Cheap horsepower!! dyno test - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cheap horsepower!! dyno test
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 5:17 PM
05' eco sunfire, Grey. BONE Stock
First I dyno'ed the car stock. Not that impressive. 121.32 hp and 127.32ft lbs tq
Next I thought I would throw in a k and n filter I had lying around. I cleaned it with the right chemical and did not put oil on it. Ran it again, and showed a level improvement though the entire rpm band. ( 2600-6200 rpm).

Max power stock = 121.32
Max torque stock = 127.32

Max power with kandn = 126.10
Max torque with kandn = 134.27

So a difference in 5 hp and 7 ft lbs of tq thoughout the entire band. I was impressed. And this filter only cost like $35
Those runs were done in third gear. Then just for fun I ran it in second, lol 114hp 121tq

I mainly ran this car to get a baseline for the black car. See what that puts down hopefully next week. And I'll see if the venom 400 does anything.

I don't have a scanner, but I could take a picture of the graph if anyone wants to see.

My Car

Re: Cheap horsepower!! dyno test
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 5:29 PM
so how did u get it to dyno past the 108 mph limiter??
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 5:38 PM
3rd gear pull.

My Car
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 5:46 PM
seems to be more a test of a clean filter VS a dirty filter...

cool deal

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 5:48 PM
Maybe I missed something, but he didn't say anything about running past the 108mph limiter. He said he ran in third gear which at redline you would be doing approx 130kph (~81mph). Or were you thinking Rev Limiter when he said he ran to 6200rpm. I believe the rev limiter kicks in at 6250-6300rpm.
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 5:50 PM
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:seems to be more a test of a clean filter VS a dirty filter...

cool deal

No, stock filter with less than 8k miles. Looks new still. Vs Freshly cleaned kandn

My Car
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 5:57 PM
exactly....

stock filter after 8,000 miles would be dirty.... should clean or replace every 6k. think about all the small particles you dont see but get trapped.

even though it may look clean, it isnt.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:27 PM
What kind of Dyno did you run on, can you post your sheet?

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:23 PM
dynojet

My Car
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:57 PM
base line yes, but they are still different cars so you really cant give a good hp number to a certain product until you do a base line run on the car that you are putting the product on. what a run on sentence.

View my MySpace
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:02 PM

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:05 PM
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:10 PM
wow my lights dimmed in my house trying to load that pic!

nice improvments, for only 35 bucks.

Portage, MI
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:21 PM
Thanks man! I can't believe you got them posted that quick

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:28 PM
don't waste any money on that venom 400. that's $400 you can put towards something productive.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:48 AM
In my case, I actually lost hp (2.8whp) with the K&N. The test was conducted with a GM filter with roughly 5-7K miles vs a freshly cleaned and oiled K&N.

As of then, I am running the original GM filter only and removed it as a mod. My observation was, if you don't want to replace your filter every so often and want to save some $$ go with K&N only.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:10 AM
Sunfires rule! (Tom) wrote:I cleaned it with the right chemical and did not put oil on it.

as the instructions state I see. Doesn't it state to oil first before driving? I want to see some numbers with an oiled filter.

Jay

Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:57 PM
J-kub wrote:
Sunfires rule! (Tom) wrote:I cleaned it with the right chemical and did not put oil on it.

as the instructions state I see. Doesn't it state to oil first before driving? I want to see some numbers with an oiled filter.

Jay

reason why it says that is basically to help catch more particles... remember fiber when wet expands a bit.

but you can over-oil a filter

Thursday, August 18, 2005 4:08 PM
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:reason why it says that is basically to help catch more particles... remember fiber when wet expands a bit.

So this wasn't a true test of K&N vs OEM filter since it was dry. Since less particles were filtered, and as you stated the paper wasn't expanded more air went through the filter. Therefore there was more of a gain then a properly oiled filter.

(I guess I'm picky)

Jay

Thursday, August 18, 2005 4:15 PM
Even still.. Since it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges here between an OEM filter, and a non-oiled K&N. If most of the gains are simply because of the lack of oil, that would be even more shocking.. But I'm going to say atleast 1hp is due to the lack of oil.

-White

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You might be a Civic driver if you concider going on a diet 'weight reduction'. <a href="http://www.homestarrunner.com/mrshmallow.html">...That's right the moon... </a>
Thursday, August 18, 2005 4:32 PM
i honestly still think its the fact that the stock paper filter was dirty....

we all know guaze flows more than stock....any guaze filter...

and a freshly cleaned filter will def outflow a filter with 7-8K on it even if its two k&n;s in comparison.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search