Spyder Parts - Canadian Mid West Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spyder Parts
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:18 PM
I've never heard of this brand, and doubt their reputability, so I was wondering, has anyone heard of them or does anyone know how good they are.
I'm seriously very leery about purchasing a cold air intake from a brand like that cause if something goes wrong with it, thats a major repair bill coming your way afterwards.

I am actually looking towards purchasing the AEM Kit, however if anyone has suggestions of another reputable brand (K&N) that would have the Kit, for my 99' Chev Cavalier (2.2L ecotec) for perhaps a bit cheaper; as I am in collage and don't have a ton of money.

http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=1588+4294967263+9893+11920+9194

Re: Spyder Parts
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:47 PM
CIA's aren't really a big issue if you go cheap on. After all, its just some pipe. f you go cheap you could have some fitment issues. The flip side is that you CAN'T go cheap on the filter. I have an AEM intake on my 2.4 and had problems with the filter not filtering well enough. I was getting fine dust and also fine snow dust into my intake. I since went to an Apexi Dual Funnel Filter and have no complaints what so ever. The piping and throttle plate are clean as ever every time i pull the pipe off. I have also heard K&N filters are good but i have no experience with them.

EDIT Please fill out some of your profile... it helps alot to know exactly what your working with

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:49 PM

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:34 AM
k&n will cost u the most but is the best u can get cars are like food u wouldnt eat no name macaroni and cheese when kd is only 60 cents more the same is with engine parts

if it start the next day it can be driven harder
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:23 AM
unless you did an engine swap in this 99, I don't think you have the Eco. AND, to top it off, I think you would be looking at other intakes right off the bat.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:00 AM
Kevin,

As Brad mentioned, you won't have a 2.2 ECO unless you did numerous part swaps. You will have the 2200 SFI engine like I do, unless again, you did the swap.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:00 AM
Sorry David, my bad.
Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:16 PM
the 2.2 ecotec was available in the 1995 and up cavaliers. They were more known in the late 1999 versions. also k&n is good and pricey, if you dont want to go K&N i recommend going Ractive. they can be cleaned and come in various applications, i have yet had any problems with mine plus i get 2hp difference over a friend of mine that uses K&N and i dont have to clean it as often, there is an available rain and water cover that comes with the Ractive filters. the Racvtive filters are $30 over a K&N at $80. in any case best bet is go 100% custom and run it to thelowest point in your car to optimize the air flow. i have a custom front cowl im working on that brings cold air directly to my filter... this isnt cheap but well worth it in the end
Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:14 PM
wrong. dead wrong. on a lot of what you said too.

the 2.2 that is pre 02.5 is the LN2. the Eco didn't start for GM until the 02.5 model year.

main differences between the 2 motors, the LN2 is a OHV engine and cast Iron I believe.
the Ecotec, is an all Aluminum block and DOHC. oh, and the intake/exhaust are on opposite sides of the engine.

next thing for me to pick on, the air doesn't matter where it goes in, as long as it gets to the engine. how "cold" the air is that's going in, doesn't matter either. when moving, there is NO difference in power gain or AIT*. only time there is a difference is on the Dyno. and even then, it's quite minimal. so, by that, you're "best bet is go 100% custom and run it to the lowest point in your car to optimize the air flow." is completely incorrect and pointless to do.

*AIT = Air Intake Temp.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search