MSD Coil Conversion - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MSD Coil Conversion
Sunday, February 06, 2005 2:10 PM
I have a 2004 Cav and am looking to do a complete MSD change on the ignition. Have the two coil packs with MSD DIS-2 Ignition and 8.5 wires. If anyone knows anything about how to wire the coils and ignition into an Ecotec the infomation would be greatly appreciated. I know there is a site that tells how the set the Ignition itself but I didn't see anything on coil conversions.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Re: MSD Coil Conversion
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:24 AM
I hope this helps. My pics from doing this on a 2000 Z24 Cavy with the 2.4. It has (had) the IDI with the boots and I put MSD coils, and wires. Make sure you buy Heli-core wires. I read about problems if you use non heli-core wires with MSD (right from the book).

Anyway, here is my link. Hope it helps.
http://www.bayseksolutions.com/msd-z24/

Some of the pages still say "MSD Not Working" However, the pics are accurate and it does work, I just had the firing order wrong originally (idiotic mistake) Pics are updated and correct though. You can see where I mounted the coils, using a sturdy piece of sheet metal fashioned into a bracket.

Here's a link to the current state of my engine bay, about 8000 miles after the MSD upgrade. Running great. http://www.v6z24.com/registry/pghcavman/2

--==pghcavman==--
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:43 AM
we dont have spark plug wiring
if you want spark plug wires you lose power steering cuz the distributor would mount to the cam shaft where the power steering is at

Monday, February 14, 2005 8:19 AM
That made absolutely no sense. If by distributor, you mean coil packs, you can mount them anywhere there is space to mount them. If you meant something else (God only knows what), then you are just crazy.
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:53 AM
? no i mean addind a distributor
and spark plug wires like most engines
this is used in high performance apps with the eco
so no im not crazy

Monday, February 14, 2005 9:02 AM
you are crazy because hes talking about setting it up like the 2.2 OHV ignition system using msd ignition. So he doesnt need a distributor. You are right about the high performance eco setups with distributors but thats not the setup hes talking about.

"Smoke em till they blow"
"If its to loud, your to old!"
Monday, February 14, 2005 1:09 PM
i dont know too much about the 2.2 ohv
doesnt make me crazy

why the hell would you want to do that anyway?

Monday, February 14, 2005 2:39 PM
why would you want a distributor when you can have the power of a wastespark system?To control base timing? Any why would you replace your factory waste spark system with another waste spark system?

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Monday, February 14, 2005 4:02 PM
you can actually wire the msd dis 2 to your stock coils

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, February 14, 2005 5:58 PM
you can? on an eco?
huh learned something new

Monday, February 14, 2005 6:03 PM
You don't need the distribulator thingy. lol

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire

Monday, February 14, 2005 6:33 PM
i dont see the point tho
you wont get a hotter spark or anything

Monday, February 14, 2005 6:56 PM
hotter spark? I think you mean more Kvs

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 3:25 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:you can actually wire the msd dis 2 to your stock coils

Yes, but you might not want to. Remember, I am going off of my install on my LD9 2.4 Twin cam, but the Eco should be similar.

I'm not sure how dealers look at aftermarket ignition systems. If they see you have aftermarket, they will find some way to void your warranty. You probably will want to go with the aftermarket coils and wires just for that simple reason alone. If you ever need to revert back to your stock ignition, it's much easier - you can just reinstall it, get a new ICM Wiring harness [from another dealer ] for around $30 and simply plug your old ignition in and reconnect the spark plug boots.

If you were to wire it up to the stock coils, you would be cutting into even more wires, including (whatever that wiring harness is called that connects the coils to the ICM Harness) another set of wires = more money (Dealer part) if you ever had to revert back to stock. Plus you better get your firing order right the first time if you wire it into the coils, or else you will be rewiring! With plug wires you just switch the wires.

Other reasons to use the MSD coils are that the spark is much stronger, especially in the Higher RPM range, simply because they are a performance part. If you wire it to the stock coils, you will still get the benefit of the waste spark system, but not really a hotter spark.

My .02 worth, anyways.

--==pghcavman==--
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 3:36 PM
sappyL61 wrote:i dont see the point tho
you wont get a hotter spark or anything

The msd dis-2 gives you the hotter spark.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:55 PM
msd does not give hotter spark, it changes primary ignition for 12 volts to 100 to 250 volts so when primary jumps to seconard you have even greater kvs from your secondary system. Compression creates heat not spark.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:02 PM
I could care less about warranty car has 66k on it, warranty only replaces crappy stock parts with more crappy stock parts there have been others running the DIS2 HO for over 6 months with no coil problems so I think the regular output will be just fine, I will have the wiring down soon enough I'm collecting spare ICMs at the moment, the msd is like an amplifier in a car audio system just sits in line and ups the power

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 10:52 AM
jimmythekid1 wrote:msd does not give hotter spark, it changes primary ignition for 12 volts to 100 to 250 volts so when primary jumps to seconard you have even greater kvs from your secondary system. Compression creates heat not spark.

but wouldnt you lose more energy from the spark plugs wires than the coils?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:30 PM
No, it is acually the the other way around. Ignition is lazy,it will only but out as much kv as it needs to find a ground.
For example lets say you have a bad boot at the coil and the spark it arching to ground. It is less work for the coil to find ground an the engine block by the coil tower. So thes resistance to ground equals less KVs. Or if your plugs are realy worn out and your gap is excessive less say like 70 thousands, it takes more spark to jump the gap then it would if it was going directly to ground.
the more resistance the harder the coil works and more Kvs are producted.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search