Help with installing RSM's 62mm Throttle Body - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help with installing RSM's 62mm Throttle Body
Saturday, July 30, 2005 6:41 PM
Has anyone done this install themselves? I looked at the TB on my car today, and I can't figure out how to remove one of the cables (there are 2).

One of the cables has a large end on it (much like a bicycle brake cable) and looks like it could slip out of the plastic fitting. But the other cable has a smaller metal end crimped around it. I think I might have to cut that off and replace the end. I'm not doing the best job of describing this, but if anyone has done the install, they should know what I'm talking about.

I am thinking about driving to RSM on Tuesday and buying the TB/Air Intake combo and doing the work in the parking lot so I can avoid the $100 core charge. Any ideas before then would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I might pay them to install it.

Thanks!

Keith.
2003 Z24 Auto. Goal = 15.5s.

Re: Help with installing RSM's 62mm Throttle Body
Saturday, July 30, 2005 7:06 PM
the cruise cable has a C-clip on it and you have to slide it off to get the cruise off , or you WILL break the nipple off

Saturday, July 30, 2005 7:24 PM
I just did mine recently, it was really easy to change, trust me its not as hard as it look, the other guys on here talked me trough it and I still want to say thanks again guys, but If you want to see what they said look for the post I put up asking the same questions

Beware the Rouge Dragon.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 9:59 PM
All I did was take a small flat head screwdriver and gently push each end of the C clip upwards, and also, make sure it doesn't fly off or else you will have a fun time finding it since its so small, lol.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 7:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. I drove to RSM Racing yesterday and put on the throttle body and intake in their parking lot. The install was smooth. The only problem I ended up having was mounting the intake so that it wouldn't rub on the hood.

I notice some gain in performance, not quite as much as I hoped for, though. I'm planning on going to Grand Bend on Friday - I'll post any timeslips I get if anyone's interested. With my mods, I'm guessing the car will do around 16.3, but I'm hoping for high 15's.

Keith.
Wednesday, August 03, 2005 7:41 PM
Keith Williamson wrote:Thanks for the replies. I drove to RSM Racing yesterday and put on the throttle body and intake in their parking lot. The install was smooth. The only problem I ended up having was mounting the intake so that it wouldn't rub on the hood.

I notice some gain in performance, not quite as much as I hoped for, though. I'm planning on going to Grand Bend on Friday - I'll post any timeslips I get if anyone's interested. With my mods, I'm guessing the car will do around 16.3, but I'm hoping for high 15's.

one thing with basic boltons, dont get your hopes high.... if you have a whole bunch you might get a bit, but the gains only come once you start messing with engine internals and the boltons kinda add percentages to those gains....

but boltons alone, small pieces to an entire puzzle.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:21 PM
its a very minute difference but the more you get the better it works

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:41 PM

Event, I'm pretty sure you were offering advice, which I do appreciate.

In my defense, I know enough not to expect huge gains from adding a throttle body and an intake to my otherwise almost stock setup.

RSM advertises a "10+hp" gain with the throttle body alone. Sounds respectable. Also, the K&N ad on almost every page on the site claims a "5.39 hp" gain with their intake.

Yeah, OK, that doesn't automatically mean I'll see a 15hp gain on my car. But I WAS expecting to be able to feel some improvement in performance. Which I did. Just not as big an improvement as I thought I might feel. Then again, I'm not a human dyno; I don't know what a 15hp diffference would feel like.

I thought I would comment on the performance difference incase someone with (like me) was thinking about doing this mod.

Keith.
Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:21 PM
Hee hee....human dyno!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." -- Steven Wright
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search