have you tried the D.E.I. CryO2 system yet? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
have you tried the D.E.I. CryO2 system yet?
Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:05 PM
Im just wondering if anyone has heard of this kit, or even given it a try.

Do you know anyone with this kit already? How is it?

Tonight we are installing it onto my friends Matrix, and I'll be sure to post our findings on it later.

the CryO2 kit is basically compressed CO2 when it changes from a liquid to a gas it rapidly freezes. This kit, when activated by a solenoid, injects the CO2 into a bulb in the intake tube.

This bulb has enough space inside of it, to expand the CO2 while not allowing any actual CO2 to enter into the air inlet stream whatsoever. The expanding gas chills the inlet air as it enters the throttle body. Thus giving you a cooler inlet air temperature, therefore condensing the air molecules to let more into the cylinder.

It is not nitrous, and does not actually inject itself into your engine. It also does not require anymore fuel delivery.

Think of it as merely maintaining consistency at the track ALL day long with the same inlet air temperature. Like driving on a cool fall morning, even in the sweltering heat.

well thats my take on it anyway.

I'll post more later once we've installed it

Steve

Re: have you tried the D.E.I. CryO2 system yet?
Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:08 PM
Here is a link. They also have an intercooler chill bar, and a fuel chill bar as well:

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=1

Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:15 PM
ive been looking at it for sure since i have a ton of heat soak let me know

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:27 PM
when its coming from someone as reputable as DEI, I'm certain it's going to be good for something. I haven't sunk any money into this kit yet, as my friend's Matrix is the guinea pig.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 6:03 PM
I'm interested to see if this nets him any gains. I'll reserve judgement until I see it with my own eyes, I see much more potential in the vvti controller personally.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:25 PM
I wonder about gains too, but i think the real purpose of this is more like stevefire put it. "maintaining consistency"

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Thursday, September 08, 2005 10:30 PM
i bet it would make you car pick up .5 on a hot day. I have ran at the track with 5 back to back runs and my best was a 15.9xx but when i stopped and shut the car off and left the hood up in the staging lanes it ran a 15.62x hitting the limiter for a good ways in third. that is .3 on a 77deg day just leaving the hood up. I noticed that the car pulls much harder when it is nice and cool!

see ya!

Friday, September 09, 2005 9:02 AM
yeah to bad for a whole cheap system its like 650 dollars. How the hell can they charge that much for a C02 tank, a tube, and a cheap unit to controll it? Also i dont think it will work very well mainly because this major company doesnt have any dyno results. They say that in Dyno test it dropped temps by as much as 50F, but they dont say how much of a HP increase it made. I wouldnt expect more than 5 HP for a NA car with this. I think the rule of thumb is for every 10F drop in temp, expect a 1% gain in HP. So on stock Z24 you should see 7-8HP. Further more i wonder what kind of engine this was tested on? The bigger the engine, IE more air it sucks in, the less its cooling effect will be. So if you buy this product and start adding on other parts like, intake, header, exhaust, PNP, cams, or anything that will increase the air flow into the engine, your going to decrease the amount of HP generated by the C02 system.

This whole system, meaning tank, tube, and control unit should cost no more than 200 bucks for it to be considered worth while.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Friday, September 09, 2005 12:53 PM
a magazine tested it on some boosted import and got 10hp, not as much as nitrous, but the worse you have of a heat soak problem the more gain you get, id prob get alot more than 10

Friday, September 09, 2005 12:57 PM
this looks like a good system i was reading up on it in a magazine a month ago or so, they have alot of features and seemed like it would help on a boosted engine, but the price is a little much for what it is.

Friday, September 09, 2005 7:39 PM
good to cool things, however this is something N/A cars tend to overlook.

fill a bucket with water.....to the brim.....

all fits in there....

now stick your entire fist in it.....

bucket overflows, right....

might be better for boost as you are running psi X atleast 5.... aka 5psi...

however on n/a cars you will lose some volume in the amount of air you flow.

the kit is worth while for those who are boosted....because air heats up under those conditions quite frankly...a hella lot. sometimes more than 160 degrees depending on boost levels...

but on n/a you cant just look at TEMP which controls density and leave out volume, and velocity.

Friday, September 09, 2005 8:08 PM
I haven't gone for a ride in it personally, but he does say he feels a difference.

he is n/a. I wont argue with the guy until I experience it myself.

but as I said, at the very least it helps maintain consistency at the track, so you're not roasted by the heat.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 11:33 AM
I've been looking at this for a while too. As said above, no matter how small the bulb is, it's still something that going to be in the way for airflow. Sure, the chilling effects are going to help, but how often are you using the co2 burst? Is installing a blockage (no matter how small) that's going to make a N/a car work harder to suck air worth it? Boosted options would definitely prosper from the inter-cooler chill though. Maybe someone could answer this, without getting too off topic on the thread, Wouldn't you get the same heat-soak fighting results from an alki system?

Saturday, September 10, 2005 1:27 PM
my buddies got it in his avenger... we installed it during the night in my driveway, really easy install... i havent talked 2 him in a long time so i dunno if he ever got it filled and used it or not... but i doubt it would be that good on an NA motor, i know he was going to get a Hahn kit for his car but i dunno if he did or not...

-------------
Now Blazing: Black Domina
Saturday, September 10, 2005 1:29 PM
BTW he got the DEI kit for less than $400

-------------
Saturday, September 10, 2005 9:20 PM
I went for a ride in said Matrix this evening, and can tell you there is a noticable difference. We took it first for a run with it off then on, and I can tell you there was an obvious difference when it was on. This thing if for real.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 11:10 PM
yeah but was it wroth 650 bucks? I mean for that price you can get a top of the line Nitrous kit, that and can easily yield 25-100HP

13.91@102.77
Saturday, September 10, 2005 11:15 PM
I guess if you're a DEI dealer its worth the money.

don't forget, that is for the 10lb tank/starter kit AND intake tube kit.

I know he paid less then $650 retail for everything.

I will be getting the 5lb kit , tube kit, and the DEI water intercooler sprayer.

Sunday, September 11, 2005 8:12 AM
i used your link and did some rough estimates with the 5lb tank. Thats what it came out to.

13.91@102.77
Sunday, September 11, 2005 2:17 PM
its not 650$ off of ebay....

some people should def LEARN to shop around

theres alot of places to buy this whole sale or near whole sale if you use google.

prices are still high in most places cause its still relatively new and as far as i;ve seen only one other company offers a similar setup...

Sunday, September 11, 2005 11:32 PM
Well, I had an interesting run in with the Matrix in question tonight, and I came away impressed. We stood around talking for 10 min or so with the cars running, got them hot. 1st race from a 1st gear roll I pulled away hard, 2nd race immediately followed (return to start run) he kept up much better, I'd say between a length and 1.5 lengths better showing than the run immediately previous, definitely noticeable! My conclusion: it makes a noticeable difference for sure, still undecided if the bang for the buck is there, but then I've spent $$ on things I DIDN'T notice, so...

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800

Monday, September 12, 2005 6:42 AM
the GTP guys would love this thing

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Monday, September 12, 2005 1:13 PM
like i said my buddy picked his kit up for less than $400, but that was from cam when he was at foy

-------------
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 6:31 PM
Just for clarification, the $650 figure is in Canadian dollars.

I will be getting the 10Lb setup. I have a base run in at the local track. Nothing else will have changed for the next run after I have the cry02 installed, so I guess I'll see for myself what kind of gains I'll get.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 6:42 PM
yea the base kit is like 350 and the intake piece is only 125 something, only other parts to add are a purge and the fuel cooler

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search