Houston Area Questions - South Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Houston Area Questions
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 1:49 PM
Well.... first off lets just say that I may be needing to move down to the houston area by the end of the summer, so I wanted to know some stuff before I get there...

1. What is the cost of living like in the Houston area... average rents and such

2. How is the area? Obviously there are good and bad, but overall...

3. Suburbs within an hours commute of Houston, general size and cost of living, is it a nice area?

4. Who is in the Houston area? I won't know anybody when I get down there, so finding stuff to do with my JBO friends will probably be at the top of the list.

I'm sure I have more as I think of them, but I really just want to know how the area is, and get an idea of how much it costs to live down there. I don't want to be lowballed on this job offer just to get down there and scrape by because rent is $2000 a month for a hole in the wall where bulletproof windows are required.

As I understand, Houston is a good area. I've had family that lived down there, but have since moved, and I've never been to Texas.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re: Houston Area Questions
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 10:59 PM
I live in Houston, in the North side of town. I wish I can help you out, but I can't. I can tell you where all the meets are at in Houston if you are interested.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 4:31 PM
I know a guy who had a onebedroom apt inside the downtown loop. (610) It was $700ish a month. Wasnt huge but was close to dowtown and close to many nice night spots bars, clubs, ext. You could easily get downtown in a bikecyle if you wanted.

You will not pay more than a grand a month for a pretty nice apt unless you go on the west side of town were apts can be bigger than some houses ive been in.

Personaly. I like the north side the most. I live on the northside. Seems cleaner to me. Not ghetto like the south side. east side is just country. But I grew up on the east side and loved it. JUst not sure if thats your thing.

Were is the JOB location at?
What kind of living are you looking for?

I Live in Humble TX 77396 (look it up) Im about 20 minutes from being smackdab in the middle of Dowtown Houston. Im close to 2 major highways. beltway8 that surounds Houston and highway 59 that comes up north out of Houston. SO its very easy for me to jump in and be on the road quickly. IM also very close to a road called 1960. It stretches racross the whole northside and I would live pretty much anyplace on it. Nice area. ANyplace along this road and you will have easy access to HOuston.

BUt let me know more about your job location and I will see what I can figure out.

I may not respond till after this weekend is over as I am going out of town.

I am all that is man

Thursday, May 26, 2005 4:46 PM
The place is called Electrowave, and I believe it is just south of where route 6 crosses the outer loop, straight south of Jersey Village on the North West side.

Its the only thing that came up in a yahoo search for Electrowave in Houston.

I'm not real sure what I want for living. I don't need a huge apartment but I do want indoor parking. Depending on what I'll be offered, I'd love to rent a house, even if its a bit of a drive.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 5:46 PM
Me and my wife are pricing houses in Houston right now. If you go around the northeast side of Houston you can find houses for around $100k that are very nice and have a garage (a must for a car guy.) There are alot of nice properties for cheap there.

If your renting, I can't help you but Morgage payments are cheaper than rent in most cases.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 5:53 PM
Unfortunately I'd have to rent, I'd never get approved to buy a house with my credit.

Friday, May 27, 2005 10:38 PM
well i work for houston 911 and i can tell u pretty much what the crime rate is in each part of town. but if u gonna work in jersey villiage i would recommend living on the north west side .. cause theres nothing worse than the traffic on 290 and i 10(both the west side freeways) let me know where u plan on moving and if its inside of houston city limits i can check the neighborhood crime rates.. In my opinion houston is a nice place to live. Just have to get used to the traffic.

here comes the boost!
Monday, May 30, 2005 1:35 PM
A.15 wrote:Me and my wife are pricing houses in Houston right now. If you go around the northeast side of Houston you can find houses for around $100k that are very nice and have a garage (a must for a car guy.) There are alot of nice properties for cheap there.

Im landscaping alot of new homes on the Northeast side inside the beltway 8 loop right now. Many of those homes in that area in the $100K range are in bad areas sadly. Even my plants are getting stollin from the houses the night after I plant them.
Great houses for the money. But sadly alot of the people I see moving in are the kinda people I wouldnt want to live near. THugs that are getting loans. THey are even having to build cages around the AC units outside to keep them from getting stolin.

Kings Lake is one of the areas that is bad right now. Crazy thing is that I live 15 minutes away in the next town (outside of Beltway8) and everything is fine. Just be carefull in some of those neiborhoods and take a look around at how the people take care of there brand new homes before purchasing one. SOme of these houses arnt a year old and look run down already.

I am all that is man

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search