Mechanical O2 Simulator($5 mod that WORKS for 96+) - Page 5 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Mechanical O2 Simulator($5 mod that WORKS for
Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:15 PM
Yea, I decided to just re-set the PCM and live with doing that. Thanks for the info John H.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, February 07, 2008 7:21 PM
when i install my hi-flow cat will i get a CEL light automatically? If so... i'm going to get this done before i rip it out and put the new one in....or is it just hit and miss depending on the car? I have a fully built ld9, and header back 2.25" exhaust. as well as the m45 charger...

"If you have no clue what's going on... STFU!"
Thursday, February 07, 2008 7:42 PM
It can be hit or miss but with a built car and boost more than likely its going to be an issue. Nothing HPT can't fix.

Now I have a question for you.

When you built ur motor did you remember that you should stay at stock or raise the compression when using the m45?

I haven't followed any posts you may have made about it so pardon my ignorance.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 8:40 PM
i do realize that, but i have plans on twin charging it this coming summer....and yes i've looked into it, and am currently in betwwen emails with josh (if you know him), who has done this already...but thanks for asking, i just want to know about this mod untill i get hp tuners in a couple months, since i can't find anyone around me who has hpt or that is even doing it. but that is the reason for the lower compression, and with the price i got i can't complain....but i know a couple people with my build and the m45, and they all have said it was still worth it regardless....and there's no ignorance in asking, that's why were here

Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:59 PM
(Heh, heh, heh) This thread reminds me of one started on s10planet.com over and for EGR limiters. They supposedly reduce the amount of total dilution & vacuum drop that occurs when the EGR valve opens, increasing performance & milage. I know that this may hold little relavence to your cars, seeing how the most popular engines here came without one (Eco-tec, Quad4), but I figure that since many of us own vehicles that do this might be a good reference to bring-up, seeing how since it's an orifice related emissions cheat. There's a guy there that makes them and is taking orders for them right now (for the diamond shaped gasket type like the 4.3L Vortec V-6, that is. Sorry LN2 guys, but it seems there's not enough popularity for him to make one for us) and every one who's used one has positive feedback about them. So if you want in on this,and want to get one, get over there and tell 'em. And tell 'em 'Dimer sent ya.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:16 PM

Re: Mechanical O2 Simulator($5 mod that WORKS for 96+)
Friday, February 08, 2008 6:07 AM
the link wont work for me.... its really getting me mad..... lol

Friday, February 08, 2008 6:16 AM
mike thompson wrote: ....

quite...

Re: Mechanical O2 Simulator($5 mod that WORKS for 96+)
Friday, February 08, 2008 7:36 AM
Mike Nahodil wrote:the link wont work for me.... its really getting me mad..... lol

fst_99Z24 wrote:here's an exerpt from a honda webpage that i found....simple google searched it:
"Originally posted by SLO-S2000
Ok...I got this tip from some of the local car enthusiasts...and this is one cheap O2 simulator.

It works, and there is no need to cut any wires or anything...very easy as well.
I personally have driven about 300 miles since, no CEL. So anybody who wants to run a test pipe...here is the mod you should do to stop the CEL...don't bother with the electronic ones with only some of them working...and not working all the time. These pics are from it being done STi, but I did it on my S, works just the same.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/silent_assailant_t/TXS004c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/silent_assailant_t/Help003b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/silent_assailant_t/Help001b.jpg

Those are the Spark plug, Anti-Foulers you'll need to do this..just pick them up at any auto parts store.

This modification effectively reduces the amount of exposure the secondary O2 has to the exhaust stream. This mod will allow the 5g and '96 4g guys to avoid the CEL for poor cat performance without having to do the dubious OBD2 "workaround" and pass OBD2-based emissions testing."

there ya go...i tried it and it worked...the first pic explains it. and RaGiN Z (the fake 05).. idid that because i have no clue what he was talking about

Friday, February 08, 2008 8:00 AM
mike thompson wrote:when i install my hi-flow cat will i get a CEL light automatically? If so... i'm going to get this done before i rip it out and put the new one in....or is it just hit and miss depending on the car? I have a fully built ld9, and header back 2.25" exhaust. as well as the m45 charger...

It should not trigger a CEL.

I was reading this, and ( I ) believe it is a stupid band-aid fix for our cars. If you are faking the second 02 sensor's reading, then why have a sensor there? A simulator could fix this.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, February 08, 2008 8:38 AM
simulator $50
this $10

point made, at least enough for me to do it...

mike... I said that cause I was agreeing with you...

Friday, February 08, 2008 8:52 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T wrote:I was reading this, and ( I ) believe it is a stupid band-aid fix for our cars. If you are faking the second 02 sensor's reading, then why have a sensor there? A simulator could fix this.

How is it a band-aid? I have yet to see a simulator work properly. I know three different people that tried usings sims, and they either burned out or did not work. I've had this mechanical sim on my car for almost two years and it works flawlessly. Absolutely no problems. Not a single CEL was ever thrown. Plus, the 2nd O2 isn't used in any engine calculations, so it doesn't affect the driveability. Why not use it?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, February 08, 2008 10:21 AM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:simulator $50
this $10

point made, at least enough for me to do it...

mike... I said that cause I was agreeing with you...

Yep, that's the only reason I see one would buy this. That's how much sims are going for now? A few years back they were like $30.

[
Luke Heier wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T wrote:I was reading this, and ( I ) believe it is a stupid band-aid fix for our cars. If you are faking the second 02 sensor's reading, then why have a sensor there? A simulator could fix this.

How is it a band-aid? I have yet to see a simulator work properly. I know three different people that tried usings sims, and they either burned out or did not work. I've had this mechanical sim on my car for almost two years and it works flawlessly. Absolutely no problems. Not a single CEL was ever thrown. Plus, the 2nd O2 isn't used in any engine calculations, so it doesn't affect the driveability. Why not use it?

Because the real fix would be tune or fix it right. A CEL does not come on because your engine/components are running 100%. Besides I've seen simulators work just fine on GM's V8 cars & trucks so I would figure it would work just fine on a cooler running 4cyl engine.
Our cars are pollution controlled cars and in order for it to run properly, you need all the sensors in check and reading properly. Unless that is your car is for "Off-Road" and have worked the car's computer to work how you want it to work.
For the same effect as this gimmick, you can just break the CEL bulb and it will cost you $0 since you don't care what the second 02 sensor is reading.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, February 08, 2008 10:44 AM
You've seen simulators work on V8's, but you've never seen them work on our cars. Before making assumptions, maybe talk to people who have seen them work, or should I say not work, on our platform. I have yet to find anyone that hasn't had any issues. What is the difference if you fake the O2 sensor reading electronically or mechanically? It is going to give you the same result.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, February 08, 2008 11:55 AM
I was pretty sure you can get rid of the code in HPT

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com
Friday, February 08, 2008 12:01 PM
CheesyPackerFan wrote:I was pretty sure you can get rid of the code in HPT

Sure, but who is going to spend $600 just to turn the code off? Even if they used someone's elses, it would be at least $100 worth of credits.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:52 PM
I'm going to try this. I have had the CEL of death. Spent over $1,000 so far trying to fix it with 2 brand new cats and 2 new o2 sensors. One thing isn't clear. Do you drill half way through only showing one hole or all the way through making two holes??
Saturday, April 12, 2008 11:01 PM
Luke Heier wrote:You've seen simulators work on V8's, but you've never seen them work on our cars. Before making assumptions, maybe talk to people who have seen them work, or should I say not work, on our platform. I have yet to find anyone that hasn't had any issues. What is the difference if you fake the O2 sensor reading electronically or mechanically? It is going to give you the same result.

I bought a $10.00 simulator and its works great on our platform...no issues at all.
Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:07 PM
Did you drill it only exposing 1 hole? Or did you drill it all the way throw exposing 2 holes.
Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:03 PM
RicanZ24 wrote:Did you drill it only exposing 1 hole? Or did you drill it all the way throw exposing 2 holes.

You should have 2 anti-foulers, you will only drill through 1 of them. I have one of these I no longer use (thanks to HPT) if anyone is interested.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:57 PM
I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I know you have two anti-foulers and only drill through one of them. But with that one you're drilling through are you drilling half way making one hole on the anti-fouler or are you drilling all the way through to the other side making 2 holes on each side of the one anti-fouler.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 5:32 PM
RicanZ24 wrote:I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I know you have two anti-foulers and only drill through one of them. But with that one you're drilling through are you drilling half way making one hole on the anti-fouler or are you drilling all the way through to the other side making 2 holes on each side of the one anti-fouler.

Sorry I did mis understand. Drill all the way through making 2 holes one on each side.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:09 PM
I hope he's not thinking of going through the side!?!

One hole, so the projected tip of the O2 sensor fits the anti-fouler. It screws in just like the sparkplug would, just the sensor tip is too long to fit into the anti-fouler, hence you drill the anti-fouler out, so the sensor fits.

Here's a good explanation with pictures of how to do it. I do not endorse the application this person did to save fuel, I will not be held resposible for the ensuing damage for using it as the author stated in this link. I linked it only to show how he made the mechanical O2 simulator. Only use this method for the 2nd (post-CAT) O2 sensor.

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:14 AM
what I thought was interesting is that when I got my 18mm defoulers and drilled them out, the one I drilled out I ended up drilling thru the threads rendering them useless so I cut them off and welded it to the other defouler. The other defouler didn't even have the correct thread pattern so I just drilled out my bung and welded the defouler into it. The O2 sensor is stock, the threads were a little worn so I was able to get it to "thread" into the defouler anyway. Werks great tho! On visual inspection I still failed inspection... @!#$s....

Monday, April 14, 2008 9:22 AM
wow I wish I would have read your reply Madjack before I did this lol. Ok I only have one non-fouler to work with now. I drilled as much as I could, but I don't have a bit big enough for my sensor to fit in. I'll probably have to give it to the shops to handle.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search