Oil pressure question - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Oil pressure question
Monday, February 14, 2005 6:13 PM
Hay im the guy that you said knows nothing about car so lets talk biatch. The only thing your right about is that it wont blow up at the first red line @sshole but it wont last, which is why this dudes motor blow up the first time.
Yes 2.3 are good motors but the were design buy a collage freshman who does not know @!#$ all about oiling systems, if your motor was built with a slightly tighter bearing clearance .001 tighter than stock you may experience an improvement in oil pressure it my take longer to brake in but it will last longer.
A stock gtz runs 15.8 to 16.1 why does your car run a 15.6 with all that motor work your engine builder is a jack ass, it's sad you say you know your quad yet it runs like @!#$, angelus has a mild built 2.4 it burns oil like a mofo about 1qt per every 250k ( do to @!#$ valve guides ) it had bald tires the front alignment was way off and I've never seen a clutch slip so bad and yet his full weight including the 2 15inch subs still in the back and a factory intake and exhaust can run a 15.1
Maybe you need to learn a little more about your car or @!#$ just learn to drive.
Hay better yet if you want to run your mouth why don't you come step your little 2.3 up to my 386 and lets see who knows there @!#$.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:54 AM
angelus - There was a mistake, I was talking to Deamonchild, not you. a stock 90 Gtz had test at 15.4. I ran those time in 03. I had a muffler and a cone filter. All the engine work has been done in 04. The car didn't ran in 04. I was building another engine after I blew my first engine(heater hose unplug so I overheat the engine). Why can't people see that the 1/4 mile times are from 03. Do I have to put a date on every damn parts I change? Get your fact straight before bitching.

Tom - The oil get thinner when hot. Ever did an oil change when the engine was hot? the oil is thinner than if the engine was cold. one number is for how thin the oil is and the other is for how much eat it can take before breaking down but I don't remember witch is witch. As for the W I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean winter. They could have use C if it was to mean cold. Event did a long thread with that but it's probably already delete since it's really old.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 3:14 AM
Sorry Gilles but you are wrong

Staright from HowStuffWorks.com

Quote:

Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature. This page from the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ offers the following very interesting description of how the polymers work:

At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.

And yes, a higher number means thicker. Why do you think gear oil has a 90 weight?

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 3:22 AM
That sounds kind of confusing

Here is another excerpt from the same page:

Quote:

The viscosity grade (for example, 5W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Water has a very low viscosity -- it is thin and flows easily. Honey has a very high viscosity -- it is thick and gooey.

Heres the page if you want to read: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 1:39 PM
Mfk-223 wrote:angelus - There was a mistake, I was talking to Deamonchild, not you. a stock 90 Gtz had test at 15.4. I ran those time in 03. I had a muffler and a cone filter. All the engine work has been done in 04. The car didn't ran in 04. I was building another engine after I blew my first engine(heater hose unplug so I overheat the engine). Why can't people see that the 1/4 mile times are from 03. Do I have to put a date on every damn parts I change? Get your fact straight before bitching.

Tom - The oil get thinner when hot. Ever did an oil change when the engine was hot? the oil is thinner than if the engine was cold. one number is for how thin the oil is and the other is for how much eat it can take before breaking down but I don't remember witch is witch. As for the W I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean winter. They could have use C if it was to mean cold. Event did a long thread with that but it's probably already delete since it's really old.

Your just making yourself look more ignorant. I know for a fact that w does mean winter. The W indicates what the viscosity of the oil is when in winter (or 0 c) the later # is when warm. And yes I have changed the oil when hot. I mean think about it: 20w50 is thicker than 5w30. Nuff said, stop spreading the ignorance.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:01 PM
the W is winter Proof Automotive Engine performacne, James D. Halderman page 50

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search