10:1 Compression Pistons on an Ecotec - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
10:1 Compression Pistons on an Ecotec
Friday, February 18, 2005 8:40 AM
For those of you who don't know, I have been wrestling with the problem of what to do on my engine...

One of the front running options is to pick up a set of 10:1 Wiesco pistons and Eagle rods to run the engine NA. How much of a gain have people been seeing from swapping the pistons? (Please don't hit me with the 'they are just a piece of the puzzle' line.)

I currently am getting a better intake, have cams, port & polish, exhaust, etc...

Has anyone swapped their Eco pistons? How was the install, etc? Thanks for any help in advance...

Re: 10:1 Compression Pistons on an Ecotec
Friday, February 18, 2005 8:57 AM
i am wondering that myself.

Friday, February 18, 2005 9:57 AM
ok theres no such thing as a piston "swap" if your doing pistons and rods you will be rebuilding that engine to do anything close to a good permanent job...that means taking the engine out of the car...tearing apart the block....honing the cylinders and getting everything checked and cleaned up...you will be installing new bearings new seals and new gaskets and using new head bolts and you will not reuse those......dont listen to anyone if they are telling you to drop the pan and take the head off and pull the pistons out and throw in your new ones doesn;t know what they are talking about...thats a shoddy job and unreliable at best..email me if you want help

Goodbye Bobby, May God grant you the peace you never found in life.
“Here's my counter-offer to your counter-offer: go f**k yourself.”
—Al Swearengen
Friday, February 18, 2005 10:02 AM
I'm pretty sure stock is 10:1 so putting the Wiseco's wouldn't give you a gain at all.

I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time and for those 15 seconds, I realize, I need boost.
Friday, February 18, 2005 10:25 AM
02ecogase wrote:I'm pretty sure stock is 10:1 so putting the Wiseco's wouldn't give you a gain at all.

exactly what i was going to say

Friday, February 18, 2005 10:37 AM
we'll if he got the pistons and stuff that are .80mm over (i believe) that would make a difference right?

MY 2003 SUNFIRE
Friday, February 18, 2005 11:09 AM
boring a stock sleeve .8 over would NOT be cool. most shops when you rebuild bore .2 over just for fresh material and to clean things up on the walls.

and yes, stock compression of an eco is 10:1.

Friday, February 18, 2005 11:11 AM
curious... .80" is going to give you one big ass oval as opposed to 4 cylinders.

.080" is going to be a lot - at the very least you will overheat.

i've never seen oversize pistons that go by millimeters, but then again, i've never seen oversized pistons beyond .030" but then again, i'm behind the times.
Friday, February 18, 2005 11:30 AM
Air cooled vw's go .25mm, .50mm, .75mm....
.25mm would be .010" etc

I would probably go .010" - .020" over and 10.5 to 1 pistons.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Friday, February 18, 2005 11:36 AM
holy crap, stupid metric....

LOL!

and yeah, i meant .02" not .2"

Friday, February 18, 2005 11:57 AM
i ment .02'' .80mm was a number stuck in my head. i dont know why i thought of that number. i was thinkin of the ones on car customs. i just was to lazy to look it up to make sure i had the right measure

MY 2003 SUNFIRE

Friday, February 18, 2005 8:20 PM
sappyL61 wrote:
02ecogase wrote:I'm pretty sure stock is 10:1 so putting the Wiseco's wouldn't give you a gain at all.

exactly what i was going to say

Well, screw that idea... I'm not going to blow that money if it won't gain anything... Back to square one...

As far as a 'piston swap' we were planning on pulling the engine, etc... I've done a head install on this motor before

Meh... I need to find something to spend my money on now....

Friday, February 18, 2005 8:24 PM
you could get the gm performance crank and then boost it

Saturday, February 19, 2005 5:14 AM
sappyL61 wrote:you could get the gm performance crank and then boost it

That's more money than I have to work with...

Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:12 AM
depends if your going to go NA if so you can go up to 12:5

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search