2.4 Upgrades - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 Upgrades
Thursday, February 17, 2005 5:13 PM
I have a 98 sunfire with a 2.4Eco in it. Most of the upgrades I see are for the 2.2's. I'm wanting a new ignition system new spark plug wires, and other simple bolt ons. Can you guys help me please?

Re: 2.4 Upgrades
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:08 PM
Are you seriously asking for spark plug wires for a 2.4?

If it is a 2.4 it's not an Eco only 2.4 twin cam (LD9). There is a sticky post at the top of his forum. Read that all your answers should be asking.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:16 PM
I was but i'm also wonder what are some good simple bolt ons. Yes I did read through part of the sticky and most of the links and stuff were over 2.2. So mine is not an eco? Whats the difference between the twin cam and eco?
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:25 PM
The Ecotec is more of an international engine, Opel design I think. The 2.4 is an Oldsmobile design orginating in the late 80s.

As far as simple bolt ons. The easiest thing I can think of are some spark plugs Bosch platinum 4, denso iridium but the iridium are definetly not the best for a stock car. An intake would be great for starters, easy to install search ebay I just purchased one for $59 shipped. Headers, high flow cat, and full exhaust will make it run better.

Don't expect more than a 10hp gain though.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:28 PM
no yours is not an eco. the 2.4 thats in your car has like 150 hp 155 TQ the 2.2 ecotec has 140 hp i forget how much TQ. both are twin cam engines. and the displacemnt is smaller on the 2.2 eco
the 2.4 has no spark plug wires.
that sticky does contain links for the 2.4 upgrades. like your intake, exhaust etc etc.
just have to click on the links and look at the websites

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:33 PM
Quote:

spark plugs Bosch platinum 4

i hear they are garbage. your stock AC delco ones are good enough

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:56 PM
I never bought them considering the rest of the ignition is stock I never thought the plugs mattered. So I left them stock.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:16 PM
dont use +2 or +4 use AC Delco plugs..they are the best
Friday, February 18, 2005 2:51 AM
Why not just upgrade to MSD like my 2.4. Around $500 for all the parts, but seems to fire better, esp on higher RPMs. Takes only maybe 4 hours to install. Less if you're experienced. I could probably do one in 2 or 3 hours now that I've done it.

--==pghcavman==--
Friday, February 18, 2005 7:30 AM
theres nothing wrong with +4 plugs but theres nothing better about them either..

the MSD box is a more involved mod then most on here will ever do. you want an ignition upgrade? get some new plugs and better conducting springs for the direct ignition. doubt it will do anything but you can do it. are cars have actually really powerful ignitions. you dont have to really touch it.

id say figure out what you wnat out of the car first before you buy any mods. that way you dont buy mods that you take off later.

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:05 AM
ok, well i'm thinking about getting a cosmic (I think thats the name) intake. Maybe some new cams and gears how hard are they to install?

Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:12 AM
wow he must work for GM!!!!!!

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:51 AM
uh???
Saturday, February 19, 2005 12:20 PM
Some new cams... and... gears....

You really don't know anything about the 2.4 LD9 do you?

As has been suggested - read the FAQ. It's 100% obvious you haven't.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, February 19, 2005 12:49 PM
^^^ like said above, read the FAQ, you will find a bunch of stuff, and yes there is a lot of 2.4 stuff in there. i would also do a lot more learning before buying, but that is just my suggestion.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search