Bye Bye Sunfire - Canadian Mid West Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bye Bye Sunfire
Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:28 AM
Well, I am extremely pissed off right now.

After having my clutch kit installed, it appears that the mechanic decided to @!#$ up a rod bearing in the process. The engine makes a horrible racket when the RPM's are increased, and I can hear metal hitting on metal when the car goes over a bump. I highly doubt the guy installed the transmission mount properly afterwards. All I can say is that the car is shot, and I really don't want to put anymore cash into it. I was tempted to do a 3400 swap, but who's going to pull the motor, haul it to a shop, and install it? I don't have the means to do that.

I am just going to junk the car and be done with it. It's only been back luck over the course of running it.

Re: Bye Bye Sunfire
Monday, September 27, 2010 9:26 AM
Well in the next few days, I'll be on the road again in a 2nd Gen '91 RS.

Details:

- 3.1L V6 with 215K on it.
- 4 doors, which I want as I do have to haul stuff
- Rebuilt 3T40 - Ewwh I know, but I am getting sick and tired of using a manual in stop and go traffic. Probably rebuilt due to bad TCC solenoid.
- New Water Pump
- New Alternator

Minor rust on it too. Wee!
Monday, September 27, 2010 11:30 AM
You could just drive the sunfire till it actually goes, if you dont have the $$$ right now.

1972 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray LT1
2008 Chevrolet Colorado, Crew Cab, 3.7L I5, 4X4

Monday, September 27, 2010 11:33 AM
lol...me, brad, & jon sold the cavy on sunday! $1400!

$1000 return on investment for our race tib ...just replaced the shot cluster with my old stock one & replaced the rear strut with a used one from the auto wreckers for $30

Monday, September 27, 2010 1:58 PM
Nah, I am not taking the chance of blowing a rod and being stranded. I am already getting the Cav, no questions asked. I've had it with the crapfire.
Monday, September 27, 2010 2:00 PM
I have the cash to get the Cav, but not to make pointless expensive repairs on a car that is only worth $1500 at most. I have already put that much into it already. Enough is enough.
Monday, September 27, 2010 10:55 PM
3.1 RS' are nice. If you have it still, swap the wheels/tires off your Sunfire before you junk it since the RS has steelies. I had a '92 in almost the same condition, and it was a blast. Had a vert strut bar on it (no idea how it got there, the two previous owners were old women). If you can find one at a junk yard, its worth the $5. I've driven gen 2s without them and it makes a big difference.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:57 AM
The financing company has agreed to scrap the Sunfire. Once I have submitted a work order of the engine damage to them, they will give me the salvage title for it.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:36 PM
Ya...depending on what you'd want for your sunfire & how much is actually wrong with it...me, brad, & jon might buy it off you, try fixing it up, if we cant we'd salvage parts off of it, & sell it or the parts towards our race car we're building...but we'd like to take a closer look at it first & talk pricing sometime. Brad will probably get ahold of you sometime soon...

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:55 PM
Yeah, he's been texting me all day today. I'm not sure what he has in mind, but I need a quick solution before winter sets in.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search