2.3L intake on 2.4L 98 Z24 - Canadian Mid West Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3L intake on 2.4L 98 Z24
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:16 PM

Ok people...so I saw and read in a couple of threds about installing a 2.3L Quad 4 intake manifold onto a 2.4L Twin Cam engine...SO I went to pick a part, (scrap yard here in calgary) removed the intake and throttle body off of a Quad 4 and I have hence been working on the manifold to match it up to the cylinder head that is on my engine in my cavalier. Almost done. Just have to paint and rig up the EGR. I just wanted to know the opinions of people whom have done this install, thinking about doing it, or are staying away from the install...In a couple of weeks I will be finishing the exhaust on the car so that will not be an issue anymore.

Let it begin!

Dante

Re: 2.3L intake on 2.4L 98 Z24
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:12 PM
I think AJ has an intake manifold from a Grand AM on his Twincam, but I am not sure if it came from a 2.3 HO or not.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:04 PM
he has the LO intake, makes a bit more of a difference he says. not fully sure what as I have a mighty 2.2 LN2.

Friday, September 25, 2009 8:20 PM
ok time for me to chime in, HO= garbage, LO =good especially if staying N/A, HO lose HP, LO gain HP, so if you want to stay with HO, go ahead but you will be VERY disappointed, and yes running LO, but Im also one of the fastest on this site so be smart LO mani, but I also dont see list of mods, so if this is your first one, junk the Ho go LO, and get the matching tb, which will be 56mm, but be carefule, there were different throttlebodies, and different throttle backets depending on year and application, any questions feel free to ask

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:30 AM
AJ B wrote:Im also one of the fastest on this site

Errr... what? last time I checked there were a lot of people running better than a 14.8...

2010 Honda Fit LX
Saturday, September 26, 2009 4:46 PM
n/a i meant look at 1/4 sticky im 7th n/a for 2.4

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:43 AM
That makes a little more sense.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:22 AM
Ya I use to be number 5 but Im not running again this year as I have to install clutch

Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:04 PM
okay sorry i know im not from this region but it caught my sight... i never did understand most of the engine related threads unless it was explained "barney style".. is there any modifications you would have to make to get the LO intake mani and throttle body to fit my 2000 2.4 LD9?

Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:35 PM
Yes. You need to modify the 2.3 manifold, a couple of the holes need to be re drilled . Your also going to need a spacer made to transition the ports together. The 2.3 and 2.4 have very different shapes on the ports. Search 2.3 mani swap. Theres tons of info on this swap

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:30 AM
I can and will argue that, just get gasket from the year of mani and take dremel to it

Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:04 AM
But you can only shape so much. Even after getting the mani to line up via re drilling some holes it still does not quite line up right on the ports. I have a stripped spare head and you can look into the ports and see the bottom has a small lip and the top of the mani doesnt line up right. You would have to add material to get it to have a smooth transition. Im sure it would work but id be afraid of a vacuum leak.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:06 AM
Yes matching the gasket isnt a biggie. But having the ports not line up sucks

Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:07 PM
easy ix, i know ive done my fair share

Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:30 AM
lol what are you doing different?

Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:56 AM
Subed because I'm interested

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:53 AM
lol, its pretty easy to make the ports a little more equal, takes modding a bit but easy, there are acts on JBO about it, just mainly involves dremel, and ALOT of patience, then when your done you get to play with intake mani seeing as how its aluminum, you'd have to work with Aluminum, and then mold to the ports, or the most part you can get it pretty damn close with dremel, that tiny lip won't matter that much,if staying N/A, but i you can get right type of aluminum then you just measure and mold

Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:11 AM
You can get it very close I agree. But you still need to add material to get the transition to match. Im not sure how or if it makes a difference if it "slightly off' or with a lip. I would have a phenolic spacer made, it makes it so much easier. I like the idea of having a smooth transition into the head.
On the bottom it looks like you need to take off a quarter of a inch or so off the manifold. That also doesnt leave a lot of gasket left either after you match it.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:21 PM
no I mean if you know how to work with aluminum you will not need its a matter of removing and adding material where needed, I have ran all 3 manifolds on my car and used spacer and not, spacer only needed for direct port

Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:37 PM
I have the lo manifold on my 99' ld9 and i did not port match it and did not use a spacer just modified the 2.3 intake gasket and have had no issues with the setup.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/jaredsz24/thumbnail_personal_pic.jpg
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:05 PM
^^^^you must have modified the manifold too, it does not just bolt up to the 2,4 head, and just because you can make it fit does not mean you are using it to its full potential. I still think the prorer way to do this is have a spacer made to transition the ports smoothly together, and a added bonus you wont have as much heat soak from the head either

Sunday, January 24, 2010 3:42 PM
Actually........................

HO isnt junk, all depends if its going on a stock 2.4 or not, a 2.4 with cams and other modifications allowing it to use the cfm that the HO manifold is slated to you will have bigger gains without question but if just bolting on and not changing cams or building a motor the LO would prove more bang for the buck

and if going boosted the HO manifold is going to help even further

even with putting bolt on parts onto the car retuning for something such as the intake manifold that determines incoming cfm of air would need to be done to have everything work together properly

Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:52 PM
I have not run the ho and lo on a bootsted motor as we all know I am N/A, and plan to stay that way for a while maybe just a bottle or 2 lol

Monday, January 25, 2010 6:20 PM
AJ B wrote:I have not run the ho and lo on a bootsted motor as we all know I am N/A, and plan to stay that way for a while maybe just a bottle or 2 lol

yeah but higher compression, better flowing head, higher rpm limit and cams to support the previous items will yield better results with the ho opposed to the lo

Monday, February 01, 2010 11:27 PM
I'm just gonna pick up a spacer from OEM for my HO manifold.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search