questions about pistons and rods - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
questions about pistons and rods
Sunday, March 20, 2005 9:44 AM
ok.. im going to be going turbo soon and i have a question about pistons and rods.. i asume we can all agree that its a good idea to replace these due to more stree on them because of the turbo, but i definitly have questions.. like.. when i buy new pistions, i know to get lower compression, but when i have them put in (asuming this is something that should be left to professionals) do i just put them in, or do i have to bore out some of the block?? i would liek to go with a set of lower compression and no boreing if possible.. as for rods, where can i get the best ones.. not the cheapest, but the "standard" ones that will withstand a good amount of boost... not that i make a ton of money, but if i have to save, i just want to get the right parts... actually 1 bonus questions is, would it be a good idea to change all the valves while im putting in new pistons and rods?? or is that something that i can do later on after getting my inital turbo setup.. ok thanks all

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
jeep wrangler hard top for sale.. 97-up.. rear defroster and smoked glass.. $1000 or best offer.. e-mail for more info

Re: questions about pistons and rods
Sunday, March 20, 2005 4:21 PM
carcustoms.net and Gravantuning.com have eagles rods. good for 700 hp. but people have snapped those before. poor timing, not enough feul.
lower compression is good for turbo, less chance of the engine blowing up,
however, never replace stock pistons with stock size pistons. have the clyinder walls bored out. its like a new clylinder wall if you do that

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, March 20, 2005 4:26 PM
nope cant just throw them in gotta have teh block checked and machined to fit those pistons perfectly

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, March 20, 2005 4:44 PM
ok.. so what kinda work am i looking for.. take the engine to a shop and have them put in (rods and pistons)??? whats the ball park price on somehting like that then???

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
jeep wrangler hard top for sale.. 97-up.. rear defroster and smoked glass.. $1000 or best offer.. e-mail for more info
Sunday, March 20, 2005 4:47 PM
Depends on if you want them to remove the engine or if you are going to do it yourself.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, March 20, 2005 6:10 PM
nope.. this is something i can say i am not qualified to do on my own.. would have to have a shop do it.. and while im at it... if i plane to go boost to like 6psi to start, i dont have to put in new pistons and rods (60,000 miles on engine) but if i do put in boost, is its replacing the pistons and rods something that can be done later without to much trouble.. or should i just plan to do this all at once???

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Sunday, March 20, 2005 6:20 PM
Im my opinion it would be better to hold off and get a plan together on what kinda goals you are aiming for then do it all at once. It is usually cheaper in the long run that way.

Elkahosso

Sunday, March 20, 2005 6:43 PM
id do it all at once.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, March 20, 2005 6:57 PM
well.. im putting together my tubo kit now (maybe this shoudl be moved??) and im looking at a hybrid t3/t40e 57 trim.. and aiming (trying to aim) for around 300 hp.. i know realistically the tranny will prolly not be able to hold that.. so i want something that can do 300 easy, but then control the boost so it can be down lower till i get to the tranny (auto)but i figure if i can do a hybrid setup (pretend the engine can handle it) and do daily drive control to like maybe 200, 210 at around say 8psi (just using this as a demo, not acutal numbers) but then when i get hte tranny, have a simple twist of the know to get 275-300 at say 15-20 psi (i dont know exactly how much psi i would need, but just using this as a example).. so yea.. cuz i figure the tranny can wait.. can be droped without taking appart the whole engine (as far as i know)... but yea.. does anyone have an idea on how much putting these pistons and rods in (ballpark).. thanks again

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Sunday, March 20, 2005 7:03 PM
Auto tranny will hold 300hp and smile right back at you.

You can also hit 300 at 12psi on a correctly sized turbo...

Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:02 PM
t3/t40e 57 trim...???

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005

Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:15 PM
Probably not at 12, but I wouldn't be surprised if you hit it before 15.

Monday, March 21, 2005 12:45 PM
ok so getting back to the question at hand... how much woudl it prolyl run mne to get the pistons and rods put in... and i checked with a machine shop... quoted me about 800 in labor (disassemble, bore, reassemble) but then told me i need a $800 rebuild kit... ?? was kinda confused.. cant i just put in new rods and pistions without rebuilding the whole engine.. i mean.. teh thing has like 40,000 miles anyways and i didnt think it would need to be rebuilt.. seems to run fine now ya know?? any help ?? thanks

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Monday, March 21, 2005 12:58 PM
You need all the gaskets, since it would be stupid to reuse those. You need all new bearings and stuff like that. But yes, $800 for a rebuild kit that doesn't include pistons and rods is rediculous.

Monday, March 21, 2005 1:49 PM
well. the quote was for the kit with no pistons.. ok i can go for that.. but i was looking at getting rods and pistons from karo... so say that costs around $900... my question is, about home much more money am i going to spend if i need this kit (or if i can just get the parts of the kit i need and nothing else) and how much would the average shop charge for boring and rebuilding.. and if anyone knows, once this is all done (with some nice a$$ high performance pistons) about how long would the engine last if i didnt beat on it

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Monday, March 21, 2005 2:55 PM
its really not that hard to do it if you have the right tools i would never pay someone to do mine.... even if i had the money to pay them..... i grew up broke and still am...:-( you learn how to do @!#$ that way....

Monday, March 21, 2005 2:59 PM
^ Its really hard to balance pistons and rods without a shop...

I will be building my own motor next year, and even I won't do the piston to rod mounting and balancing. I'll be more than happy to install them, but I'll let the balancing up to a shop that can do it correctly.

Monday, March 21, 2005 3:09 PM
i would rather let someone do the work on something like this.. i can wire the stereo, fiberglass just about anything, but when it comes to the engine... ill design my own turbo kit, but i would ratehr have someone do the stuff for me... this way if it f#$Ks up, i can blame them insted of myself.. besides... im the type of guy that if im lost, i will ask for dirrections.. cuz i would rather $hit get done right the first time then have to do it over and over and over again... thanks shifted for the info... so im looking at about $2500 for all this stuff.. thats not to bad i guess for a fully rebuilt engine that can take some major abuse...

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Monday, March 21, 2005 3:29 PM
hey shifted.. if i could get the parts cheaper (my uncle is a parts manager for gm) and find someone to put it all together.. would that work.. or do i need high performance bearings and such... ??? thanks man

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Monday, March 21, 2005 3:32 PM
I'd definately get better bearings than GM endowed us with (aka spinning #3). Karo sells clevites, but they aren't on his site, email him: sales@carcustoms.net

Other than that, any shop should be able to put in the parts that you bring them, any good shop anyway.

Monday, March 21, 2005 4:15 PM
berrings?? ok the guy said something like that.. all that kinda stuff would be included in a engine overhaul kit right?

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005

Monday, March 21, 2005 4:37 PM
yes they would... rod bearings main bearings gaskets freeze plugs ext...

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:38 AM
Shifted (KickAzz) wrote:Probably not at 12, but I wouldn't be surprised if you hit it before 15.

he could run 300 hp at 12 psi wih high comp but he'd have to retard timing and run 93 octane atleast
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search