new head and cams installed - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new head and cams installed
Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:42 PM
I finally finished my head and cams. I got the patriot performance stage II head and stage I crane cams. On my first attempt i bent my valves, so i decided to tow my car to a mechanic i know, i work on it there, and he helps me out. We got it to run and all with no cel, but the trac off light is on. I dont know what is the cause. If i got my car scanned could that tell why it says trac off. I dont think its a sensor because that would cause the cel to turn on, right? I gteched it tonight and my times were a lot worse, like .5 seconds in the quarter. So whatever is the cause is hurting my perofrmance. Does anyone have any ideas what could be up?

Re: new head and cams installed
Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:45 PM
trac off means ur traction control is off u can simply turn it off by lifting ur e-brake 1 click.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE
Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:50 PM
i just tried that, and it stayed on
Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:59 PM
bout time you get that thing running..

Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:12 PM
red99cavie wrote:bout time you get that thing running..

I know man. I would of had it done last weekend if they didnt send me the wrong valves and lost my order the scond time. 3 times a charm though. I finished my car at 5:10 today and i had to go to work at 5:30. It was cool driving my car the first time in a few weeks.
Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:18 PM
so hows it running? I hope that things got some kick now...me and the bottle fed cavie are ready!!

Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:20 PM
its slower because of that trac off and it wont turn off, but yeah we need to hit the track.
Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:54 PM
actually... the trac off is not suppose to slow your car... All it does is that it stop your ETS from working, meaning you can now spin your tires
Saturday, March 19, 2005 10:21 PM
oh, but the way i see it is that something is wrong (the trac off remains on) and im slower than before. I just need to figure out why it is on, and fix it. Usually the trac off will remain on when the cel is on, but this time there is no cel, but the trac off reamins on. Anyone ever experince this?
Saturday, March 19, 2005 11:09 PM
nope, with my B&M shiftplus on, my track off light comes on. But then one time when driving home with it on, my low track light came on. . .lol how the hell does that happen?

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Sunday, March 20, 2005 10:26 AM
I'm going to reset my ecu and check my sensors. Maybe i have to break it in or something, but being slower with these mods is pissing me off.

Sunday, March 20, 2005 11:13 AM
i wouldnt trust the g-tech either wait till you go to the track and then compare times from stock till now and run on the same track

04 sunfire auto, mid 15's n/a, and still going
Sunday, March 20, 2005 12:17 PM
yeah i know they arent 100% acurate but they should show if it is faster or slower. I did the horsepower thing and i saw a good increase from about 130 to 150 now. But i did the 1/4 mile again and it is still about .5 seconds higher than before. So i figure its my low end. It does feel a bit slower under 3000 rpms. I know its not the cams, my mechanic and i had it perfect.

While i was driving, my cel came on and i was right next to a advance auto parts, so i got it scanned and it seems its reading that my 02 sensor is unplugged. I guess i need to rewire it with better wires, but would that be cause for my @!#$ty low end power?
Sunday, March 20, 2005 4:42 PM
Maybe it just seems slower because you changed the powerband of the motor when you changed the cams and the head. You'll especially feel it under 3000 rpms.

Sunday, March 20, 2005 5:58 PM
thats the thing, i dont feel it under 3000. The cams are supposed to be for low and mid range, but all im getting is top end. My car also idles at 750rmps. Could that mean anyting because thats pretty low.
Sunday, March 20, 2005 7:33 PM
A ported head can slow down the air velocity at lower rpms. My car idles at around 500 rpms, but its an automatic. I'm not sure about manuals.

Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:34 PM
ok, so a ported head slows down velocity (makes sense), so i need to speed up the velocity. Would a bigger throttle body or intake manifold help? I know if i go boost that would get my low end back but for right now i dont want to boost, i might never boost. So if i increase the flow of air, should this fix the problem? Also i have the rksport intake. is that intake's diameter wide enough or is there a bigger one that would work better? or is that intake fine.
Monday, March 21, 2005 10:41 AM
so does anyone know how to get my low end back?
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:37 AM
I was thinking maybe my cams were like a tooth off because i heard that by having the timing off like that can cause a loss in low end with a gain in the top end. Is this true? If it is i guess i can just retime it (my mechanic and i didnt take the side of the motor off we just timed it from the top). I still need to know if a 62mm throttle body would help out with the low end and if the rksport ecotec intake is wide enough or do i need a bigger one. If anyone knows, please respond.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search