Air Intake or K&N air fiter= Problem w/ Engine - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Air Intake or K&N air fiter= Problem w/ Engine
Monday, February 14, 2005 12:58 PM
I have a 2002 Cavalier w/ a 2.2 Ecotec, it's got a little bit over 44,000 miles on it, and I keep it well maintained, it is still under factory warranty till 5 years or 100,000 miles comes by....anyways I putted a K&N OEM replacement filter in it when I first got the car and no problems so far........I went to the dealership today to get some oil fitlers and my friends dad is a service manager there.......I could remember a while back when I bought my car there, I asked him if it'll void my warranty if I get a CAI , and he told me that it is a bad idea to do it because in the long run it'll make my car, especially w/ a new engine run crappy and make the computer go crazy and as far as the warranty goes he said it'll affect it...............So with my knowledge now about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, today I decided to ask him again after over two years, w/out mentioning the law, he told me that the warranty won't be voided, but it's not a good idea to do it b/c droplets of oil from the filter could sometime get thru the Mass Airflow Sensor causing the check engine light to come on, and the mechanic and him also said that now they found out that even with the oem K&N filter it'll do the same if your unlucky......I was concerned cause I had the K&N pre-oiled filter, but they said if it didn't cause any problems so far don't sweat it..............So has anyone ran into any problems w/ a Intake System or a K&N air filter????????(My bad for this long story)

Re: Air Intake or K&N air fiter= Problem w/ En
Monday, February 14, 2005 1:02 PM
?
no
i have the rksport intake and no problems yet

Monday, February 14, 2005 1:44 PM
ecotecflow wrote:(My bad for this long story)

If you over-oil, yeah, you MIGHT have problems. Just don't over-oil. You just want to spray until the filter is pink, no more.

---

Monday, February 14, 2005 6:49 PM
So is what Ms. Goodwrench said true........that he wouldn't put an aftermarket air filter in a new engine, because in the long run the car is going to run like CRAPPY and make the system go crazy w/ the check engine light on and they said that I wouldn't notice a big difference besides it being louder when I floor it...... Or are they just BSing me, so I wouldn't do it.........but he told me if I want to lower it, it wouldn't do anything to the warranty expect void the suspension compents, and I'm thinking about lowering it w/ Koni Yellows w/ the Koni Coilovers.....Good Combo????
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:03 PM
Quote:

but it's not a good idea to do it b/c droplets of oil from the filter could sometime get thru the Mass Airflow Sensor causing the check engine light to come on, and the mechanic and him also said that now they found out that even with the oem K&N filter it'll do the same if your unlucky......

If I were you, I'd laugh my asss off and go to a new dealership asap. Our cars don't have Mass Airflow Sensor.. Morons.. Sometimes the IAC sensor can get covered, but it's dirt cheap to replace.. Just be careful when you oil your air filter is all.

Dark blue 2002 Z24, 2.4 Ltr.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search