winter boredome. - Page 9 - Canadian Mid West Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: winter boredom.
Wednesday, December 08, 2010 10:16 PM
Dammit, smashed up a fog light and tore my valence off my GLI on a chunk of ice I didn't see on the road.

I was hoping to get rid of the Cav, but I guess I'm driving it until the winter is over and done with. Back into the j-body scene I guess, although not on purpose

Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:39 AM
Ty Petersen wrote:classic, why dont you go to the wreckers and pull some cv's?!?! I got one from the wreckers for 35 bucks...

True, I could do that and save a lot, but then its even more work cuz I gotta rip em out of the wrecker car, plus who knows what kinda shape they are in or how many km's are on the used CV joints from the wreckers. I could install it and have it go in a month or 2 With something like that id rather replace it with a new part, rather than a used one...at least I saved $50 with my company discount from NAPA and with the rebuilt ones I got a warranty on them for the next year or so...so im covered till I eventually sell my car in a few years

1972 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray LT1
2008 Chevrolet Colorado, Crew Cab, 3.7L I5, 4X4

Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:41 AM
Some things are worth saving $$$ on and getting from the wreckers, but other things are better to buy new and have a warranty on....just my $0.02

Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:47 AM
true, although I think I had a 90 day warranty on my cv (could just be PnP's policy though). Either way so long as she works and drives safe thats all you can ask for

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:55 AM
Ty Petersen wrote:True, although I think I had a 90 day warranty on my cv (could just be PnP's policy though)

Probably...Pick-A-Part I think has only a 30 day warranty and that'd be where id go

Ty Petersen wrote:Either way so long as she works and drives safe thats all you can ask for

EXACTLY!! ...and recently it hasn't been very safe to drive, ntm annoying as hell with the vibes, hence why I parked it and im driving my old man's truck till I can fix my car this weekend...

Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:58 AM
Atleast your cavy drove with a cv problem... mine just kinda made a loud bang and made the car jump...

Oh I hope I can get my car fired up today I would be so happy! Just gotta wait to get a ride to napa to pick some testing supplies up...

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:00 AM
Bah Humbug! ....is x-mas over yet!?! lol

Cant wait for my x-mas bonus from work!!! lol

Maybe I might get some skiing in over the holidays too....Magicbus Trip

Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:59 PM
So it looks like I am back in the J-Body scene again. On Wed/Thurs, I will be taking ownership of a '99 Z24. It has a few quirks, but nothing that won't stop it from being driven in the winter. Think of AJ's car, except for the following things:

1. Original black paint
2. Stock height
3. Better tint (Yes, the tint is nearly flawless)

The guy was good enough to let me have the X-Ice tires for the winter and throw in the 16 inch 5-spokes with summer rubber. Other addons are a Pioneer Premier deck, Pioneer 300W monoblock, and a Kicker 12" CVR sub. There is also some unknown 1400W amp in the car and will have to be diagnosed. Issues that need to be address are:

1. ABS light - Sensor or fuse, who knows.
2. Windshield is cracked in multiple areas and will need to be replaced after the winter.
3. Fog lights don't work.
4. Typical odometer LED burnout.

Total cost for the car and these extras: $1400.
Sunday, December 12, 2010 7:36 PM
Not bad. Fogs and ODO aren't really a huge deal, but if you need to get it inspected, you'll have to get the windshield and ABS light fixed.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, December 13, 2010 4:42 AM
The Z is only 11 years old. My insurance company (Primmum) requires inspection on cars 12 years and older. If they make a fuss about it, I'll switch to State Farm.
Monday, December 13, 2010 7:24 AM
So I replaced my driver side and passenger side cv joints this past weekend and topped up my tranny fluid that leaked out...turned out to be the problem...as soon as I pulled my driver side cv joint I could tell it was shot at the end going into the tranny...and that was causing my vibes when accelerating/cruising...now my car rides like new! ...just gotta take the core units back to NAPA today in the original boxes and get my $205 back! Im glad that problem is now fixed!!!

Monday, December 13, 2010 7:32 AM
Brian E wrote:Issues that need to be address are:

1. ABS light - Sensor or fuse, who knows.
2. Windshield is cracked in multiple areas and will need to be replaced after the winter.
3. Fog lights don't work.
4. Typical odometer LED burnout.

Total cost for the car and these extras: $1400.

Sweet Deal! Nice to see your back in the J-Body scene! lol

As long as the ABS works, it could just be a fuse or sensor like you said, I got an OBD2 code reader so we could check it out and clear it. I gotta replace my windshield this spring too, thankfully my company gets a discount at Crystal Glass I got a big crack running along the bottom...fog lights could be a burnt out, blown fuse, or have a minor problem with the wiring. I could check it out considering I wired my 880 hid's in my car's foglights. Odometer, well we could rip out your bezel and replace the led...or swap out for a used cluster from the wreckers.

Monday, December 13, 2010 9:48 AM
Cool, we'll have to see what the codes reveal.
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:54 AM
Sooo...I had a @!#$ty night...was on my way home from a buddy's place when I hit an ice patch on the Anthony Henday off-ramp onto Highway 216 and spun outta control part-way into the ditch...smoked a plastic post & ripped off my front bumper lip into 3 pieces...I dug out some snow...revved the engine...spun the tires and eventually got out...but my front LS/Z24 lip is @!#$!!!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:56 AM
...& now my steering seems a lil bit off too ...after just @!#$ fixing it!!!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:06 PM
From what AJ was saying, 00+ clusters don't work in -99 cars?
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:10 PM
true that brian

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:38 AM
So the fun begins, finding a cluster with a working OD LED
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:47 AM
Ummm...auto wreckers...lol

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:04 AM
Yeah, but it's a bitch to tear the top portion of the dash off and all that other crap.... only to find that another cluster from the same year or older suffered from the same fate.
Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:39 PM
dude it doesnt take that long. there was one sitting on a seat in a cavalier at the pick'n'pull at calgary the other day... you have to tear the dash out to replace it, so going to grab one shouldnt be that big of a deal...

side note, maybe in spring we should have a J meet somewheres... maybe leduc... preferably calgary though lol

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:23 PM
what kind of cluster you want? lol I can tell you the shortcuts hehehe, afterall I did rip out my WHOLE interior lol, I know how all comes out, and know how to get a cluster out in 5 minutes fllat hehe, anyways Brian let me know if you need anymore help, to replace the bulb is easy also, but I chose the better way, went sunflower(cleaner), and odo IS NOT NEEDED for safety inspection(remember Im a tech hehehe), Garret since you broke parts off the front means that ss hood should come to a new home hehehe,

Sweet Deal! Nice to see your back in the J-Body scene! lol

As long as the ABS works, it could just be a fuse or sensor like you said, I got an OBD2 code reader so we could check it out and clear it. I gotta replace my windshield this spring too, thankfully my company gets a discount at Crystal Glass I got a big crack running along the bottom...fog lights could be a burnt out, blown fuse, or have a minor problem with the wiring. I could check it out considering I wired my 880 hid's in my car's foglights. Odometer, well we could rip out your bezel and replace the led...or swap out for a used cluster from the wreckers.
OBD2 reader will not clear abs, you need to either fix or use the scanner from GM the tech2, more then likely the wires underneath where the sensors are located, fog lights are more then likely the swtitch or bad connection at the lens/bulb, Brian bring the car up here Ill give you a list of parts and we will install and you can be faster then Brad, Garret and Ty lol, but wont be faster then me lol

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Friday, December 17, 2010 12:42 PM
I'm tempted to rip out an ABS relay from another car and try that before putting it on jackstands. I bought an alternator today for the Z, so I'll be swapping that out in one of the employers' garages. I love having a heated garage to do this in. It will also give me a chance to get that fubared amplifier disconnected from the electrical system.
Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:55 PM
I'm having an absolute bitch of a time getting that alternator off. I've removed the bottom bolt and the top bolt, but not the bolt at the rear of the alternator. This little pain-in-the-ass bolt is stuck under the intake manifold. Anyone got any tips or suggestions on how to get that little bastard loosened?
Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:53 PM
lol what makes everyone here think there j is quicker than mine...

Well... aside from scotts rocket... I think once I get the last few parts on my list I want (before I move onto a new J or something), im sure we can settle this with a good ol cruise and drag day... everyone seems to forget I have a few turbo parts laying around for an eco

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search