cat converter removal - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cat converter removal
Saturday, March 12, 2005 4:07 PM
What happens if i remove my catalytic converter and replace it with a straight through silencer or cherry bomb muffler? what will that do to the engine without an o2 sensor?

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/jzamarripa/PICT0006.JPG

Re: cat converter removal
Saturday, March 12, 2005 4:13 PM
I took mine out, put it back in to pass emissions, and I had to replace one of the O2 Sensors, and a whole bunch of other @!#$, it may or may not have been related.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 4:41 PM
ok, when you took it out, what did you put in its place? did you have the o2 sensor when it was off? how did it handle without the cat?

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/jzamarripa/PICT0006.JPG
Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:05 PM
without the O2 sensor you will get a check engine light. also the computer will go into a "limp" mode that will reduce performance and usually increases gas mileage. modern cats arent as restrictive as the ones from the 70's. for the 1 or 2 hp you will get its not worth the trouble. also note that removing it is a violation of federal law and subject to a $2500 fine if you get cought without it.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:16 PM
ill sell u an 02 simulator if u need one
Saturday, March 12, 2005 7:04 PM
It doesn't give you any Hp and will probably hurt the performance. You need the cat on those little 4cyl.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:27 PM
Thank you Mfk because if you didn't say it i had to. Replacing the cat with a straight pipe or what not is only going to hurt your power. It mind sound nice but it wont increase your numbers.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:45 PM
not meaning to jack this post but I am getting ready to remove my stock cat converter and replace it with the one from rksport and the O2 simulator from rksport. Will this work okay? Should I keep my current O2 sensor or just use this simulator I have? I haven't heard much about the 02 simulator which is why I ask.
Again, sorry for jacking this post.
=(
Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:04 PM
samantha _ wrote:not meaning to jack this post but I am getting ready to remove my stock cat converter and replace it with the one from rksport and the O2 simulator from rksport. Will this work okay? Should I keep my current O2 sensor or just use this simulator I have? I haven't heard much about the 02 simulator which is why I ask.
Again, sorry for jacking this post.
=(

disregard my question please.... I am a dumbass!!!!
=))
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search