180ø Degree Low Temperature Thermostat - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 180� Degree Low Temperature Thermostat
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:46 AM
OK, go buy a 180-degree thermostat, put it in, and notice no difference at all.

Don't say I didn't warn you, though

my previous post

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 1:12 PM
The main reason I'm asking, is because I hate how my engine heats up if it idles too long. I hate how the fan doesn't come on until ir gets pretty warm. I guess I ought to just consider that fan override mod.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:22 PM
Only way with the 2.3/2.4. It's a common problem. reason why we blew so many head if we don't take care. Only waya is to do the bypass or get a clean or new radiator and new coolant with no thermostat.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:30 PM
sappyL61 wrote:i bet its not
my car never runs below 195 once its warmed up

Just because you run at 195 doesn't mean your thermostat isn't at 180. The coolant can only take so much heat away, and 15 degree soak seems to be what happens. Trust me, you have a 180 degree thermostat.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:34 PM
The cooler thermostat being bad for a car is complete in my opinion. If it is so bad than tell me why almost every F-bodies first mod is a cooler t-stat. (i know it is a different car but same difference) Also if our cars run the best when at operating temp then how's come when ever we go to the track we sit and wait with our hoods for our cars to get nice and cool before the next run? IMO the only downfall to a cooler T-stat would be in the winter when you want your heater on cause the heater wouldn't blow as hot of air.

If your interested in custom aluminum tilt wheel levers hit me up!
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:47 PM
Ecotec came stock with a 180'F (82'C) according to my 2002 service manual.
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:45 PM
boostedeco wrote:The cooler thermostat being bad for a car is complete in my opinion. If it is so bad than tell me why almost every F-bodies first mod is a cooler t-stat. (i know it is a different car but same difference) Also if our cars run the best when at operating temp then how's come when ever we go to the track we sit and wait with our hoods for our cars to get nice and cool before the next run? IMO the only downfall to a cooler T-stat would be in the winter when you want your heater on cause the heater wouldn't blow as hot of air.

the truth is, your car's computer will run your car in closed loop mode if it's not hot enough, meaning it reads nothing from the sensors and only goes by what's pre-programmed. now, with something like the HPTuners software or a stand-alone ECU, you could do whatever the hell you wanted, but the factory-spec computer will get angry if it's too cold.

Re: 180ø Degree Low Temperature Thermostat
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:34 PM
The NPS wrote:I saw this 180 Degree Thermostat on TurboTech Racing's website. Has anyone done this? I hate how my car thermostat will heat up when I'm idling (my old Jeep and Honda stayed at a constant temperature). It's nice and cheap at $15. Is it worth it? Is the instal hard?

i have it done on my 2.2 and it sill heats up when idling, but has a nice i guess you would say rolling operating temp. DO knot that it helps power or anything, just makes me more comfortable
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:52 PM
well i know on my blazer that the comp is supposed to be re-programed before running a 160...but i dont think the diff between 180 and 195 is going to help anything a whole lot

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:30 PM
o well
doesnt matter
putting in a bigger radiator later anyway

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search