Tachometer troubles - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tachometer troubles
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:09 PM
I know we have all had these problems so I will try to cut this short. I recently put in a Pivot Stepping Motor tachometer in my 2000 cavalier with the 2200. It doesn't seem to be reading correctly, unless the car redlines at 2400 RPMs. So, my question would be is there some way to fix this without really re-working the install? The tachometer has different settings for number of cylinders and I was wondering if someone has figured out a way in which this tach will read accurately by changing around settings. I know a lot of people have a problem reading these things accurately on aftermarket tachs and if someone has a stepping motor drive tach that has figured out which setting to use for accuracy, please share. Once again, thanks in advance and I welcome all feedback on this.

Re: Tachometer troubles
Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:27 AM
You need the Auto Meter Tach Adapter(PN9117) or MSD Distributorless Tach Drive(PN8913) to covert the voltage going to the coils into the type of signal that the Tachs can use.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:58 AM
I have heard that you could use a two cylinder tach, I've never tried it though I just swapped in the Z cluster

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:20 AM
Thanks for the help. I figured I would need one of the tach adaptors eventually. Does anyone else know anything about using the two cylinder function?
Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:00 AM
yep Pushrods & Nitrous! you are correct... if your tach can read 2 cylinders it WILL WORK CORRECTLY WITHOUT THAT ADAPTOR..... i had it in my 97 for the longest time and it worked properly.... the rpms were right on the money...

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:26 AM
Hey PUSHRODS.

You just swaped in a cluster from a car with a tach and the tach worked. I have a 2200 with no tach other than my after market one. I would love to have a stock tach for my 5 speed.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:15 PM
bump

Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:00 PM
I was lucky to fine one from a '99 Z24 5-spd that a guy was selling here on J-bo, the installation instructions can be found here: http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/intertior/cluster_swap.htm

It worked great for me and now I have a tach and a coolent temp gauge with numbers on it

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search