I had above normal night vision then, and its even better now. I pretty much have to wear sunglasses all the time as well. But only the Superindendent of Motor Vehicles can give you that letter, a letter from your doctor is insufficient.
Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:17 AM
Vincent Woodward wrote:Theres not a province in Canada that allows drivers door tint or windshield by law. A lot think its legal in Alberta because "well they dont do anything". Thats cause it gets more and more tedious to enforce. They used to enforce it around here A LOT but as the older members move on the younger are less likely to enforce. You can usually get away with the doors as long as your face can be clearly seen. The idea of no side tint is Eye contact for situations like when "right of way" is involved.

Here is excerpts from BC, AB, MB, ON motor vehicle acts. NONE!!! allow window tint of any kind, couldnt find it in SK MVA as its poorly laid out. I can find the rest of the provinces if you'd like?

BRITISH COLUMBIA MOTOR VEHICLE ACT REGULATIONS

(8) No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle which has affixed to or placed on the windshield or a window any material that reduces the light transmitted through the windshield or window unless the material is affixed to or placed on

(a) the windshield but not more than 75 mm below the top of the windshield,

(b) a side window that is behind the driver, or

(c) the rear window if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right side of the motor vehicle.

ALBERTA MOTOR VEHICLE ACT

70(1) A person shall not install, replace or cover the window glazing in a windshield or in a left or
right side window of a motor vehicle that is beside or forward of the driver with a transparent,
translucent or opaque material.

MANITOBA HIGHWAY TRAFFIC ACT
Clear view for driver required

57(3) Every vehicle driven upon a highway shall be so constructed and equipped that nothing in the construction or equipment thereof prevents the driver, while seated in the driver's seat thereof, from having a clear and unobstructed forward view through an arc of 180 degrees measured from the line of the back of the driver's seat.

ONTARIO HIGHWAY TRAFFIC ACT

74. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) unless the windshield and the windows on either side of the compartment containing the steering wheel are in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the front and side of the motor vehicle; and

(b) unless the rear window is in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the rear of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (1).
Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:11 PM
Nowhere in that excerpt for Manitoba or Ontario, does it say that tint is not permitted. Plus, you forgot about Newfoundland.

One other thing to note... vehicles from places like Manitoba, Ontario, etc.. that have tinted side windows... if they are operated here, they are subject to our laws. Our laws in BC do not permit side window tint, and the vehicle operator may receive a VT.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:54 AM
Ontario is PERMITED, I am from there, the way its legal is if you take your license put on inside of window and can read EVERY lettre, perfectly legal, Manitoba is 35% tint allowed, BC is a No (seeing as how I have $300 worth of tickets to pay due to 5 months of having tint(same cop everytime)), Alberta....seeing as how I just moved from there is a grey area, although traffic laws state a no, if you can see the driver/seatbelt it is OK, but officers discretion. there are exceptions to the rules though(look holes) on where you can legally get tint on driver and passenger windows( father in law is a lawyer/politician) lol

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:43 PM
AJ B wrote:Ontario is PERMITED, I am from there, the way its legal is if you take your license put on inside of window and can read EVERY lettre, perfectly legal, Manitoba is 35% tint allowed, BC is a No (seeing as how I have $300 worth of tickets to pay due to 5 months of having tint(same cop everytime)), Alberta....seeing as how I just moved from there is a grey area, although traffic laws state a no, if you can see the driver/seatbelt it is OK, but officers discretion. there are exceptions to the rules though(look holes) on where you can legally get tint on driver and passenger windows( father in law is a lawyer/politician) lol

As you said Grey area, as you also read Ontario and Manitoba are "a clear view of the driver". Unfortunately the law is up for interpritation, and things get sticky. Daylight hours and sunny yes you may have aclear view of the driver, but night time with a dark interior you have now just lost the clear view. and there comes the sticky issues and potential for a ticket.

newfoundland of course I forgot newfoundland... everyone forgets about newfoundland... I barely did half of canad, if you really want to know for the maritimes dig up the MVA for your province and look. I right now am in application with the Superindentant of Motor Vehicles of BC to have my side windows tinted as I run security company and PI, I'll let ya know how that flys.
Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:53 AM
like I said Ontario and Manitoba can have tint, here is the link tint laws in canada

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Monday, June 13, 2011 6:49 PM
No tint passed the shoulders also has to do with accidents. When you have tint on a window, it saves it from shattering completely - I had a rock thrown through the back windows of my red cav (and the guy fessed up saying he hit the wrong car - duh) and my whole back windows stayed together (looked super cool as the whole thing was spidered!) because of the tint - except where the hole was. Side windows - you want them to shatter instead of coming apart in pieces so that it won't slice you opposed to just pecking you with smaller pieces. If you can find someone to SMOKE your windows, or dip coat tinting, that's legal.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search