toyota cavalier question - South Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
toyota cavalier question
Monday, November 16, 2009 1:34 PM
Does anyone know if here in Texas or the US for that matter if it is legal to have a right side driver before i think about the purchase?

Re: toyota cavalier question
Monday, November 16, 2009 2:02 PM
sum ppl say yeah ans sum say no, best thing to do is call dmv and police department and ask
Monday, November 16, 2009 3:07 PM
maybe dmv but dont like cops so police dept is out of the question.
Monday, November 16, 2009 5:34 PM
wtf? you dont like cops so u refuse to ask if a vehicle that will potentially get you pulled over by them daily?

seems to me u need to stay away from modding ur vehicle at all. u can be pulled over in texas for anything!

Dropped different from factory (altered suspension)
Radio too loud (Noise Pollution)
Missing front plate
Exhuast
Any part of licence plate covered
Altezza Tails

Get to enjoy the police if you like a modded car.

And to answer your question:
Right had drive cars are legal.....if they pass inspection. Which isnt that easy. Emissions is completely different here from Japan. It isnt the fact it is RHD being the issue. It took me almost 4 grand to get my skyline passable a few years back.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:47 PM
lol, i have exactly all those mods except for the radio. Refuse to buy a good system for someone else to enjoy a couple of months from now. i have cop friends so i will ask them just not going to the station to ask, for there are a few outstanding tickets. This was just a quick post to see if anyone knew off hand, thanks for the info bro. Lookin forward to try and getting it. (toyota cavalier)
Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:35 PM
the right side drive isnt the problem. the legality of it comes from being built for the jdm. basically last i heard nhtsa and epa were still dicks and made you change out all glass, airbags, verify crumple/safety/ect, and emissions. i looked into getting a euro car a lil bit ago, theres a company in houston that imports and gets the car to pass national/local requirments but it was gonna be $9000 just to change out everything ect. (this is on a car that was $4000 at the time). if you can prove its a usdm then its no problem, the hard part is finding out and PROVING to the gov that the toyo is EXACTLY the same as the usdm one. they are dicks and it has to be EXACTLY or they will impound it at customs on port of entry. if you could get a crashed cavi same year ect and figure out a way to get the toyo one inside the states (or canada/mex) then swap out the vins and drive it in stating u modded it to rhd you could title it in tx. (a lot of hot rod/rat rod guys do this).

epa cares about emissions, nhtsa cares about safety, texas cares on how to register it (grey market vehicle). customs cares that you paid cesear his due (taxes) and that no other gov entity is trying to block you. (if epa or nhtsa havent verified it yet they will hold it at port which means it hasnt actually entered onto us soil yet, which is like a gitmo for imports except they arent tortured, just detained for years or sent back)

once a jdm vehicle is 25 years old you can register, import, title it no problem in the us. in canada its less. mex doesnt really care from what im told, tho legally they dont like imported vehicles not destined for mdm.

hands down biggest problems: getting vehicle into us into your hands first and not the governments. or paying out the ass to do it legally.

off the top of my head thats all i can think of. it'd be easier to swap the firewall's (parts are only really kept if they are a hazard, epa/nhsta/tx doesnt care, customs just makes sure its not going/coming to a terrorist, taxes are paid, and/or that its an illegal item)

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:13 PM
well if us Nissan owners can register skylines as 240's then I dont see why you can't do what this guy said and change VIN's to register.

But like he said, get it checked out first to see if its legal by all standards.

no more cavy...now 240 =]

I see a cool-air intake
It's got a NOS-fogger system and a T-4 turbo
I see an A.I.C. controller
It has direct port nitrous injection
Yeah, a stand-alone fuel management system
...Not a bad way to spend $10,000
Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:48 PM
Got a friend that just sold a suby right hand drive and it was his daily driver

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:03 PM
Wrap Fiend wrote:the right side drive isnt the problem. the legality of it comes from being built for the jdm. basically last i heard nhtsa and epa were still dicks and made you change out all glass, airbags, verify crumple/safety/ect, and emissions. i looked into getting a euro car a lil bit ago, theres a company in houston that imports and gets the car to pass national/local requirments but it was gonna be $9000 just to change out everything ect. (this is on a car that was $4000 at the time). if you can prove its a usdm then its no problem, the hard part is finding out and PROVING to the gov that the toyo is EXACTLY the same as the usdm one. they are dicks and it has to be EXACTLY or they will impound it at customs on port of entry. if you could get a crashed cavi same year ect and figure out a way to get the toyo one inside the states (or canada/mex) then swap out the vins and drive it in stating u modded it to rhd you could title it in tx. (a lot of hot rod/rat rod guys do this).

epa cares about emissions, nhtsa cares about safety, texas cares on how to register it (grey market vehicle). customs cares that you paid cesear his due (taxes) and that no other gov entity is trying to block you. (if epa or nhtsa havent verified it yet they will hold it at port which means it hasnt actually entered onto us soil yet, which is like a gitmo for imports except they arent tortured, just detained for years or sent back)

once a jdm vehicle is 25 years old you can register, import, title it no problem in the us. in canada its less. mex doesnt really care from what im told, tho legally they dont like imported vehicles not destined for mdm.

hands down biggest problems: getting vehicle into us into your hands first and not the governments. or paying out the ass to do it legally.

there are legal in texas bo and it is 15 years not 25 but x2 on the epa regs and such that will be the problem....

off the top of my head thats all i can think of. it'd be easier to swap the firewall's (parts are only really kept if they are a hazard, epa/nhsta/tx doesnt care, customs just makes sure its not going/coming to a terrorist, taxes are paid, and/or that its an illegal item)

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:53 PM
Lol I see rhd cars in sa all the time I have even seen one for sale in a car lot so I don't think u will have a prob

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search